c2ortiz

Safest way to recieve payment

Thought I'd just quickly ask what the safest way to take payment for the sale of a rig would be? I know western union is out and paypal doesn't do that big of a payout, does it? Any suggestions?

WU is not out. Your are making it sounds like you are the seller. In that case, feel free to take WU. Just make sure to RECEIVE the funds PRIOR to dispatching the rig. And what I mean by RECEIVE is GO to the WU office and get them to CASH the transfer. Also, make sure that you are sending to the same address the transfer came from. Why ? Because otherwise the scammer may "sell" something to someone else posing as you, and that unsuspecting buyer will send "him" the funds. So the transfer will be legit, and you will be picking up the funds. Except for a few weeks later you will have the cops at your door.

Paypal is a good way, and their limit (if they even have one) is MUCH higher than cost of a rig. The associated costs are the transfer fee (2.9% +30c in most cases, and the crossborder fee if going between countries).

COD is another option.

good luck

Thought I'd just quickly ask what the safest way to take payment for the sale of a rig would be? I know western union is out and paypal doesn't do that big of a payout, does it? Any suggestions?

You can receive thousands of dollars through paypal, although doing so requires you to upgrade from the "personal" account to one where paypal gets about 3% of the total transfered plus cross-border fees.

Within the US I'd prefer to get a bank check which I can validate as real before I ship the goods. That only costs the sender ~$25 regardless of how much you're selling the rig for.

You can receive thousands of dollars through paypal, although doing so requires you to upgrade from the "personal" account to one where paypal gets about 3% of the total transfered plus cross-border fees.

Within the US I'd prefer to get a bank check which I can validate as real before I ship the goods. That only costs the sender ~$25 regardless of how much you're selling the rig for.

What about transfering to your bank account from paypal once you have been paid, I have always seen a $500 a month limit to withdrawl, I have the paypal plus account or what ever it is. Also when you say bank check, does that mean they give the funds to their bank and the bank cuts a check? Is that why it is $25 to the buyer?

WU is not out. Your are making it sounds like you are the seller. In that case, feel free to take WU. Just make sure to RECEIVE the funds PRIOR to dispatching the rig. And what I mean by RECEIVE is GO to the WU office and get them to CASH the transfer. Also, make sure that you are sending to the same address the transfer came from. Why ? Because otherwise the scammer may "sell" something to someone else posing as you, and that unsuspecting buyer will send "him" the funds. So the transfer will be legit, and you will be picking up the funds. Except for a few weeks later you will have the cops at your door.

Paypal is a good way, and their limit (if they even have one) is MUCH higher than cost of a rig. The associated costs are the transfer fee (2.9% +30c in most cases, and the crossborder fee if going between countries).

COD is another option.

good luck

Yes, I am the seller. I just like to make sure that both sides are protected in a sale of anything, from craigslist to here. I don't want to get screwed over, ya know.
Okay, so WU is okay, so long as I cash it out first, right? Sorry and what is a COD? Thanks in advance!

what is a COD?

Cash On Delivery
Hens COD

Just be careful what ever way you do it.
Here is my experience just resonantly

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3398220;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

At the end is a email from the guy!!!
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Also when you say bank check, does that mean they give the funds to their bank and the bank cuts a check?

Yep. The funds are placed on hold until either you cash the check or the check is returned. The bank is required to wait a while (about 90 days IIRC) before paying on a "lost" check.

Is that why it is $25 to the buyer?

RIght