pojj

judging the cone to fly in

how does one tell if the glide ratio will be enough to get to a off landing area or if you will make it bak to the d.z.or do people look a certain distance and choose somewhere in that area,what makes you think whether your just going to fall short basically how do jumpers gauge there cone area....sorry for long post:D

As a general rule, halfway down- halfway back works just fine. If you are under an open canopy at 4,000 ft. you should be more than halfway back to the landing area by 2,000 ft.

If it's not working out for you it is time to find an alternate landing area. Make your decisions at an appropriate altitude.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

As a general rule, halfway down - halfway back works just fine.

Good stuff, Randy. You beat me to it.

I will add the provision that one needs to start the counter up high (your 4Kft example is good). I'll also add that by a conservative 2Kft, one should know where one is going to land.

I teach my students both the "halfway down - halfway back" technique AND the "when in doubt, take the out" directive.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

how does one tell if the glide ratio will be enough to get to a off landing area or if you will make it bak to the d.z.or do people look a certain distance and choose somewhere in that area,what makes you think whether your just going to fall short basically how do jumpers gauge there cone area....sorry for long post

DUDE.

You remind me sooooo much of myself. It appears that you are trying to get every piece of information you can, and gathering as many little facts along the way as you can - I'm guessing you're doing this so that you can be "perfectly prepared to make a perfect skydive."

Have you spent any time at all at an actual DZ? I'm guessing that you haven't.

Relax, for god's sake - all these answers will come, and the vast majority of what you're trying to learn is covered in the first jump course, or soon thereafter.

You will not, I repeat NOT, be fully prepared for the jump. You will do just fine, and you'll most likely have a very very good time - but NOTHING can prepare you perfectly for this experience. Stop being so preoccupied with how much shit can go wrong, and go watch some people skydive for real.

I'm trying to encourage you, whether you recognize it or not.
T.I.N.S.

I tend to agree, you should know your landing before getting into the plane. BUT you WILL land off at some point its going to happen, and its not a bad thing. halfway back works decent, horizon sinking or rising works decent.

Don't get caught with get thereites. To many people have been hurt trying to make it back or get closer and then whip it to get into the wind or hitting something when they have no outs.

As your making your way back LOOK everywhere for outs even if you think your going to make it back. Everywhere means 360degrees and straight down. Had a friend killed because she didn't look for her out which was behind her. If your going to land off then fuck it land off. Doesn't matter if its half mile or 10 get on the ground safe, your going to get a car ride either way. Land and then bitch at the spot. If you were in charge of the spot then buy beer

I will add the provision that one needs to start the counter up high (your 4Kft example is good). I'll also add that by a conservative 2Kft, one should know where one is going to land.

In Scott Miller's essential skills course, he taught that by 2,000', you have already picked out your alternate landing areas and decided which one (main or alternates) you will make.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Ask your instructors when you are ready to take advantage of a canopy control course. When they say you are ready... take the course!!!

One of the MANY things that I learned in my canopy control course was in an exercise about how to get back from a long spot. After classroom work and some drills over the airport, the pilot deliberately took us a moderate distance away from the airport and our task was to fly back safely. The techniques we had been taught worked so well... the instructor decided that the next class would need to exit further away! ;)

Sometimes experienced jumpers will take advantage of strong upper winds and exit several miles upwind and open their canopies immediately upon exit. They will then fly "cross country" back to the DZ. This can be both a lot of fun, and present a risk of landing out if things don't go well (this is a good reason to carry a cell phone and some cash on these jumps).

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!