cjsitfly

Perris Valley Tandem Bag Lock?

Was anyone out at Perris Valley yesterday (Sunday 12-14)? Holy cow was it cold at altitude (11 below with 55 mph uppers). Anyway, I believe someone threw a reserve on a tandem jump around noonish. In speaking with an experienced jumper he said he saw a P/C in tow. Just curious if anyone saw it or could confirm. Everyone was safe but there was lots of actiivity around the landing area when they got down.

Thanks
Chris

he saw a P/C in tow.

Its called droge and typically happens with tandems in freefall:D:D.

On a serious note, good to hear everyone was okay!

My bad, I am aware it was a droge and it is usually in tow. When the TI went to deploy it didn't happen. The gentleman that I spoke to said it might be possible that the bridle (I am not up on the tanden terms) might have been routed wrong which led to the non-deployment. Are you saying that it is typical that this type of malfunction happens, or simply that all or most tandems have a drogue behind them. I heard another TI say to this TI on a later jump, "Ihear you had a pretty wild ride earlier" (of course it was aid quetly and away from students.
Chris

Its called droge and typically happens with tandems in freefall:D:D.

On a serious note, good to hear everyone was okay!

As my friend put it:

"Tandems: 200 lbs of stupid on the front of you, a pilot-chute-in-tow, five handles... what could possibly go wrong?"
Not again!

Was anyone out at Perris Valley yesterday (Sunday 12-14)? Holy cow was it cold at altitude (11 below with 55 mph uppers). Anyway, I believe someone threw a reserve on a tandem jump around noonish. In speaking with an experienced jumper he said he saw a P/C in tow. Just curious if anyone saw it or could confirm. Everyone was safe but there was lots of actiivity around the landing area when they got down.

Thanks

you call that cold? pffft u wanna see cold come on up here to Wisconsin and jump with us this winter. B|

you call that cold? pffft u wanna see cold come on up here to Wisconsin and jump with us this winter. B|

I have never stopped jumping on any given day until the sun went down...........until yesterday. I love Wisconsin and went to school in Chicaco, however, I moved to California for a reason. That being said, if I lived in WI I would do whatever to keep jumping year round. give me some boot warmers and a heated face mask and I am there.
Chris

drogue wouldn't release/container lock. TI tried both orange and blue. Drogue released and container opened fine on ground. TI said full gear check was done prior to jump. We'll never know exactly what caused this in freefall. Video had backed away for opening shot and is too far away to see anything. I have over 1000 jumps on perris tandem gear, never had this problem. He landed the reserve safely.

i heard a slightly modified version.....

" You strap 50 pounds of Gear on the back of you... 200 pounds of stupid on the front of you, induce a pilot chute in tow, 5 handles...2 EXTRA hands that don't know what they are doing!!!!....what could possibly go wrong???"

jmy

And after everyone lives through it, I often thank my student for not killing me. Most find this statement as ironic, but then they don't know what I know.

Off topic, but I also often ask my students to show me their hand before going up, and video that it's not shaking. Then show them, and the camera my hand shaking, and say "I guess you don't know what I know. Let's go find out what I know!"
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ