pojj

ankles

i have been reading alot lately about the damage most people mostly novice divers incounter while landing ...i no that proper canopy control is the answer but does it help to wear ankle supports or basketball type shoes for ankle support in case of a awkward landings

If I'm landing at a place in which I can twist my ankle, I'll wear some boots with ankle support. If not, I just wear tennis shoes, and if I get taken on a wierd crrosswind, dust devil, etc, then I'll just roll with the landing.

The best way to prevent an akle roll is to always be ready to PLF, and to not force a certain direction on landing. For example, if encountering a crosswind landing, don't try to run it out by sidestepping. Let yourself roll with the PLF.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

A common question. If you spend a few mintues doing a search you will find a lot of info. Specifically, info on why "boots" used to be worn and now running shoes tend to be worn when jumping.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I've read that most high top shoes don't really give mechanical support as much as they give heightened sensation of how straight or bent your ankle is. In other words. they let you know you're coming close to twisting an ankle and you can react to it. Don't know for sure. I've had about half a dozen sprained ankles over the years of jumping. :S

I've read that most high top shoes don't really give mechanical support as much as they give heightened sensation of how straight or bent your ankle is. In other words. they let you know you're coming close to twisting an ankle and you can react to it. Don't know for sure. I've had about half a dozen sprained ankles over the years of jumping. :S

Ditto on that. I've rolled my ankles so many times I can't even begin to remember. After a certain amount of abuse the ligaments get stretched to where they can never be expected to perform as if they were never injured. Probably goes without saying, but after a few sprains and strains, you are more susceptible to repeats.

I have found that the high tops do help; possibly for the reason given above. I taped for the last few years I played buckets and volleyball, but do not tape for skydiving. My experiecne is that it is a much easier sport on the knees and ankles. Something about the way athletic shoes stick to a wood floor that puts tremendous stress on those joints.

For skydiving, I agree with the comments about going with it versus trying to stick it or slide it in a pre-determined direction just because that was the original plan.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley