ryan_d_sucks

Balloon Jumps

Hey, I'm thinking about doing my first balloon jump this winter and I'm looking for some insight. How long does it take to hit terminal from a dead air exit? I'm just wondering how much of a delay I can take if the pilot is only willing to take us up to 3 grand, and if it will be worth the money.

Also, I'm not going through a DZ or anything, because no DZ's here in Indiana offer balloon jumps (that I know of). So I'm just calling around to various balloon operators in the area. I got quoted $195 per person for weekdays and $215 for weekends. Are these prices similar to what you all have paid? I'm not sure it would be worth $215 to only go up to 3 grand.

Hey, I'm thinking about doing my first balloon jump this winter and I'm looking for some insight. How long does it take to hit terminal from a dead air exit? I'm just wondering how much of a delay I can take if the pilot is only willing to take us up to 3 grand, and if it will be worth the money.

------------------------------

Reply:

Vertical velocity is totally independent from horizontal velocity. It will take approximately 10 seconds and 1100 feet to reach terminal and it takes exactly the same time whether you jump from a balloon or a jump plane.

Mike Mullins

Every balloon jump I have done has been from 3-5k. For me a balloon jump has nothing to do with freefall. It is all about THE EXIT! It is really cool to step off of a (mostly) stationary platform, and hear the wind noise change as you speed up. It is also fun because the balloon is drifting, so you are probably not landing where you took off. Balloon jumps are my favorite.

I used to do them in Park City, Utah. It was beautiful up there in the mountains. We had a guy who would charge us like $36.00 each. His balloon held 8. I think I would have a hard time choking up $195+ for a balloon jump.

Vertical velocity is totally independent from horizontal velocity. It will take approximately 10 seconds and 1100 feet to reach terminal and it takes exactly the same time whether you jump from a balloon or a jump plane.

Mike Mullins

But you don't have to wait for terminal (or at all) if you exit a plane. I'd want 3500ft as a floor so I'm not pushing my hard deck. My two helicopter jumps were in the 4500-5000 range, allowing more than enough time to go terminal and track away from the other guy.

Opening it further to those who have done many still jumps with skydiving gear (ie, not base) - how quickly can you deploy, what's the consequence of throwing the PC early? Do you get a PC in tow for a while, hiding in the burble?

that is about right for the cost of a total balloon ride I have paid from 60 to 80 bucks for balloon jumps but usually the pilot will take 2 loads. drop 1 land and take up a second or let you ride along with regular passengers and then bail out when they hit 4 grand or so it is an added bonus to the tourisst experience watching somone jump out of the balloon
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

i stalled out a gainer on my back on my first balloon jump and was able to flip onto my belly, get stable and deploy at exactly 5 seconds(I counted the time from my helmet cam video). 195 is the price they give to tourists who want the whole flight, just ask if you can sneak onto a load a sightseers to get to 3k~ish for $70 and give a $10 tip.

Yeah, that seems like you're getting the full-on retail balloon ride rate.

I'd follow the advice of others and see if you can hitch a ride with some people paying full price. In fact, funny story - I know one person who had a friend who gave hot air balloon rides, and he'd occasionally call her and say he was going up & she could come. She'd give him $50 and ride up in the basket with him & the two newlyweds/whatever.

Until the one time she got there, and the passenger couple turned and saw her and asked, "Are YOU our skydiver?!?!" Her friend was busy getting things set up, so she talked to them a bit more and realized that the balloon operator had charged them ~$100 extra for having a skydiver on board. So she was an upsell...and she was paying to be an upsell. :D

The other thing you might can do is figure out if there's a spot where balloonists regularly go to launch nearby. It's a longshot, but some balloonists aren't there to take paying customers, and might be willing to have a skydiver come along, esp. if you offer to contribute a little to help them out.

Never done it myself, but I know folks who have...

Signatures are the new black.

Until the one time she got there, and the passenger couple turned and saw her and asked, "Are YOU our skydiver?!?!" Her friend was busy getting things set up, so she talked to them a bit more and realized that the balloon operator had charged them ~$100 extra for having a skydiver on board. So she was an upsell...and she was paying to be an upsell. :D

:D:D:D Entrepreneurs :D:D:D Lovei t:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It takes +/10 seconds to reach terminal - even if you only get 3 500ft, you can comfortably take a five second delay, and still be at +/- 3000 ft when you deploy - you won't be anywhere near terminal velocity yet, but your vertical speed will be sufficient to ensure a positive opening. Throwing out the pilot chute any sooner may result in a sluggish, slower than normal opening.

As mentioned by someone else, the complete silence that you start with on exit, followed by the steady build up of speed as you accelerate makes every balloon jump truly unique - enjoy!!

5.8 seconds delay is approximately 500 feet. You'll be traveling close to 90 MPH or around 140 KPH.

Anything after about 3 seconds with a stable deployment is fine. Expect a slow opening. The distance from pilot chute to open canopy will be pretty minimal but the time it takes to open will be fairly normal, only softer.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Paid $89 for my balloon jump at Rantoul, BTW, the best jump out there, even better than the jet. Give me a call if you get it set up. If my canopy gets back from PD, I'm in.

Croc

P.S. We'll talk him down. $195 is WAY too much.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

You don't have to file a NOTAM to drop jumpers.

You do if you want to comply with the FAR's. See 14CFR105-- Subpart B Operating Rules if you don't believe it. You can find that document on this site. Personally, I respect jump pilots, and wouldn't ask a balloon pilot to risk their ticket by not filing a NOTAM.

Lance

doh! You're right - just looked it up. I was remembering it wrong. Looks like you just have to notify ATC between 1-24 hours prior to the jump, and then on jump run. That sound about right?

You think ATC just might use that notification to issue a NOTAM? That sounds about right. :P

Lance

You do if you want to comply with the FAR's. See 14CFR105-- Subpart B Operating Rules if you don't believe it. You can find that document on this site. Personally, I respect jump pilots, and wouldn't ask a balloon pilot to risk their ticket by not filing a NOTAM.

Lance

Show me.

doh! You're right - just looked it up. I was remembering it wrong. Looks like you just have to notify ATC between 1-24 hours prior to the jump, and then on jump run. That sound about right?

You think ATC just might use that notification to issue a NOTAM? That sounds about right. :P

Lance

I'm not really sure if they do or not. I thought notams took a little longer to work themselves through the system - ATC is not in charge of Notams, FSS is.

I'm not really sure if they do or not. I thought notams took a little longer to work themselves through the system - ATC is not in charge of Notams, FSS is.

If you say so. The times I've pre-notified ATC (by landline, as they prefer) for one-off jumps, a NOTAM has shown up in the system almost immediately. Every time I've talked to FSS to try to do the same thing, they gave me a phone number for the local tower or approach control. How exactly has it worked in your experience?

In-flight notifications are obviously by VHF radio, direct to local ATC.

Lance

I've done a couple balloon jumps a in september. I got 3500 the first jump and 3000 the last time I did it. On that last jump I waited about 10 sec and ended up pulling at around 2200ft. So for me 10 sec and 800 foot drop. Balloon jumps are great!! HAVE FUN! Oh, and it costed me $70 dollars a jump....

If you say so. The times I've pre-notified ATC (by landline, as they prefer) for one-off jumps, a NOTAM has shown up in the system almost immediately. Every time I've talked to FSS to try to do the same thing, they gave me a phone number for the local tower or approach control. How exactly has it worked in your experience?

In-flight notifications are obviously by VHF radio, direct to local ATC.

Lance

Well I guess they do publish a Notam then. Does this mean the FAA is actually efficient somewhere in the system? That should be addressed immediately!

FAA moto: "We're not happy, 'till you're not happy.":S:P