Tuna-Salad

My first 2 jumps with a camera.

That's not as bad as some home made contraptions. Getting the alignment right every time would be a pain. I'll see if I can draw up some pics of something better in case you still want to use that camera when you're really ready. I don't think the cheap camera is a bad way to go to start with. I bought a brand new HC30 when I started. I fell on it (getting in a truck) and the wide angle lens broke the front of the camera off. It still worked, until a riser strike took out the lanc port.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I pretty much took a marker and drew a line where I thought the camera should be mounted after wearing it around in the back yard and looking ahead etc. Turns out it was looking more down than ahead.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

I'm not serious.... Pretty sure most people know that anyway..

At the request of several people I am going to post a pic of the camera I used.. let's keep the laughter to a minimum please

Is that the 'hook' part of Velcro on your helmet? It looks like a 6"x2" strip.

If so, zip up that asbestos and pray to Nomex (the god of fire resistance).
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Yes it is.. Industrial strength...
I probably could of gone without the tape seeing as how there isn't much airflow around where it is.
I wish it was mounted a little higher so you guys could of seen the massive de-arch on exit. The count was something of ready set go (pause) then launch.

That's one of the things you have to get used to. I had a tandem master that would pull that crap on me all the time. READY, SET, reposition himself in the door, GO... bastard. I watch for his left shoulder to come forward now. Then there was the time they had someone inside the Otter give the count. They didn't really think that one out much (two front floaters, one in the door, two rear floaters, plus me sharing my camera step with the rear-rear floater.
Well anyway I like your little camera, but I would definitely listen to DSE about what to do.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Trust me when I say I plan to listen to all of the advice given here. I find it funny most were pretty harsh to begin with now I'm seeing encouragement to get better. (doesn't mean I will be jumping with the cam again anytime soon though)

I cannot really blame the guys I jumped with as the one giving the count does not get to jump very often.
Poor judgement on my part though... If I were to try this again I would go with experienced jumpers with way more air time than me. I really hate to think that I unknowingly put someone else at risk, but it is a fact. I did read my SIM before taking this on and was aware of the distraction factor and that I would need to be able to get rid of the contraption if the situation called for it. On both jumps I started recording at around 7 or 8k so I would not be distracted and fooling around with it when more important things were at hand.

[Re hook velcro on the helmet]: Yes it is.. Industrial strength...

I think what he means is - take the hook velcro and put it on the camera; put the pile velcro side on the helmet. Hook velcro has a nasty habit of doing a lot of damage to suspension and brake lines. I wouldn't want it on my head near where I keep things like brake and suspension lines.

It could also (theoretically) catch the mesh of your pilot chute on deployment, especially with a lazy throw and cause anything from a hesitation to a full blown horseshoe mal. If the brake lines are worn and furry it could also grab one of those on deployment and cause a brake-fire leading to a spinning canopy or mal.

I suspect this is all rather something of a long shot, but for the sake of switching the two bits round why take the risk?

I do however look foreward to meeting DSE and learning all he can throw my way. I don't mind drinking from a fire hose.. if you get my meaning. :)

You dont have to wait to meet him. You can buy his DVD. Go to www.vasst.com and look for his camera flying dvd with norman kent.
My photos

My Videos

Thanks for the pic. See, they aren't trashing you...

Questions...
What is the camera(make, model) and where did you get it? How much $$?

Can you guys imagine what a quality camera is going to look like in 5 years??? These things are getting tiny.

How long before a manufacturer comes out with a helmet cam setup that is clean, simple, idiot proof, cheap, etc. So, the newbs can put one on without having to accumulate 1000 jumps?? I'm just saying...?? Look what Tuna-Salad has learned from having one on. It could be a great training tool for 1st jump students?? Hey, this is innovative stuff. Is someone taking notes??
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Whatever happened to ringsights? Why don't people jump ringsights anymore?

When talking about 'aligning' the camera....without a sight....what are we aligning it to?
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

Thanks for the pic. See, they aren't trashing you...

Questions...
What is the camera(make, model) and where did you get it? How much $$?

Can you guys imagine what a quality camera is going to look like in 5 years??? These things are getting tiny.

How long before a manufacturer comes out with a helmet cam setup that is clean, simple, idiot proof, cheap, etc. So, the newbs can put one on without having to accumulate 1000 jumps?? I'm just saying...?? Look what Tuna-Salad has learned from having one on. It could be a great training tool for 1st jump students?? Hey, this is innovative stuff. Is someone taking notes??

I had an exchange with billvon about this a while back, and I don't think he would mind me posting his thoughts at that time: "I do not think that POV video is much use to a jumper reviewing a jump. He only sees his own POV (which he has already seen) he does not see what his arms/legs are doing and he does not see his motion relative to any stable reference (like a good cameraman.)"

I agree with this assessment.

Having said that, the reason for my initial inquiry with billvon about the usefulness of this same camera was that in practicing things like glide-angle tuning (aka. flying in partial brakes or risers), I had no real information for what settings actually helped me to cover more ground or helped to minimize sink. I could see that I was going to make the field on a long spot, but couldn't compare my technique that day with any other. You see, this camera has a nice feature that you may not have realized. It does record audio. Although I didn't use the camera beyond my initial assessment, my plan was to try different configurations and measure the descent rates (calling out the altitude). This could be done with any audio recorder, by the way.

It has one other nice feature. It will fit in the external audible slots of my helmet. The only other mounting that is as minimal would be to incorporate it into a "windowed" pocket of a jumpsuit. The pocket would be accessible only from inside the jumpsuit and would have a clear plastic (poly) window to the outside. The poly only needs to be about 1"x1".

I did my own experiments with the usefulness of the camera, and would rate it as "somewhat useful". The role that this camera would best fill is that of a "black box" recorder. Switch it on and forget about it. It could provide "some" information to fill in the gaps in the event of an incident. Is that a good enough reason to push it past the USPA minimum-jump recommendations? Not really. The mere presence of the camera "could" be enough to cause a young jumper to shift focus away, even slightly, from their primary responsibilities.

- David

PS - We are only a few years away from what I'll call "postage stamp cameras". Stick-em and forget-em. Put an array of them around a helmet and you've got your virtual viewpoint.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

That is a good idea about switching.. Never thought of the issues about the placement. I'm not going to put ring sights on anything anytime soon even after I start jumping a camera for a bit. Based on what I have seen with the rod sticking out that is just asking to get caught on something. I'm def not ready to start adding bulky cameras and other peripherals onto my equipment, which is why I got a tiny cam.