DroptheMan04

Tandem in CRW?

I believe it is now a forbidden activity but back before that happened I did a 2-stack with a buddy who had his wife as a passenger. (This was in 1985 I believe...pre-drogue) She was also a skydiver. They docked on me...we figured that if it went to shit they could cutaway.

A tandem getting wrapped would be a very ugly thing.

--->>>Edited to attach a picture of the jump...sorry for the quality...

And to say that one of the photos I took was used as a cover shot for CanPara (CSPA's mag) and it caused quite an uproar....because the tandem pair wasn't wearing head gear...not becasue doing CRW on a tandem might be a bit hazardous B|
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

It is amazing how many foolish things we got away with when we we young men!

Tandem CRW was banned - in the late 1980s - after the first tandem fatality. It seems that a South African TI allowed his buddy to dock on his tandem canopy. His buddy docked "less the gracefully" and got wrapped in the tandem main. The TI cutaway, but never pulled his reserve.
Part of the problem was that he had already disconnected the student side straps, so the student swing forward and upwards as they fell away from the - malfunctioned - main. That rotation broke the TI's neck.

Remember that this accident occurred long before Cypres was invented and long before it was fashionable for senior skydivers to wear AADs.

Rob,

This wasn't a big deal at the time..we had done lots of crw together and we did a beautiful gentle dock.

Thanks for the story of the tandem crw fatality...I was pretty sure there had been one that resulted in the ban but couldn't remember any details at all.

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure we got the idea after seeing a photo of tandem crw in Skydiving Magazine. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Bill Booth was one of the participants. (Bill's done a lot of "interesting" tandem jumps ;))
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

This wasn't a big deal at the time..we had done lots of crw together and we did a beautiful gentle dock.

I am sure the others were not planning to wrap up and die either, but they still did.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I am sure the others were not planning to wrap up and die either, but they still did.

Thanks for the lecture Ron...you're 20 years too late btw..... You can wrap up and die anytime you attempt CRW. Or anytime you skydive for that matter. Not many people who die in this sport plan on it. We both know that.

We very carefully did a beautiful no-momentum dock...unlike the people that died several years later....and it wasn't adrenaline inducing in any way. Late summer evening cruising around in a 2 stack with 2 friends...it was good times. We had well over 100 2 stacks with him pinning me and we weren't going to dock unless it was perfect. We weren't about to overamp..we were very aware of the nastiness that could ensue if we were less than perfect...if we got it, we got it. It wasn't a big deal.

To put my point of view into context...It was nowhere near dangerous compared to a lot of shit we used to do back then...docking sub 1500 feet after RW...breaking off downplanes under 100'...pulling at 1500' on a regular basis, etc, etc. (Or doing crw - including a downplane - on our reserves after a double intentional cutaway...still my favourite jump) When Rob says "The things we got away with"...those were the things we got away with back then, this was mild in comparison.

BSBD!
--
Murray

There was a CRW stack built at DeLand back in the early days of Tandem Certification. This was obviously pre-drogue, and involved some of the first TMs and newly-certified TMs, all of whom were highly experienced. There were many very recognizable names participating. ;)

Kevin

After becoming the first tandem passenger in Oregon, I got my 4 stack award on a tandem jump. This was before they added the drogue. Two tandems did a stack, broke into a side-by-side with an arc of over 180 degrees. We couldn't hold it very long.

There was a CRW stack built at DeLand back in the early days of Tandem Certification. This was obviously pre-drogue, and involved some of the first TMs and newly-certified TMs, all of whom were highly experienced. There were many very recognizable names participating. ;)

Kevin

Man I feel old but I remember the one they called the 2 by 4. Very nice 4 stack, some very well known people.

Is it possibly, anyone done tandem involve CRW? OR can't? Why not?

I did a recurrency jump as an experienced jumped with a TI who did everything he could to "convince" me he was going to dock on the recurrency tandem near us......

He was yanking my chain but after we landed I wasn't sure if changing my skivvies or hugging him should be the priority. I chose the hug. Hoping he'd get wet. :ph34r:
Owned by Remi #?