freeflychris

182 flipped over at skydive las vegas

I'm not trying to call anyone a liar here, I acknowledge that it could have happened just like that, but my first impression is that there must be some fact missing or incorrect.

I would be interested in hearing a pilot's opinion on how a plane could flip over durring a taxi because of a dust devil.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

Not as unlikely as you might think ... dust devils can pack a helluva wallop. Years ago at Ghoulidge our Cessna 182 11Dildo was parked on the ramp in front of the main hangar. dEd Dugan and myself were about 100 feet away when a dust devil came through and stood the airplane on its nose ... No shit-there I was.
Zing Lurks

My dz in NY flipped his plane a month ago. He ,the pilot/DZ owner was taking off in the grass and his gear was sinking in the wet grass so he powered down and the crosswind flipped him over. This is after a pilot of his ran out of gas coming back up from the south 4 winters ago and dumped it. Then two years ago another pilot with jumpers went up in a cold plane lost power and panicked did a 180 and nosed it down into a road.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

The other day a cessna 182 was taxing to the fuel pump's and was hit by a dust devil causing it to be flipped over.There were no injuries and only the pilot was on board.

HOLY SHIT DUDE. good thing the plane wasnt taking off. was this at the DZ you jump at? or the other one?

either way I'm glad no one was hurt.

did you post this in the incident thread? it should be
My photos

My Videos

It was the one in Boulder City.This has been like the 3rd incident this month.I know they had a emergancy exit the other day and then there other 182 ran off the runway on landing when the brake's failed and then this incident.What the hell is going on over there?

The other day a cessna 182 was taxing to the fuel pump's and was hit by a dust devil causing it to be flipped over.There were no injuries and only the pilot was on board.

HOLY SHIT DUDE. good thing the plane wasnt taking off. was this at the DZ you jump at? or the other one?

either way I'm glad no one was hurt.

did you post this in the incident thread? it should be

Luckily no skydivers were injured, as they were not allowed on the plane. They were forced to stand at the end of the parking lot under the "We Only Do Tandems" sign.

Will USPA insurance help cover some of the repairs required to get the plane & tandems back in the air.:)

Dude you ever been to Vegas in the summer? I was born and raised and will tell a dust devil sure can flip a plane. I watched one pic up a peice of 3/8" plywood and take it up several hundred feet in seconds. I can only imagine one catching the wings of the plane...

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Luckily no skydivers were injured, as they were not allowed on the plane. They were forced to stand at the end of the parking lot under the "We Only Do Tandems" sign.

HA! LOL!!! I would have posted that...if only I were that clever.;)

Sucks that they damaged their plane. The "dustdevils" here sometime are on the border of being "tornados".
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

My dz in NY flipped his plane a month ago. He ,the pilot/DZ owner was taking off in the grass and his gear was sinking in the wet grass so he powered down and the crosswind flipped him over. This is after a pilot of his ran out of gas coming back up from the south 4 winters ago and dumped it. Then two years ago another pilot with jumpers went up in a cold plane lost power and panicked did a 180 and nosed it down into a road and hit a car.Hit a car how many planes with skydivers have a car accident? Only here.

Track high, Pull LOW!!!

I'm not trying to call anyone a liar here, I acknowledge that it could have happened just like that, but my first impression is that there must be some fact missing or incorrect.

I would be interested in hearing a pilot's opinion on how a plane could flip over durring a taxi because of a dust devil.

I was sitting in my truck at a stop light, behind a full cement truck that was flipped by a dust devil. It was the absolutely strangest thing I have EVER seen. I was just incredibly glad I wasn't sitting NEXT to it.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Will USPA insurance help cover some of the repairs required to get the plane & tandems back in the air.:)

Slug,
I spoke with the owner (who was not there at the time of the incident) and a reliable source (freeflychris is also a reliable source IMO but he posted ina vague manner)

There was basically nothing the pilot could do. taxiing to get fuel and was flipped by a dust devil(tornado is probably abteer description:D)
the plane is totaled and the pilot was released from the hosp. bruised ribs.
I don't know which insurance will cover thewreck but the owner has enough coverage that he won't lose anything but time.

I havent heard anything about the other incidents FFchris mentioned..I also didnt know to ask about them.

Dude you ever been to Vegas in the summer? I was born and raised and will tell a dust devil sure can flip a plane. I watched one pic up a peice of 3/8" plywood and take it up several hundred feet in seconds. I can only imagine one catching the wings of the plane...

Yea Its nasty in the Vegas area. especially in the flat areas.when I used to jump at jean we would get DD's (not boobies) in the landing area all the time. it was scary. one guy was even tossed to the ground at about 10 feet and broke his femur. (this was about 3 years ago)
My photos

My Videos

It was the one in Boulder City.This has been like the 3rd incident this month.I know they had a emergancy exit the other day and then there other 182 ran off the runway on landing when the brake's failed and then this incident.What the hell is going on over there?

yea I guess if I would finished reading the title I would have realized it was at boulder city.

I hadn't heard about the other incidents. do you know more info?

was it the same A/C that lost the brakes that flipped?

makes me appreciate my home dz
My photos

My Videos

No it was another 182 they had.PM me and i will tell you what i know about that and a few other incidents.

yea I guess if I would finished reading the title I would have realized it was at boulder city.

I hadn't heard about the other incidents. do you know more info?

was it the same A/C that lost the brakes that flipped?

makes me appreciate my home dz

yes. it's totaled.

from what I heard the fan it mangled.( the obvious damage)

the engine was running when it flipped (taxiing)

From what I gather, the plane flipped tail over head.

so you can guess just how much shit was damaged.
probably alittle bit of everything.
My photos

My Videos

>From what I gather, the plane flipped tail over head.

Interesting. When a plane is taxiing, and its airspeed is greater than the windspeed, then pulling back on the yoke brings the tail down. When a strong tailwind hits on the ground, pulling back on the yoke brings the tail UP - which is exactly counterintuitive. I could see a pilot's first reaction to a wind that lifted up the tail be to add a bit of power and pull the yoke back, which could cause an incident like this if the tailwind was strong enough.

there has been some bad things going on at that dropzone. rumor has it that the city of boulder city is going to close them down before something really bad happens.B|

That would be really nice for you....since you work for Sin City Skydiving....huh Wedge ?

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I also work for Sin City Skydiving and the only reason I started this post is because there really is bad shit going on over there. It seem's like every time I talk with my little birdy over there they have another story to tell me about what had happened. We all know that Las Vegas is posin for skydiving and it seem's like when ever something happins out here know one elses here's about it and I think people should know whats going on because when something happin's like a death or plane crash it effect's all off us.Like for example when I first posted this I got a call from a employee who was very pissed off and told me that I had no right to post this and if it was important that the U.S.P.A, or the FAA would post it. When I hear shit like that It make's me feel like they are trying to hide something.