AirWhore

Cessna 182 Mock Up??

Any body have any plans on how to build one?

I've built 3 or 4 over the years.

Take measurements of your plane and make a sketch. I used pressure treated 2x4s for the verticals which were put in holes dug with a post hole digger.

You don't need anything fancy...no bulkhead or ceiling or door that opens. The floor plan is most important: make it to scale.

You'll need a wing strut and step and wheel. This is important! First time jumpers need to practice getting out and standing on the 'step-wheel'.

If you've never used a handsaw, hammer and such it maybe best to find someone who has. An issue will be protruding nails/screws which can snag gear and skin. DO NOT have any wood with splinters. Use duct tape to cover splintered areas.

As mentioned: Don't forget the beer.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

We have a nice one. It has doors for 182, U206, and porter, all in one. I had no idea it was so versatile until we started operating 206s this year. We started using our otter/caravan mockup at first until someone pointed out that there's a 206 mockup right next to it. Who knew?

I don't have drawings or anything (no idea what year it was built... long before my time). I'll see if I can find a pic...

Dave

I can't find too many good ones... it's in the background of some pics though. Here's a couple where you can pretty much see what it looks like. Porter door on one side, 182 door with the strut and step, and the U206 door behind the 182 door.

Maybe calling it "nice" was an overstatement but it works well anyway... :)
Dave

The nicest one I saw came from a crashed plane. If you pay $500 for the part it's probably still money well spent when you consider the effort to produce an accurate mockup and the length of time a plywood unit will last outside in the weather.

-Michael

I've also built a few over the years. The last one was for Bob Celaya in Cal City. His wife Judy fondly called it "Nick's Errection!"

The only tip I'll give you is if you measure a Cessna on the ground remember the gear on 172s and 182s are sprung. So in the air the gear leg (and step) will be a couple of feet further below the wing than when the aircraft is sitting on the ground . . .

NickD :)