cf_sti

my first rig!

im looking to buyin g my own rig. ive done my homework, but i still cant figure out what would be a good set up for me. im 5'11" and 185 lbs. im a fast and learner and dont want to have to buy a new main chute after 50 or so jumps because i need a smaller chute. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

im a fast and learner and dont want to have to buy a new main chute after 50 or so jumps because i need a smaller chute.

I've recently been mocked as a "keyboard nazi" so take what I have to say as such.... but: :P

1. You never "have" to buy a new canopy
2. You never "need" a smaller chute

That said, if you're a novice at 185 then something like a 190 or 210 is "normal" and easy to sell even after you've racked up 50 jumps on it.
Owned by Remi #?

You probably won't get much response this topic seems to get brought up quit a bit.

I just ordered my rig. I'm 5'11" 175 and got a wings with a 175 fusion. I consider myself a fast learner as well. I figured I can use this for at least a couple hundered jumps before I master that. Then I can downsize to a 150 and use the same container.

Probably depends on how fast you want to downsize. You will find people have different views about how quickly this should be done. I opt to lean toward the safe side so I can enjoy this sport for as long as I can.

Good luck on getting your rig. I can't wait to get mine. :)
edited to add remember this only comes from a lowly half century jumper. ;)

I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

Fill out your profile. The more info you give, the better you get.

That said, keep your wingloading 1:1 or bigger. I go 155 stepping into the shower, and with all my gear, 190. My 190 Triathalon is still fun after 150 jumps on it. I can wingover and pendulum out almost horizontal. I'm just starting carving turn approaches. I've jumped a 170 Sabre2 a few times, and it's fun, but I've still got some more to learn on my Tri before I downsize.

Check out BillVon's downsize checklist in the safety area. If you can get all that done (not just doing it, but being able to do it reasonably well) in 50 or so jumps, I'd be surprised.
Also, selling a 190/210/215 isn't all that hard. There's lots of newer jumpers looking for them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

im looking to buyin g my own rig. ive done my homework, but i still cant figure out what would be a good set up for me. im 5'11" and 185 lbs. im a fast and learner and dont want to have to buy a new main chute after 50 or so jumps because i need a smaller chute. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Just like prison is full of innocent people, skydiving is full of fast learners.

This gets brought up at least once every two weeks. There's a button here called "SEARCH"

The $25 on shipping you spend to get your second smaller parachute in 50-100 jumps (you have the same $1/jump depreciation no matter how many canopies you go through) is a lot better than finding out the hard way that you weren't ready for a smaller parachute now.

Learning about mistakes the hard-way can mean a year of not skydiving while holes close up in your shattered leg bones, a little nerve damage that's still not gone after a year, and the thousands of dollars you loose while you wait for disability insurance to kick in, the thousands that cover the gap between that and your regular wages, and the thousands which are your share of $30-40,000 in medical bills (with insurance).

Really. Even at a pound per square foot or less.

A 210 would be a fine size. Sell it and get a 190 in 75 jumps. Sell that and get a 170 150 jumps later. In another 200 jups sell the whole mess and get your second rig.