MarkTL

Do you listen during freefall?

I can barely hear my iPod Classic on full volume in the plane (L-410) and you're talking about freefall :D

If you're listening to an iPod Classic during the ride to altitude, you've voided the warranty. Can't take an iPod Classic above 3000 metres and expect it to survive for long.
Folks in the know use the right kind of player.:P

If you're listening to an iPod Classic during the ride to altitude, you've voided the warranty. Can't take an iPod Classic above 3000 metres and expect it to survive for long.
Folks in the know use the right kind of player.:P

Really? I've listened to mine on the ride up and it 'mysteriously' died recently... [:/]

The stimulus of the experience is more than enough for me why ruin it?

I wouldnt think of it as ruining the experience... more like enhancing it... i have a couple songs that whenever i hear them they remind of skydiving and listening to them while in freefall would just be amazing.
Live life with no regrets

Enhance an already extraordinary experience?

Oh come on man, people are different.

They can actually enjoy listening to music while freefalling!

WoW! Thats hard to believe right? You can't / don't while they can!
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

I have been using my nano for 2-3 years, 4-500+ jumps when not team training/competing but find that I never hear it in freefall, yes it's loud enough to hear in the plane, and only start to notice it again once I am under canopy. I've noticed that as I come into land or if there are a lot of other canopies around and my focus is increased on those tasks I often "stop" hearing the music also.

my 2 cents/experience

Do we really need to rehash this every two weeks?

I don't need music, the voices in my head are already muttering about the folks that keep reposting this over and over and over and over.

:ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Guys who jump with mp3 players... do you ever consider that in an emergency situation it's distracting? Esp. under canopy. Pop quiz. canopy wrap. what do you do? COMMUNICATE! How the hell do you hear other canopy pilots if your blasting My Humps on top of the wind?

Guys who jump with mp3 players... do you ever consider that in an emergency situation it's distracting? Esp. under canopy. Pop quiz. canopy wrap. what do you do? COMMUNICATE! How the hell do you hear other canopy pilots if your blasting My Humps on top of the wind?

Pop quiz, hotshot...can music make you MORE or LESS attentive and concentrated? Google before answering, you'll likely be surprised.
Can you believe that some people actually wear BLUE jumpsuits? I mean, C'MON!!! You can't see those !@#%!~! in the sky when they're wearing blue. Same with those idiots that wear white jumpsuits in cloudy areas. Let's make a rule! Oh, and those belly people that wear white gloves? PuhLEEZE! Can't see their hands! And full face helmets? Those HAVE to go, because they do affect peripheral vision.
And skateboard shoes? How can you wear those? They're for....
SKATEBOARDING, not SKYDIVING. They don't have enough ankle support, and the black/green/grey ones? You can't see someone's feet when they wear them, because from above, they merely blend in. One might pop off in a skydive and hit you in the head and then you'll be unconscious and if you're dumb enough to jump with people wearing black/grey/green skateboard shoes, you're probably dumb enough to not have an AAD, and so you should probably be bowling or golfing instead.
:P

p.s. I don't have "my humps." Is it a worthwhile skydiving song? I tend to lean towards Alter Bridge cuz Miles has done a few skydives, and he writes a lot about flying and wings....

I find music breaks my concentration. Some people even listen to it when driving around a racetrack. I could never get that. At the track I listen to the engine, the tires and everything in between. In the air I listen to the wind. That's just me. I sit down to chew my gum too...

-Michael

This is why Brits are so boring in bed.

That may well say more about your choice of playmate than the inadequacies of my countrymen :P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

This is why Brits are so boring in bed.

That may well say more about your choice of playmate than the inadequacies of my countrymen :P

PEGandMEG might prefer vertical smiles;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I find music breaks my concentration. Some people even listen to it when driving around a racetrack. I could never get that. -Michael

This doesn't surprise me in the least. :P:D
Scientifically, some musical forms have been proven time and again to dramatically increase concentration. It's a recommended study tool in many programs. I've already posted more than a dozen links in another thread on this subject.
Some folks chew gum...it creates a natural bio-rhythm. I just happen to like the bio-rhythm that 10 Man Push creates.

This subject really pisses you off, doesn't it?

Nope.
I find it humorous as much as anything. Jumping with music isn't for everyone, just as there are those incapable of safely driving down the road while listening to talk radio... Some can't even walk and chew gum (but listening to music while walking may help cure that problem). ;)

Pop quiz, hotshot...can music make you MORE or LESS attentive and concentrated? Google before answering, you'll likely be surprised.
Can you believe that some people actually wear BLUE jumpsuits? I mean, C'MON!!! You can't see those !@#%!~! in the sky when they're wearing blue. Same with those idiots that wear white jumpsuits in cloudy areas. Let's make a rule! Oh, and those belly people that wear white gloves? PuhLEEZE! Can't see their hands! And full face helmets? Those HAVE to go, because they do affect peripheral vision.
And skateboard shoes? How can you wear those? They're for....
SKATEBOARDING, not SKYDIVING. They don't have enough ankle support, and the black/green/grey ones? You can't see someone's feet when they wear them, because from above, they merely blend in. One might pop off in a skydive and hit you in the head and then you'll be unconscious and if you're dumb enough to jump with people wearing black/grey/green skateboard shoes, you're probably dumb enough to not have an AAD, and so you should probably be bowling or golfing instead.
:P

p.s. I don't have "my humps." Is it a worthwhile skydiving song? I tend to lean towards Alter Bridge cuz Miles has done a few skydives, and he writes a lot about flying and wings....

I can't believe that no one called you on this one.
You are comparing safety devices (helmets) and fashion (suits) to added distractions(MP3 player)?

Come on Douglas, you are more intelligent than that.

white/blue suits skate shoes are not in the same universe as ipod?

You're condoning this trend? YOU may listen to music genre that enhances concentration but I hardly think the many others do.

I have a habit of hooting and hollering (whew whoo's)
under canopy. especially when There is another canopy in proximity. It's my way of being sure the
other pilots knows I'm there.
My photos

My Videos