mr_music11

Body weight/wing loading

This is probably a retarded question.... but here goes..

I have lost about 20 pounds so if I downsize by 20 sq feet I should IN THEORY see no change compared to what I'm jumping now. Correct?

No.

While airspeed is pretty much entirely a function of wingloading, canopy control responsiveness is more a function of the system's physical dimensions (how long the lines are, canopy chord, etc).

You should be fine as long as you don't decide to skip a size.

Call it +2.5% then if you wish. Either way, the point stands, it's only a nominal wing loading change. Would you call 2.5% "significant"?

No, it is only a small change - but my point stands that your maths was wrong by a factor of 100!

Where did you learn English?

England.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Not concearned with weight gain for wingloading reasons. If your jumping while your gaining the weight you skills and wgt. gain will all go up at the same time :) It is more of a fallrate concearn for me, since I am already a fat ass.excuse me have a built in archB|

ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

I have lost about 20 pounds so if I downsize by 20 sq feet I should IN THEORY see no change compared to what I'm jumping now. Correct?

Only if your wing loading was 1:1 to begin with

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

Let's say he adds 5 lbs. in a couple of weeks of eating like a pig. That changes his wing loading from 1.17 to 1.20 - a change of just three hundredths of one percent.

You'd have been OK if you had left off the percent stuff...the ratios are not percentages. The difference between the two can be stated as such and it turns out to be...

YOU GUESSED IT!
2.5%

:D:D:D

England....I'm still cracking up.
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Where did you learn maths?!

Where did you learn English?

"Maths" is British English.

I thought it was the Queen's English.

:|
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

"Maths" is not a valid word in American English.

So what? That not the only English spoken. :P

I didn't say it was.

The point is, it's improper to make fun of me for questioning the usage of that word, because it really is incorrect here in America from where I post.

It's no different than an American wondering what a Brit is talking about when referring to certain car parts as a "boot" or a "bonnet". Those are British terms, not used in America. They may be readily understood in England, but they are not widely understood in America. So, just because an American doesn't understand those words, is no reason to make fun of him.

In another thread recently a Brit didn't understand me when I used the word "mooch". I didn't make fun of him for it and imply that he was stupid. I pointed him to the urban dictionary definition for the word, to explain it to him. That's the nice way to handle these things.

Just like it was nice of me not to make a big deal out of the fact that you omitted the word "is" in your reply, above, creating a flawed sentence. Is that proper Brit-speak too?

Is that proper Brit-speak too?

Is Brit-speak a real American English word or is that your invention?

Just like it was nice of me not to make a big deal out of the fact that you omitted the word "is" in your reply, above, creating a flawed sentence. Is that proper Brit-speak too?

So why do you suspect that it could be British English?

Is this a skydiving forum or are we playing scramble here?:P

Is this a skydiving forum or are we playing scramble here?:P

Oh I see, now that you've been caught in your own flaw, you suddenly don't want to talk about proper English any more. It's funny how fast that tide turns, when it's going against you personally...

This is the first holiday season that I will have owned my gear.. and know that I will need to watch my weight a little closer to keep my wing loading consistant.

If you are worried you should probably just go ahead and upsize.....
Is this right? Only 40 jumps and a wingloading of 1.23 spread out over two years? I would think somebody would have suggested a bigger canopy. I mean doing the math you are like over 210 lbs out the door. Why wouldn't you start with a 210 or 190?? Anyways, just curious. Not trying to burn....

BlueSkies and Warm Sun!!

No worries bruh! no burn felt... trust me, was a thought that went thru my mind as well. However.. after carefull consideration and lengthy discussions with my instructors and DZ operator, I had downsized to this size canopy earlier in my training and weighed more than I do now... got comfortable with the size canopy that I have now. In retrospect, and in reading more of the forums, I probably would not have gotten to the 175 that I have now AS quickly, but am very happy with that which I have. No issues so far.. knock on wood.. will continue to listen to strong advice, learn as much as I can and hopefully continue an injury free skydivng carreer. Thanks for the post! blue skies
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.