Rstanley0312

Ankle Sprain

Thought this would be a good spot to put this because it does involve safety. I am curious if anyone has jumped o a sprained ankle? I just rolled mine last night in a soccer game and of course have a tunnel trip planned for next weekend with jumpong as well. It is currently 0 degrees at home so I am heading to Florida. I do not want to be stupid but I also would like to be able to jump. I do not think the tunnel will be an issue but landing a canopy might.

When I was younger I played sports on a sprained ankle a week later (grade 1) but at 34 I do not know if that would be possible.

Any feedback or shared experiences would be great. I do know I should listen to my body but I do not want to think it would be fine and really screw it up..... Thanks!
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Southern_Man

Yes, I have jumped on a sprained ankle. I do not recommend it. I jumped once then called it quits for another 2-3 weeks.

thanks for the advice... I figured I would hear that.. didn't want to but wanted some confirmation.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

My .02 worth.... I'm assume your all growd up and out of diapers, so make a decision. It's not without risk, but as long as your smart about it (land on the opposite foot, slide in your landings, upsize, etc...) I don't really see an increased risk. If you have to typically run out your landings, you might want to think this thru a bit more. Besides, you don't need two working feet to land a parachute safely. ;)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I did Nationals a couple years ago with a sprained ankle. Hurt while climbing into the plane and running, so I sat in back of the plane with plenty of room and landed on my butt a few times (no wind).
Proceeded to hurt my tail bone real bad while sliding in softly it seemed, on smooth grass too. So couldn't sit on my butt in the plane anymore either.
Continued jumping, came in 3rd on Nationals, my ankle healed quickly enough and my tailbone hurt for over a year (!!).

Moral of story: sure, you can jump if it is important enough for you B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

How bad is the sprain?

I did the exact same thing (badly rolled ankle playing soccer) 3 days before a weekend of jumping and I did 13 jumps that weekend without any major problems.

I wore an ace wrap, took a lot of ib profin, slid in my landings if they weren't an easy stand up, and did just fine...

I won't say it wasn't sore as hell after, and there were definite moments of discomfort, but to me it was totally worth it.

skydivecat

How bad is the sprain?

I did the exact same thing (badly rolled ankle playing soccer) 3 days before a weekend of jumping and I did 13 jumps that weekend without any major problems.

I wore an ace wrap, took a lot of ib profin, slid in my landings if they weren't an easy stand up, and did just fine...

I won't say it wasn't sore as hell after, and there were definite moments of discomfort, but to me it was totally worth it.

Well as far as how bad... a small amount of swelling no bruising and full mobility. I can stand stable on it ... just hurts. That makes me think it is a grade 1. The only concern I have is that it popped..... loud.... but if I tore something I doubt it would bein the condition it is now with small swelling and bruising.

Thanks for the input everyone. I will just really ice it a ton and stay off it for the week. I should be good I think. We will see come next weekend.

At that point I will gauge if I am going to be doing 720's or just 360's..... B|:D

Did you have an x-ray done? My wife heard a loud pop while doing AFF. She walked back to the packing area and we even went out to dinner that night. I talked her into going to a walk-in clinic the next morning to have it checked. The doc thought it was just a sprain too but took an x-ray just in case. Later that evening we got the word from the radiologist that she had a lower leg spiral fracture :(.

I sprained my ankle pretty bad a few days before leaving for a state record. I was on crutches putting very little weight on it until the day I left. A physical therapist that also skydives and knew how important this event was for me that I consulted told me to keep doing the ABC's with my foot, and then for jumping to "tape the fuck out of it". I wasn't going to miss a state record because of "little" ankle sprain. I sucked it up for exit, slid in most of my landings and was sure footed walking forward and backwards for dirt diving. I iced and elevated it every night, and babied it when I could. I told myself that if it kept getting worse I would throw in the towel, but it got better over the course of the week, and we got the record!

Tape the fuck out of it, and if it gets worse, well, then you have a decision to make. Good luck!

You're far from the first to be in this situation. You might be far from the first to get away w/it, (or not??)... If you hurt it bad enough. You could do permanent damage by jumping next weekend. You could also hurt something else while protecting that ankle. Search the prior threads right here, about this. Roll the dice as you will...

I'd vote for the sun, friends, & tunnel time as being enough. You can jump again in a few months, when whole. Definitely do the ABCs (& beyond), though. Otherwise, you'll be more prone to repeat injuries in the future.

I hurt/sprained my ankle 2 years ago. It was painful but I could stand on it ok so I went jumping. Ended up With a broken tib, broken fib and 3 large fractures in my ankle. A few operations later and I am still feeling it. I really wish I had taken the time to heal.

How timely. I sprained my ankle on a slackline last weekend, but decided to still jump this weekend.

Saturday was fine with brisk wind. Sunday I was coming in to land, saw it was going to be a very fast landing and immediately switched attention from flying the landing to worrying about my ankle and not wanting to run it outB| I ended up biffing my landing and now have gravel rash down my right side[:/]

After the carnage, I contemplated switching to a 190 rental rig which I wish I had done at the start.

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

www.asoankle.com if you are going to do it anyways. You don't need anything fancy. The intro brace with the high ankle wrap, lace up and figure 8 straps is excellent. I still use it for Zone Acc from spraining my L ankle 4 years ago.

/no financial interests, just a damn good brace.

It appears they just have the one brace now, or my computer isn't loading the full website. Either way, it's $39.99 or something like that.

xitxit

Did you have an x-ray done? My wife heard a loud pop while doing AFF. She walked back to the packing area and we even went out to dinner that night. I talked her into going to a walk-in clinic the next morning to have it checked. The doc thought it was just a sprain too but took an x-ray just in case. Later that evening we got the word from the radiologist that she had a lower leg spiral fracture :(.

got an x-ray... avulsion fracture. Freaked me out bc I thought great... gonna be in a cast now bc doc wanted to put me in one.... I said no for now so I could drive to the Ortho. Drove to the Ortho thinking the worst and that doc said.... looks good and it is not a big deal. Swelling will go down and the tunnel is fine. Also added by weeks end if it improves and I wear a good brace I should be good to jump barring a bad landing. I think I will just hit the tunnel but if it feels good I may do 1 or 2 jumps. I went from pissed to celebration! B|

wildcard451

www.asoankle.com if you are going to do it anyways. You don't need anything fancy. The intro brace with the high ankle wrap, lace up and figure 8 straps is excellent. I still use it for Zone Acc from spraining my L ankle 4 years ago.

/no financial interests, just a damn good brace.

It appears they just have the one brace now, or my computer isn't loading the full website. Either way, it's $39.99 or something like that.

That brace is the real deal!

Rstanley0312

Any feedback or shared experiences would be great. I do know I should listen to my body but I do not want to think it would be fine and really screw it up..... Thanks!

Not that I would recommend this, but I did 105 jumps in the six weeks after rolling my ankle running. Hey, Nationals was coming up. Couldn't really stand on my left leg, but fortunately, outside centre launches off the right. Tracking was a fucker too; I couldn't point the toe for extended periods.

A lot of "sprains" are avulsion fractures and what we know is they do just fine if you dont beat up on it.

If your landings are soft, could you jump? Sure. Would I, personally? No. If you beat up the fracture piece too much it can lead to chronic arthritis.

You'll also favour your other side subconsciously which will also impact your landings and the OTHER ankle's long term.

I would say if you can jump off a box or something wihtout ANY pain... you can feel comfortable jumping. I'm no orthopaedist, and the advice is free... :)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

A small crack in the bone can be an avulsion fracture right?

I got a small hairline crack on my right toe when I kicked it against something hard by mistake, I always thought of that as a 'hairline fracture' but the definition seems to be kinda out because it was a 1 time impact

DrDom

A lot of "sprains" are avulsion fractures and what we know is they do just fine if you dont beat up on it.

If your landings are soft, could you jump? Sure. Would I, personally? No. If you beat up the fracture piece too much it can lead to chronic arthritis.

You'll also favour your other side subconsciously which will also impact your landings and the OTHER ankle's long term.

I would say if you can jump off a box or something wihtout ANY pain... you can feel comfortable jumping. I'm no orthopaedist, and the advice is free... :)

I didn't jump bc of weather but it was diagnosed as an avulsion fracture so you were dead on. It is not too bad but still really stiff. I am just resting it until spring. That amount of time should really help.

ianyapxw

A small crack in the bone can be an avulsion fracture right?

I got a small hairline crack on my right toe when I kicked it against something hard by mistake, I always thought of that as a 'hairline fracture' but the definition seems to be kinda out because it was a 1 time impact

an "avulsion fracture" just means that the tendon that inserts on the bone "rips off" the piece of bone. Its very common in these kinds of injuries and does very well typically. Just takes slightly longer than a regular sprain/strain since the bone needs to heal.

Rstanley0312

***A lot of "sprains" are avulsion fractures and what we know is they do just fine if you dont beat up on it.

I didn't jump bc of weather but it was diagnosed as an avulsion fracture so you were dead on. It is not too bad but still really stiff. I am just resting it until spring. That amount of time should really help.

my wife likes to remind me that "even a broken clock is correct twice a day".
Spring should be enough time if youre otherwise healthy.

DrDom

******A lot of "sprains" are avulsion fractures and what we know is they do just fine if you dont beat up on it.

my wife likes to remind me that "even a broken clock is correct twice a day".
Spring should be enough time if youre otherwise healthy.

B|:)