Sangi

Trick with tandem

What would happen if through you standing on the tandem, the drogue were to become released?

Try to learn to think of all the possible outcomes of an action before you kill yourself or others performing a trick.

It's one way to survive this sport.:)

No, you probably misunderstood me :)

I meant when the drogue is already released. The guy is standing on the tandem, the drogue is released and he is holding to it, it looks really awesome.

Here's a rough sketch of what I meant :D

Your sketch literally made me laugh out loud. Haha no idea why.

Maybe because it is a silly drawing of a really stupid thing to do.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Risk me and my tandem student like that and I will punch your fucking lights out.:|

Some of you really don't read.

I said I know it's wrong and not acceptable to do it with a student / first time jumper.

But it's not that bad if you do it with experienced skydivers (as in having a tandem passenger who is an experienced skydiver) while they know the risks...
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

YES.
IT IS.
I don't care HOW much experience you have.
Do NOT go anywhere near the drogue or the drogue bridle. Do NOT get anywhere underneath us.
PERIOD.

I'd like to make it to the end of the day for the cold beer. I'd like to jump again tomorrow as well.

I'm talking about, again... All the people who perform this trick have to be very experienced skydivers (including the passenger) and if they are doing it (in which videos they are) the TI is ok with it, otherwise he wouldn't be performing it...

Most of you are not ok with this and don't wanna do it, and it's perfectly fine, it's your choice.

I'm just talking about people who want and do these kind of things :)

Those that want to and will are idiots.
Maybe that's why the ratings have been pulled for those that have.

Those that would want to are not welcome on any skydive I make, thanks just the same.

The risk in this situation has nothing to do with experience.

Yeah well.

BASE jumping is even riskier and look how many people do it :)
We're all gonna die someday, why not make our lifes somewhat more interesting, you're risking dying while doing any skydive anyway...

Yeah, you do have points.

Well my points are:

Doing this with a passenger (student) who's unaware of the danger and the fact that he has an increased chance of being killed is absolutely wrong and should never be done.

Judging people who are very experienced (including the passenger) and who want to and do these kind of tricks knowing the risks is not very nice. So I think the experienced ones (with an experienced skydiver passenger) who do this show great skill and it looks absolutely awesome and they are enjoying it, then good for them :)

It's as if saying BASE jumpers are god damn assholes and should be banned, because they risk of for example hitting the trollvegen wall doing a 4 way (2 people standing, 2 on their shoulders) backflip exit...

Well, try explaining your perspective to the manufacturers that make the tandem rigs.
They and their legal team are sure to disagree.
Any tandem rated jumper willing to make such a jump does not deserve to keep their rating in my mind. It doesn't show great skill, it shows great lack of concern for safety for all involved.
Comparing any tandem activity to base jumping is ludicrous.

The tandem rig manufacturers can disagree all they want, it's not they who are doing the trick and risking their lives...

A TI who is willing to do this regardless of having a novice student passenger or an experienced one is yeah, not very smart. However, if he refuses to do this with a student, but does it with experienced passenger and people then it's his choice, he knows the risks, he enjoys it, then it's good for him/her...

Well, from what I understood this "trick" has a high chance of backfiring and killing the performers, so why shouldn't I compare it to BASE which has a high chance of killing its participants as well?

It's not very much of comparing skydiving with BASE, it's more of comparing choices, what people choose to do and how they do it, it's their choice, they shouldn't be judged for it if they know what they are getting into and not getting people into this who don't want to :)

"I will not feed the trolls"

I'm not a troll regardless of what you think.

I might be novice and know very little, but I'm just trying to express my point of view in this matter.

I guess it's just a matter of attitude when looking into this tandem trick, some of you hate it, some of you love it no matter how it is performed...

I'm sorry if you think so.

Anyway, we shouldn't be getting into this "troll" discussion, because it's very off topic and what does that troll definition mention again?

Money DOES change everything doesn't it?
More so for a hungry skydiver. :P

You go first, I'll hold your beer.
B|

make it $25k and I'll consider it - realizing of course we would have to make the jump outside of the US and still run the risk of having the USPA pull our ratings.....:|

The manufacture would still need to preapprove it or you risk having all your instructor ratings and potentially USPA/BPA membership revoked also. The TM that was loosening the side straps and standing up beside the student in freefall had lost his AFF rating for a while also when he had a suspended TM rating.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The manufacture would still need to preapprove it or you risk having all your instructor ratings and potentially USPA/BPA membership revoked also. The TM that was loosening the side straps and standing up beside the student in freefall had lost his AFF rating for a while also when he had a suspended TM rating

Is that right? Yes, that guy's actions certainly showed a lack of judgment, didn't they?

Well. a well executed "gag" for a movie would certainly get all the manufacturers' approvals they needed.

So basically, it's a big taboo to do this kind of trick with a first time jumper right?

But it is ok if all of the people involved are experienced jumpers and know the risks right? I mean if they die, they knew the risks, so it should be ok?

I'll spell it out carefully for you.

It's against the manufacturer's regulations, no matter who is on the front. There is high risk of the main or reserve containers being prematurely opened by the person standing on the tandem. If this happens, it's possible that all three may die.

Find a tandem instructor, who will let you do this, and I'll show you someone who doesn't understand the risk, and shouldn't have a rating.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Well, from what I understood this "trick" has a high chance of backfiring and killing the performers, so why shouldn't I compare it to BASE which has a high chance of killing its participants as well?

You don't understand either activity very well do you? How did you get into this sport?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.