I3uller

Tennis balls

um yea sort of. Those tennis balls that you see being used are filled with lead and the streamers are used to fine tune the fall rate. If they are not caught and carried down they could possibly hit someone or some thing and do significant damage.

And there lots of fun.B|

How fast do you think a tennis ball will fall?:S

What you saw was a tennis ball 3/4 filled with lead or steel shot. You need a special license to fly safely with one.

Yea I figured they were filled with something to get them going faster but that's pretty interesting/smart that you need a special license. Why is all the really fun stuff the most dangerous? :D

risk/reward theory?

Well usually its easy. Is it fun? Yea. Can I get hurt doing it? Probably. Am I ok with the danger? Of course. That's about it. But something like a lead tennis ball coming down would risk other people and there's no question on that. One thing if it risks my own dumbass but another if it risks other people haha.

A Red Dot brand cue ball falls the right speed for most people on their belly.

When done right with someone that has experience it is alot of fun to play catch.

I want to stess having someone who has done it before and permission from the DZO and the pilot.

The spot should be over a unpopulated area.

Really what license is that?

What you probably need is your DZO's approval to jump it at the DZ

In the U.K I understand that your are only allowed to drop water or dry sand (as ballast) when flying - would this be the same in US Air Law?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Is this what you're thinking of?

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=6943

Check out some of the fun pics attached.

Spaceball flight is a very intense type of coaching that has a lot of skill return and is a lot of fun in the process.

Designing a ball is very touchy and sensitive, a few small grams of weight difference and/or a little bit of drag difference can lead to easy changes of 20mph int the fall speed. Improper handling/control of a spaceball can cause a lot of damage if not hurt/kill someone. Because of this, spaceball design is usually kept a very tight secret amongst qualified people.

Contact me if you have any further questions ;)

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Here is the US rule about dropping objects from aircraft:

FAR 91.15 Dropping objects

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

And it's a lot easier to get approval with the Atomospheric Dolphin license.:|

The AD system pretty much died about 5-6 years ago. If you really want one bad I'm sure you could fly out to Europe, contact the individual, and for a few hundred dollars be "tested" for an AD license, and maybe actually get it. Do a search on the whole topic and dust off some old threads from a few years ago. Big fallout and problems ensued. [:/] The AD system is dead.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

And it's a lot easier to get approval with the Atomospheric Dolphin license.:|

Not at our DZ..you'll merely get a shake of a head and a chuckle from the DZO and DZM.
Tennis balls (or anything but a Vladiball) are not permitted.
I thought the AD system was over? There is a recent thread in Gear/Rigging on the subject.

Is this what you're thinking of?

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=6943

Check out some of the fun pics attached.

Spaceball flight is a very intense type of coaching that has a lot of skill return and is a lot of fun in the process.

Designing a ball is very touchy and sensitive, a few small grams of weight difference and/or a little bit of drag difference can lead to easy changes of 20mph int the fall speed. Improper handling/control of a spaceball can cause a lot of damage if not hurt/kill someone. Because of this, spaceball design is usually kept a very tight secret amongst qualified people.

Contact me if you have any further questions ;)

:D Those pictures are hilarious. All these people so intently focused on a tennis ball flying towards the earth haha. And for some reason all I can think about in this thread is that guy dropping the coke bottle from the little Cessna in "The gods must be mad".