prodiver913

Winter gloves?????

I did a jump today here in central PA and it was FREEZING!!! I am using some gloves with latex under them to hold in the heat but my hands (as well as everyone else on the jump) are freezing and hurt pretty bad. What are the best and warmest gloves you can get for skydiving and still be able to do basic functions like pull, steer, collapse slider, etc.???????
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

Hey,

I'm up in the great north (aka Canada) and we jump year round at a few DZ's. It's definitely not warm, but still very fun and beautiful.

The key to getting warm gloves is that they HAVE to be windproof, not resistant. Latex gloves help, but if your outer layer isn't windproof, the wind is simply going through them and basically touching your skin directly through the latex. It's tough to find the right glove...until now!

I've found a pair of windproof gloves made for biking. They are rated to -7 C (19 degrees F). I haven't had a chance to take them on a jump,but I can tell you that I've been on my CBR 600RR doing 170 Kph down the highway holding out my hand for about a minute and NOTHING. Not cold, painful or anything.

The gloves also have silicone grips on the fingers and the 2 smallest fingers are together. And they have 2 fluffy patches to wipe your snotties as well! Haha They're also VERY thin and not restrictive at all!

I've attached a picture.

If you can't find them, I'd be happy to pick some up and send them off your way. I bought them at Mountain Equipment Co-Op.

Later!

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/glove9004.html
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I just use my normal summer gloves + glove liners

edit: ask in your dz shop what they got!

Probably works in the UK.

In winter in the north central USA it gets a whole lot colder than the UK (I am an ex-pat Brit living in Chicago).

I use neoprene gloves - I think they are marketed to hunters.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I jump all winter in upstate NY and yes it is damn cold. I use Square1 winter weight gloves with their glove liners underneath. I also put one of those little hand warmer packets on the back of each hand (the back not the palm). This seems to work pretty well, but I don't know of any way to completely escape the cold in the winter up north.

If you want to jump all winter you have to expect to be cold, and I've found that the first jump of the day is always the worst. They get better as you go...kind of like doing a canon ball into a cold pool, you have to gt used to the water.
Well behaved women don't often make history.

I have used Ice Fishing Gloves for the past 30 years I could get them from K-mart and Sports Authority, for $8.00. They are neoprene palms and come in sizes. I would get as small as possible for good gripping. It was fun to land and complain about my hands were sweating. The others were gripping about the cold.

I have used Ice Fishing Gloves for the past 30 years I could get them from K-mart and Sports Authority, for $8.00. They are neoprene palms and come in sizes. I would get as small as possible for good gripping. It was fun to land and complain about my hands were sweating. The others were gripping about the cold.

I also use fishing gloves and tried them out for the first time this weekend.
Usually by the time I get to 200 feet i'm in so much pain that I'm grimacing...not this time! Fishing gloves work well.

Jordan
I'm like a chocolate covered pretzel...I might be kind of melty but dang, I'm exquisite!

Try motocross gloves for cold weather. I got a pair of Thor gloves with neoprene backs and synthetic seude palms that are really nice. They also have tacky rubber fingertips which help for grip as well as a little bump padding on the knuckles. The best feature is that they're pre-curved, so it's not a strain to hold toggles, pull handles, etc.

BTW, nice avatar photo. Then again, I'm probably biased because I shot it. ;) I'm guessing you pulled it from the Skydive Delmarva site--if you're interested in the full-res version, PM me.

Lance

I wear Henri Lloyd Stealth Winter Gloves from Maui Pro Sailing - http://mauriprosailing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HENY80034C&Category_Code=HENGLO. Neoprene at the arm side, good grip and velcro. All in all, I think worth the money. And still a good sense of touch.

I have exactly these gloves and have posted a link to them on here before - probably about this time last year. Awesome gloves and don't inhibit my feel compared to bulkier snow sport type gloves.

I've been using akando gloves (http://www.akando.com) for a few winters now. I just ordered my 4th pair (they don't last forever). I've owned a LOT of gloves... my hands don't do well in the cold and I'm always trying to find better winter gloves. Akando are the best I've found so far for non-bulky skydiving gloves. I have tried football gloves, mechanics gloves, cross country skiing gloves, and a bunch of different skydiving gloves.

First I got akando's old winter gloves. Used them all season and then went to order another pair last year or two years ago and found that they weren't selling them anymore. Emailed them (they have great support) and they told me that they had new windstopper gloves, which are even better than the winter gloves. I ended up ordering one of the last pairs of winter gloves they had in stock along with a pair of windstopper gloves.

Anyway, reading this thread got me thinking about buying some new gloves again. Got my first hole in one of my winter gloves a few weeks ago. Windstopper gloves have no holes but they're getting a bit worn out. So again I went to the site and found that they have a limited supply of windstopper gloves, but they are back to selling winter gloves. So I emailed them again to ask what was going on.

They told me that the new winter gloves combine the windstopper material with added lining to make them even warmer. I ordered a pair... don't have em yet. Shipping (from Croatia) is free from Akando's site though.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention the new akando winter gloves in case anyone is interested. Haven't seen em for sale anywhere other than Akando's site.

Dave