mr_music11

Body weight/wing loading

Ok folks.. the holidays are quickly approaching.. that means the season to be eating. With that said, I am curious... With every pound that we as skydivers gain, it puts us at a higher wing loading for our canopies. This is the first holiday season that I will have owned my gear.. and know that I will need to watch my weight a little closer to keep my wing loading consistant. ( I'm still just a noob and not trying to get into a tricky situation all over some turkey and dressing! Soooo, the question is for all..... do you worry about your weight for concern for your wing loading or not? Thanks ! Blue skies.
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

I got one of those freak metabolisms, I've been 65kg/145lbs since I was 13, impossible to gain weight.

:)

Give it some time/ a wife/ 3 kids and we will see how that metabolism works for you;):D:D
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

How much do you plan on eating?

I've weighed the same for the past 10-12 years, so I'm not particularly worried about it. I also know that suddenly gaining 8 pounds (such as when I put on a weight belt) does not make a noticeable difference in the way my canopy feels.

However, I could see it making a big difference if someone who jumped a small canopy gained 20 pounds over the winter, so it's a valid question and it's good to hear that you're thinking about things like this. Although at this point it might make more of a difference in your freefall fall rate and how your jumpsuit fits.

I usually don't, but last winter I did.

Around Christmas time I had gained 15 lbs, which wouldn't been a big deal but I was planning on downsizing the next summer, so I would have been increasing the wingloading from both sides.

I didn't feel comfortable doing that so I started eating healthier and working out. As a result, I lost all the weigh gained.

I wouldn't be concerned about it now, because of my comfort level with my canopy and wingloading.

Holiday season = Northern hemisphere winter and denser colder air slowing canopies down. So a few extra pounds just evens things out for true airspeeds. :)

Seriously, yes some jumpers do get concerned about their wing loading and weight changes, if they put on significant weight (not just 5-10 lbs) and are already loading their canopy up at some personal comfortable limit.

If anything, this issue gives jumpers a good incentive to stay fitter and keep weight off.

You can't eat enough in a short period of time to drastically change your wing loading.

Take a 175 lb. guy jumping a 150 sq. ft. canopy. That's a wing loading of 1.17.

Let's say he adds 5 lbs. in a couple of weeks of eating like a pig. That changes his wing loading from 1.17 to 1.20 - a change of just three hundredths of one percent.

It's just not something to worry about.

You can't eat enough in a short period of time to drastically change your wing loading.

Let's say he adds 5 lbs. in a couple of weeks of eating like a pig. That changes his wing loading from 1.17 to 1.20 - a change of just three hundredths of one percent.

It's just not something to worry about.

there has been some holiday seasons that i would gain 15-20lbs between turkey day and new years, and then i would have to work it off, it could affect slightly like you said but at the same time even if you gain a significant amount of weight, it would be over a period of time that you can get used to your canopy at all the WL levels between the start and end and then working out IMO
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

With every pound that we as skydivers gain, it puts us at a higher wing loading for our canopies.

I still consider this a good thing.

What better way to increase your wingload with not just the canopy you know, but the size you know as well? :)
Johan.
I am. I think.

No, I don't. But then again, I jump a canopy that is appropriately sized so that even if my weight varies by 10-20 pounds throughout the year I can still land it safely in whatever conditions I might be jumping in.

I'm not worried about it either and I'm jumping an appropriately sized canopy as well that I know I can land in whatever conditions I might be jumping in.

My point is that what canopy is appropriately sized and of an appropriate design is different for different people; however, if you're jumping a canopy in which you are canopy that a slight weight fluctuation causes concern, then its not an appropriate size!

Yes you can. Just not on a "John Rich sized canopy." ;)

On my canopy with me, 10lbs adds a full tenth of a wingloading. That's why the weigh-in and random weighing was such a big deal at nationals. If you were an ounce over the weight limit, you got a zero. Even if you just got your shoes wet on the pond.

So, if you wanted to, you can drink a gallon of water in an hour and increase you wingloading significantly if you're a swooper (then if you get weighed in, you'd get a zero for the round).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yes you can. Just not on a "John Rich sized canopy." ;)

On my canopy with me, 10lbs adds a full tenth of a wingloading.

My example wasn't for an XL John-Rich-sized canopy, but rather for an average guy jumping an average wing-loading.

Likewise, your weight and wing-loading are at the other end of the spectrum - they are not average either, and do not represent the average jumper.

If you're jumping a canopy so tiny that 5 lbs. makes a dramatic difference in flight characteristics, then you're on the extreme edge already, and you should already be hyper-aware and super-experienced.

I got one of those freak metabolisms, I've been 65kg/145lbs since I was 13, impossible to gain weight.

Give it some time/ a wife/ 3 kids and we will see how that metabolism works for you;):D:D

Been 160 to 165 lbs since my 20's. Have had two wives, 3 kids and 5 grandkids. I am still 165. The only time I put weight on is when I want to. Most women hate that I can eat anything I want, as much as I want and never have to worry about extra lbs. ;)
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

do you worry about your weight for concern for your wing loading or not?

Not at all! Canopies are flown by a pilot, not a wing load.
After jumping over WL 2.0 I'm not so focused with my wing load anymore.

I'd like to lose some weight for flying my wing suit better.

is that not closer to 2.5 percent?

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

Been 160 to 165 lbs since my 20's. Have had two wives, 3 kids and 5 grandkids. I am still 165. The only time I put weight on is when I want to. Most women hate that I can eat anything I want, as much as I want and never have to worry about extra lbs. ;)

Ok then you are a freek:P..... Must be nice:)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

That changes his wing loading from 1.17 to 1.20 - a change of just three hundredths of one percent.

Where did you learn maths?!

Call it +2.5% then if you wish. Either way, the point stands, it's only a nominal wing loading change. Would you call 2.5% "significant"?

Where did you learn English?

What's that got to do with metabolism? If anything, that should mean more work, and more exercise.

52, married, 2 kids, about 190, and haven't varied by more than 10 pounds since my mid twenties.

I owe that to level of activity. I break a hard sweat damn near every day; quite often multiple times per day. I work and play hard enough that I think it would be very difficult for me to gain weight regardless of the volume of fuel I consume. I can stuff my gullet repeatedly to the point of bursting and not gain weight.

Not tooting my horn, just using self as example that the best way to not gain weight is to remain active. The more active you are, the more you can eat and not give it a second thought. Hell, I never give it a first thought. Besides, it's fun. I'd much rather split wood, dig holes, play ball, build shit, etc than sit in front of the world's favorite opiate - TV.

Think about it, is it better to have a couple cords of stacked wood, a tree planted, a couple innings of ball under your belt, and some shit built; or the memories of back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back episodes of the pablum shoveled over the airwaves? (With a bonus of being able to eat whatever you want).
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Ok then you are a freek:P..... Must be nice:)

Yes I am. Is nice, except when I lived with a Weight Watchers leader. She was ALWAYS watching what she ate. Since I did most of the cooking, I had to modify my diet to 'low fat' this and 'lite' that. I hated that! Now, I am back to feeding only myself and I get to eat the way nature intended, foods that should kill me off before the skydiving does, the way it should be.:P
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley