Sangi

Trick with tandem

Hello,

I wanted to ask maybe any of you can find a video where there are guys jumping with a tandem and then standing on him and holding on the drogue, can't seem to find it, but I remember seeing it one day on youtube....

Thanks
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

I don't see anything bad about it. As long as the tandem master doesn't deploy while the guy is on him or some malfunction doesn't happen at the canopy doesn't deploy itself - it's fine.

But that's just my thoughts, you know better...

Or how about you explain him ?

My 2 cents is:

-If its 3 experienced skydivers who all have planned this stunt knowing the risks involved, I dont see a reason why anyone else should condemn their actions.

-If its a customer (a tandem student) or someone else who doesnt know the risks involved I would say it is very irrisponsible.

What would happen if through you standing on the tandem, the drogue were to become released?

Try to learn to think of all the possible outcomes of an action before you kill yourself or others performing a trick.

It's one way to survive this sport.:)

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

What would happen if through you standing on the tandem, the drogue were to become released?

Try to learn to think of all the possible outcomes of an action before you kill yourself or others performing a trick.

No, you probably misunderstood me :)

I meant when the drogue is already released. The guy is standing on the tandem, the drogue is released and he is holding to it, it looks really awesome.

Here's a rough sketch of what I meant :D

The drogue is not released then, it is set and inflated. Released would be what happens if the pin gets knocked out or the release handle is accidentally pulled. Multiple instructors have lost their ratings over stupid shit like this, its amazing that there have not been fatalities by now after all the close calls there have been. [:/]

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Slightly off-topic.

There's a tandem videography "tribute" on skydivingmovies. One of the camera flyers goes above the tandem and "twangs" on the drogue bridle.

Is that something that would get you in a lot of trouble?

What is someone unintentionally ended up above a tandem? What typically happens then?

No, you probably misunderstood me :)

I meant when the drogue is already released. The guy is standing on the tandem, the drogue is released and he is holding to it, it looks really awesome.

Here's a rough sketch of what I meant :D

Your sketch literally made me laugh out loud. Haha no idea why.

If I remember right the TI lost his rating over that one.

Why? Is this trick not allowed?

"tricks" can be ,,,,, well, tricky...
Imagination is all well and good, and jumpers often have plenty of imagination... BUT just cause we can envision something,, does NOT make it smart to try, or SAFE...

i'll cut you some slack, cause your experience is only now, starting to grow,,, But the concept of " Burble" and the understanding of IT and of it's ramifications, seem to be lacking on your part...

JUST trying to get over the top of a tandem,,,
will put you in a BAD spot... it would be real easy, to FALL on the pair..(since they are effectively "stealing your air" ) . then you risk, sticking a foot into someones' face, or taking someones Helmet, in YOUR face, or worse,, dislodging your Pilot chute, or THEIR reserve ripcord, or THE worst,,, incapacitating yourself or the TM...
THE area between the TM's back, and the inflated drogue is Waaaay OFF limits.... and while it seems COOL to fly up and grab a bridle.... THAT my friend, is foolish AND dangerous.... especially since the TM,,, CANNOT see you... A crucial aspect of the symphony which occurs between the TM and the video person,, Includes, visual Contact... The TM does NOT wanna be worrying about,, "where the hell did the camera go"???... Sure i often move, during a tandem video,, and after getting a nice view of the students face, and that big smile,,, will get BIG, and "run uphill" to a full frame shot of the drogue,,, but I will always stay well outside of their vertical path, and i won't stay there, for Long, AND I'll still be oriented 'face to face' with the TM.... If it's a TM with whom i've worked before,, he or she will KNOW what i'm doing, and will realize, that i will shorty drop right back down in Front of the Pair,,, well before i sideslide to the ripcord side , to catch the deployment....
IF the Tm and I have Not worked together, I will Always brief the TM,, about my intentions, and about the approx. altitude,,,, at which i would perform, such a move...(AND will forego that shot, if the TM so requests...)
I always stay outside of their "air channel"..

NEVER touch, any part of the drogue or bridle, and only touch the tm or the student,,, IF it's been "dirtdived" ahead of time..

As for UNDER the tandem.... [:/] well I personally wouldn't do it,,, ( Not a huge advocate of back flying, since personally, it doesn't suit my body size and shape),,, PLUS should anything unforseen occur with MY gear... I would then imperil the tandem pair...
The excuse " i was trying to get that Unusual, or Unique angle".... just doesn't justify, the risk involved..
Plus lets remember that at least in the US
the manufacturers of the tandem gear, clearly stipulate what is and what isn't acceptable, and as long as the onus is also on THEM.... and they could be affected by any legal repercussions from an incident,,, respect MUST be given, to THEIR guidelines, and recommendations. It's really just that simple...
PS nice drawingB|;)

jimmy
a 3914
D 12122

Slightly off-topic.

There's a tandem videography "tribute" on skydivingmovies. One of the camera flyers goes above the tandem and "twangs" on the drogue bridle.

Is that something that would get you in a lot of trouble?

What is someone unintentionally ended up above a tandem? What typically happens then?

Here's the discussion about that video: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1869338

Dave

does it matter???... If it WAS 3 'experienced people'???

and EVEN if they DID manage to pull it off...
and document it....it's still a poor idea...

Mostly,, cause it gives OTHERS the idea....
"HEY Let's try THAT...."

sorry,,, don't know where to find the vid...

jt

Yes, It matters very very much.

If its 3 experienced people, they know what they are getting into and I dont see why would it be unethical.. They are only risking them selves..

Gives others the idea ? I think thats quite a weak argument.

People do all kinds of stunts, rodeo birdmans, MR.bill, you name it.. IMO this falls in the same category.

What Im interested in is, did they still loose ratings if there was no student involved..