markovwgti

When can you consider yourself a Professional Skydiver?

When more than 50% of your income is from skydiving.

I have seen lots of people who make their entire income skydiving who I would hardly consider "professional".

I offer this alternative definition.

Professional Skydiver: Someone who participates in the sport of skydiving as an instructor, competitor, or mentor in the long term. Someone whos participation is because of their love of the sport. Someone who perpetuates a positive image of the sport through their actions and example.

As the Topic says. When can you consider yourself a professional skydiver. This is going to be fun! haha

When you are broke, homeless, and have no other means of support beyond skydiving you are called staff. The guy that is broke, homeless, has no other means of support beyond skydiving and is stressed out as hell is called DZO.:o
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

...When you start saying how you "deserve" to do that tandem or video jump, more than does one of the part time staff members, as you are trying to survive on skydiving alone.

... Or when you don't want to let others aboard the tandem or video staff, instead of encouraging other jumpers to contribute to the DZ (and learn skills and make money for their own fun jumps), because you are a full time skydiver! You don't wish to dilute your income by allowing part timers with real jobs to ruin things by making money off jumping too. To which the part timers start wondering just who is ruining things.

At least, all that is associated with a few who start considering themselves professional skydivers.

(You said this would be fun, markovwgti. )

[I realize a DZ may need to make promises about who gets priority in order to attract someone full time. But depending on personalities and DZ practices there can be friction between the part timers and the full timers. I've been on both sides of this argument.]

...When you start saying how you "deserve" to do that tandem or video jump, more than does one of the part time staff members, as you are trying to survive on skydiving alone.

... Or when you don't want to let others aboard the tandem or video staff, instead of encouraging other jumpers to contribute to the DZ (and learn skills and make money for their own fun jumps), because you are a full time skydiver! You don't wish to dilute your income by allowing part timers with real jobs to ruin things by making money off jumping too. To which the part timers start wondering just who is ruining things.

At least, all that is associated with a few who start considering themselves professional skydivers.

(You said this would be fun, markovwgti. )

[I realize a DZ may need to make promises about who gets priority in order to attract someone full time. But depending on personalities and DZ practices there can be friction between the part timers and the full timers. I've been on both sides of this argument.]

No truer words have ever been spoken. What you just described is the reason I quit shooting video. All the pencil dicked "fulltimers".

Yes,
I have been on both sides of that argument.

Though when I was only part-time, I tried to be respectful of longer-timers in hopes of being invited to play with them full time.

In the long run, "professionalism" is an attitude. I have worked with many "professionals" who only taught one or two days out of the week. They showed up on time, clean, conservatively dressed, treated their students with respect, followed school policy, CSPA policy, USPA policy, led by example, had to genuine desire to share knowledge, avoided sexual advances until students graduated, stayed sober until sunset, etc.

On the other hand, I have worked with a variety of full-time "bungling amateurs" who arrived late, slovenly, smelly, hung-over, hit on students, offered to share recreational drugs with students (in the middle of the day), landed down-wind in the bowl, etc.

I think most people are confusing being a “professional skydiver” with “professionalism”. The two do not always go hand in hand. Plus you can be a professional skydiver and not work at a drop zone. A “professional skydiver” is one who makes money jumping. It could be part of or all of his/her income but they file that income on their tax form. They receive a W-2 or a 1099 from the people who hired them and they can write off their expenses. As Rob said some do this with “professionalism” and some are an embarrassment to the industry. For those that know him, Jim Wallace is an excellent example of a “professional skydiver” who exudes “professionalism” in everything he does.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals