Tuna-Salad

Should basic first aid be a requirement for the A

Myself and another instructor at Z-Hills had a discussion a few months ago about this and thought I would ask if others agreed. Should basic life saving / first aid skills be manditory as part of the A license? His reasoning was that if you land off or get injured you should be able to take care of yourself until help arrives.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Myself and another instructor at Z-Hills had a discussion a few months ago about this and thought I would ask if others agreed. Should basic life saving / first aid skills be manditory as part of the A license? His reasoning was that if you land off or get injured you should be able to take care of yourself until help arrives.

"now check your pulse. tilt your head back listen and feel for breathing. If none is heard start mouth to mouth and chest compressions. If that doesn't work grab the difib and go to work on yourself" :P;)

I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

I don't feel that would be necessary. As a student, you are taught how to skydive and to skydive safely to avoid such a situation. What you do outside of that, should be up to the jumper.

Its not a bad thing to know, but i don't think should be required, and if anything, i would imagine you would need it for someone else. not sure what exactly you can do to yourself if your passed out and injured.
Hi, my names Jon, and I love to skydive.

I should of elaborated I guess....

The skills were how to control bleeding if you landed off and hit and something or somehow were injured, stuff like that.... Not that you would need to hunt animals and make a fire using only the lense of you helmet if needed to survive.Maybe to help another jumper if nearby.

Being a student or highly experienced jumper does not excuse the possibility of being injured.

i dont think it would be good to have a bunch of "A-licensed" medics running around, anytime some real injury occured the possibility of one of them running to help and getting in the way is much higher than if you had a few people who are actually trained in trauma injuries. now, informing them that it would be wise to learn basic first response for there own protection would be ok, but i dont think it should be trained at the DZ or required by the DZ. IMO Bad idea.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

i dont think it would be good to have a bunch of "A-licensed" medics running around, anytime some real injury occured the possibility of one of them running to help and getting in the way is much higher than if you had a few people who are actually trained in trauma injuries. now, informing them that it would be wise to learn basic first response for there own protection would be ok, but i dont think it should be trained at the DZ or required by the DZ. IMO Bad idea.

Of course, much better to have people running around with no idea whatsoever what to do. IMO, everyone should do a first aid course, but of course I live in a country where you don't get sued for helping people.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Of course, much better to have people running around with no idea whatsoever what to do. IMO, everyone should do a first aid course, but of course I live in a country where you don't get sued for helping people.

i respectfully disagree, those people running around trying to "help" do nothing but get in the way of the guys who do this for a living, or who have had some thorough training in the area. i would rather them on the side-lines than in the "action" trying not to puke on the patient b/c they have never seen a bone stick out the side of the epidermis.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

It's a good idea to offer] the course to students/licenced jumpers.

But an actual licence requirement?
It doesn't feel right that people should fail their A-licence because they cannot grasp how to use a bandaid.
Besides, if people aren't really *interested* in the subject, obliging them to take the course will have no real effect; they'll forget everything as soon as they've passed their test.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

No pun intended, but if I were in US and came across wounded individual (skydiver on car crash or whatever) I'd probably not touch him/her due to lawsuit-happy attitude thats going on there.
Second thing about giving first aid is that if you do it incorrectly you're likely to cause more injuries than by just leaving it alone.

So the choice is hurting some one even more and being sued for it, or feeling bad about not being certifier medical personnel and not helping some poor soul.

I'd just try to comfort the guy and call some willing/trained to interfere with wounds and injuries.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

No pun intended, but if I were in US and came across wounded individual (skydiver on car crash or whatever) I'd probably not touch him/her due to lawsuit-happy attitude thats going on there.
Second thing about giving first aid is that if you do it incorrectly you're likely to cause more injuries than by just leaving it alone.

So the choice is hurting some one even more and being sued for it, or feeling bad about not being certifier medical personnel and not helping some poor soul.

I'd just try to comfort the guy and call some willing/trained to interfere with wounds and injuries.

I'm not sure about other states, but in California, there's a law that keeps people from suing you for giving emergency first aid treatment, even if you screw it up, unless it was malicious.

I voted no. A-license is about skydiving.
I think everyone should go through 1st aid/CPR. The Red Cross has a good course. I've taken it a bunch of times (CPR cert has expiration date). One of the things that is taught is to not do anything you aren't trained for and to stay out of the way of those who are.
Good Samaritan laws are covered also.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

He said "should". So even he doesn't think it should be a requirement. ;)

edited to add: We don't need no more steenkin' requirements!

When I got my horse's license (don't know if you have an equivalent, it's so you can rent a horse and people will know you know what you're doind and you need it to compete outside of small local meets) I had to do basic first aid, both for rider and for horse. I thought it was a good idea. It was very basic indeed but atleast you get people who stress out less when something happens, and who have a better idea how to behave themselves when more knowledgeable people get to the scene (ie, help if needed and not get in the way) and stuff. Mostly it's about recognizing symptoms and staying safe and how to best inform the medics and stuff. If you keep it to that, no one is going to sue you and yet you can make a difference :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

While I don't think it should be a requirement for a license rating; I'd be curious if others thought it "might" be a good idea to have for the S&TA Rating?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Basic first aid taken once is grossly inadequate for the situations we're talking about. You would want the wilderness first responder level training.

everyone in outdoor sports should get such training, but there's limited gain to mandating it, esp at the A level.

Taking a CPR class once does really no good. By the time you need to actually apply what you learned, it is most likely that you wont be able to remember exactly what to do, this is why it's best to maybe have a cell phone on you and call 911 and get assistance from them.

Learning such skills are sorta like skydiving, after a certain period of time you need a refresher course.

Taking a CPR class once does really no good. By the time you need to actually apply what you learned, it is most likely that you wont be able to remember exactly what to do, this is why it's best to maybe have a cell phone on you and call 911 and get assistance from them.

Learning such skills are sorta like skydiving, after a certain period of time you need a refresher course.

Or since CPR changes every year.. nevermind the fact that Red Cross and Heart Association teach it differently.

As some people were saying above.. if you are trained to render medical aid (Firefighter, EMT, paramedic, first responder, doctor) to someone and pass them by you are breaking the law and can do jail time if caught. Obviously this does not apply if fd or ems is already on the scene. I think in order to be sued by someone they would have to prove gross negligence or intent to harm on the untrained person who helped. I'm not a lawyer though.

Sadly the first thing you learn going through EMT classes are all the legal stuff and how to cover your own ass.

Or since CPR changes every year.. nevermind the fact that Red Cross and Heart Association teach it differently.

As some people were saying above.. if you are trained to render medical aid (Firefighter, EMT, paramedic, first responder, doctor) to someone and pass them by you are breaking the law and can do jail time if caught. Obviously this does not apply if fd or ems is already on the scene. I think in order to be sued by someone they would have to prove gross negligence or intent to harm on the untrained person who helped. I'm not a lawyer though.

Sadly the first thing you learn going through EMT classes are all the legal stuff and how to cover your own ass.

I meant first aid. And yes even cpr. I took a cpr class back in high school, and I only remember a fraction of what i learned. The basics everyone knows without h

And i thought you were talking about helping yourself, not to help someone else.

I haven't read the whole thread so not sure what direction it has taken.