Feeblemind

Is our sport dying? What would make you goto the DZ more often??

So how IS that skateboard anyway?

If it's so damn uncool to you, why do you insist on wasting your time here trying to piss us off?

The less of your type around, the better it gets everyday.

I would like to be the first to say thank you!

Have a nice life.:)

I think the biggest problem is simple... Skydiving just isn't very cool anymore. It doesn't have that same rebel stigma it once had. The sport has fallen into conformity like so many other trendy past times. The "extreme sport” genre is gone just like Tony Hawk making skateboarding so accessible that every fat kid on the block has a half pipe in his driveway.

I don't see that as a problem. I'm glad skydiving isn't cool. People who want "cool" can go skateboard, or weave baskets under water, or whatever.

If I had to rate how important the coolness factor of skydiving was to me, on a scale of 1 to 10, it would be -33.

I like the various dropzones I've jumped at. They have airplanes, and other people who like to parachute from them. That's about all I care about. Foul language, skygods, unsupervised kids, that all adds color to the dropzone like a bit of pomegranate juice to a nice tall pitcher of lemonade.

I don't think the sport is dying. Sure, there might be less people jumping this year than last year. It doesn't trouble me. As long as there are planes, pilots, and parachutes, the sport will live. Obviously the rising costs will drive some people out of the sport, but as long as we still know how to make nylon, there will always be skydiving.

I would jump more if I had more time. I even converted my girlfriend to a skydiver. If I could get away with working less, then I could jump more than the day or two a week that I do.

So how IS that skateboard anyway?

If it's so damn uncool to you, why do you insist on wasting your time here trying to piss us off?

The less of your type around, the better it gets everyday.

I would like to be the first to say thank you!

Have a nice life.:)

Oh me secound see ya wonder boy(simpleJack)!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D This would be a better sport without cry babys!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I think the biggest problem is simple... Skydiving just isn't very cool anymore. It doesn't have that same rebel stigma it once had. The sport has fallen into conformity like so many other trendy past times. The "extreme sport” genre is gone just like Tony Hawk making skateboarding so accessible that every fat kid on the block has a half pipe in his driveway.

You are lying about your lic. number so you are probably lying about the rest of your dribble. Scott take you shit and get a life.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Scott take you shit and get a life.

I see I'm not the only one who thought this trolling had a familiar tone.

Put away the troll food, people.

As to Phil's original question... I suspect you're seeing the combined effect of the economy and the change in seasons. Me, I've mostly been too busy/ tired since I moved to get out to the DZs as much as I would like, but things are settling down so I should be out more.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I think the biggest problem is simple... Skydiving just isn't very cool anymore.

Skydiving is too dangerous to do, just to be cool.
It is easier to buy a pair of baggie pants and a skateboard to be a poser elsewhere.

It doesn't have that same rebel stigma it once had.

Rebellion? I don't know anyone who skydives because it upsets their mom.

Personally I think the economy has taken a big toll in the short term. Getting to the DZ is usually a day committment for many of us and regularly find limited activity during the week, not to mention wind and weather delays. However, I am still trying to speculate the impact that tunnels have played on the sport. It may be to soon to tell but there are several things to consider.

1) More experienced jumpers are using tunnel time to polish and perfect their skills. This is time that used to be spent in the air to get the training.
2) The tunnels have offered a safer choice for some people who just want to try flying rather than skydive. I have met many people who are actually in frefly leaques thru the tunnel organization that have no intention of ever jumping out of an airplane.
3) There is a whole new generation of younsters out there, including my two tunnel rats (10 and 7) who will probably one day join the ranks of skydivers when they come of age. I don't know what these stats look like but I would assume they will start showing up at some point.

Just some thoughts. See my thread under introductions, "where have I been".

As for our good buddy Jack I think its obvious he has nothing better to do, except maybe watch Britney Spears videos and do what he posted earlier.
Chris

Bingo.. Ding Ding Ding Ding.. we have a winner!!!

So let me see if I got this right.. you started skydiving because you thought it made you "cool"?
Then once you figured out you were just another jumper like anyone else the "cool" factor went away.
Was this before or after you realized that the whole "I'm cool because I'm a skydiver" thing doesn't work to pick up women?

Somebody had to say it...
Do I get a prize or something now?
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Bingo.. Ding Ding Ding Ding.. we have a winner!!!

So let me see if I got this right.. you started skydiving because you thought it made you "cool"?
Then once you figured out you were just another jumper like anyone else the "cool" factor went away.
Was this before or after you realized that the whole "I'm cool because I'm a skydiver" thing doesn't work to pick up women?

Somebody had to say it...
Do I get a prize or something now?

I don't see how the 2000+ dollar A license fees make skydiving as accessible as skateboarding. Getting into the sport costs an enormous amount and keeps it pretty limited to people that really want to do it...The cool thing ya sure...but if you don't think skydiving is cool then why do it haha B|

What would make me go to the DZ more often, or what would make me skydive more often?

Is this a marketing question? Why should I be expected to go to a DZ more often? Who wants me to? Will going to a DZ more often stop the sport from dying, if it is? Do I have to jump when I'm there? Would I want to go there if I weren't jumping? Is "going to the DZ" the same as participating in the sport?

Is the question related to how to get me to spend more money at the DZ? What are my opportunities for spending money at a DZ besides jumping? There's a start. Sell me something else while I'm there. Sling some burgers. Make a space a dog park. Make it a family destination. I don't know. Why would I want to go there? The world is full of people who have made millions answering that question.

Is skydiving dying? Who says so? The USPA roster seems stable enough.

What made anyone ever go to the DZ? I'd also start there: "Why did you ever go to a DZ?"

If I'm not actually going to jump out of a plane, why would I drive 1.5 hours to someplace? Why would I keep doing it? Why would I do it "more often?" Why would I do it in lousy weather? Why would I do it if I knew I wouldn't be jumping?

I would jump more if the DZ wasn’t a flight away now!

Before leaving the states I had slowed down considerably in my jumping. There has been a constant turnover of up-jumpers at my home DZ, and I think it was just my time to go. That with some recent occurrences made it a hard place to be as it lost its home feeling.

Just the circle of life; will find another home one day! :)

Thank you Richard, that is a really good set of questions. It helps people think about what questions they really want answered. And it's a different question for each person.

The DZO might ask, "How can I get more student skydivers to the DZ."

The instructor might ask, "How can we get more first time jumpers to skydive again?"

The experienced jumper might ask, "How can we get our freshly licensed skydivers to jump more and get good so we can do better skydives with them?"

" keeps it limited to people who really want to do it " what in the sam fuck does this mean ? would you want to skydive with people that "don't " really want to do it ? if you can't afford it then you really don't want to do it, right. I have always wanted to get a few hours in a Lear Jet, but it costs so much that its not worth it to me, therefore I really don't want to do it so i don't. And i'm sure the ATC system is better off without me wasting their time with it,,,
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Wow chill...I'm just saying that if you are really dedicated to it and really want to do it you can make it happen. Whether it takes years to do it or not. Sure getting my rotary license is going to cost a ton and I can't afford much of it right now but I'm still going to save up and work at it and get it done because I love it that much. If I wasn't very dedicated to it the cost would turn me away because its not worth it to me....but I love it enough to sacrifice a lot of other things to save for flying. If you really wanted to get your time in a Lear, you would make it happen but its not important enough to you to for the cost. I mean if getting a skydiving license was 20 bucks there would be tons of people doing it that just are not passionate about it. If you are willing to work your ass off for the 2000+ dollars it costs to get your A license then its pretty obvious that you are passionate about jumping...and personally if someone doesn't love jumping I wouldn't want to jump with them.

more free beer, more orgies, more free jumps.. :P

tell me when you find that. I totally approve your plan

havent been to bero recently, have ya'!? its the new soddom and gomorrha! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

The experienced jumper might ask, "How can we get our freshly licensed skydivers to jump more and get good so we can do better skydives with them?"

Or, The freshly licensed jumpers might ask, "How can we get more JUMPERS to jump more so we can actually get a load up instead of sitting next to a parked plane on a cold sunny day":S
If your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Your mom goes HandHeld

His D license .Is lower than my A-license issued
in 1982 A-7590.Hey skydiving is what it is .Expensive.It will never be cheap.You either dedicate your life to it or not.Thats your choice.No need too Trash it.Yeah There are ego's.But there legends in there own mind.No one elses.I just do it
for fun.It is not as fun as it used to be.But what else
is there in life that gives you a peace of mind like
Skydiving?