DeNReN

2008 Skydiving Goals and Accomplishments

Well the year is almost past and the time seems fit for a thread of this nature.

I would love to read about others goals and accomplishments in 2008. Here is my story.

My 08 year started late in 07 as I prepared for and took a CSPA Coach 1 and Jump Master courses...

The courses had a profound effect on me and all my goals for 08 centered around completing the requirements to become certified and to learn learn learn...

The requirments may not seem like alot to some from big turbine DZ's but to me they seemed just within reach...50 jumps minimum,25 coaching contacts,25 students dispatched via IAD method,25 students radio'ed down under direct supervision for the Ground Control Instructor rating that is a mentorship previously taught on the JM course...

Myself and a good friend had done the courses together and frequently talked about the upcoming season.....a nice day in January lead to my 1st supervised student dispatch...I was packed and my friend was not. :P It went well and my heart continued to race for days.

As fate would have it I noticed a lump on my neck in January...it was still there and larger in early Feb....after being kicked in the ass by my G/F and friends I started the process of seeing doctors and testing to diagnose it....the mention and fear of cancer threw my skydiving goals for 08 way up in the air so to speak [:/]

Well by April, I had been through more blood work,x-rays,CT scans,barillium scans and a very nasty surgery to remove my tonsiles,clean out nasty absess(developed 2 days before surgery),scope my larinxe(spel) and remove a cue ball sized lymphnode...to be diagnosed with classic hodgkins lymphoma :|....needless to say I thought my summer of skydiving if not my life was going to shit real fast.

Late April the DZ got going and by late May the weather was coming around enough to say that the season had started...I was on a mission to jump as much as possible before having to start chemo in June...I got about 15 jumps in and completed my supervised IAD dispatches...the weather and working every second Sat hampered my new goals...

In June I started my sessions of ABVD chemo.....every 2 weeks I went in for treatment,and for a week of those 2 weeks I had to get a daily shot of a drug for my bone marrow to make more white cells..I actually responded not to bad to the chemo and was able to work most scheduled days and also continued jumping and learning to instruct at the DZ when I felt OK...

Aug comes and still trudging along ...the learning curve for instructing even at this level is fierce....my hair is pretty damn thin and I have no eyebrows by now...but how I love this sport and working with students makes it all the better.

A PET scan late Aug shows I am in remission!!!!...but still have to keep on the chemo and radation therapy for a month is scheduled daily in Oct. [:/]

The weather was not great at all this year so we jumped when we could....my DZO actually did more weekday tandems then weekend this year...

My last jumps were on fairly frosty days of Nov.30th Dec.6th and 14th....only me the DZO,Kenny a senior instructor and few die hard students at the DZ.

end results......77 jumps.....I logged 25 coaching contacts but did many many more.....observed more then 25 students being radio'ed in by senior instructors...radio'ed in over 40 myself...dispatched 106 students via IAD...

I had a very good skydiving year as I surpassed my goals and learned more than I could have ever imagined(the learning has only begun!!)

And I beat cancer...

I hope everyone had a great year and shares there experiances with the rest of us. :)

Great story and a great ending to your 2008! I hope your cancer remission ends in your cancer extermination and you go on to make thousands of future students see their dreams come true...

I personally started jumping again after a short break (1981 to 2008 to be exact :D), and what a difference from a T10 main and a C9 chest reserve!! Bought my own gear to save on rentals long-term, and a PD Storm 190 which I love so far. Did my first 12-way and SCR, and remain humbled and in awe of the abilities of those so experienced yet still so willing to lend a hand, give friendly advice and include us beginners in their dives.

I really look forward to 2009, to great dives, good stories, and building and learning more in this wonderful sport.

Blue skies and Happy New Year to all!!!B|B|

'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

DeNReN,

I've got to say that is an amazing story...and one that none of us could come close to touching. Congrats on your success with your goals and kickin' the cancer in the balls!

Since you asked, though...4 1/2 year hiatus because of a shoulder injury, and I'm back. Completed my goal for 2008 which was to hit my 300th jump. 2009 is going to be a tough one, mainly financially, because I want to get onto a 4-way team...but I'll be getting married! How do I sneak funds to jumping when they'll need to go to flowers, a cake, a venue, a tux (I opted for my jumpsuit...that didn't go over well), and all the other wedding hype.

Keep your head up and stay focused on your future goals. I really admire you for keeping at it when they days probably seemed very dark. Thumbs up to you!

SA B|