Aviatrr

My experience with Atair

The truth of the matter is that stock Crossfire you are getting is a fine parachute. It flies almost identical to a Cobalt, and most people can get them for about the same price.

The truth admitted at last! I hope for your sake Dan didn't hear you!
;)
geoff

I don't know if anyone has had a similar experience as mine but I want to share it. I demoed a Cobalt 150 last fall. I really liked everything about the canopy. Openings were consistently acceptible, on heading. The canopy flew very well and the flairs and landings were fantastic. In March I ordered 2 custom color Cobalt 150s. I recieved them in April.
I also had 2 new rigs on order but they had not arrived yet so I started jumping one canopy in my old rig. The openings were brutally violent. I was very meticulous with my packing according to instructions and my body position was good during deployment. I ended up with a deep bruse in my thigh so I contacted Atair. I spoke with their master rigger who sent me a larger slider. This did not resolve the problem. I made several calls but got no resolution. I made at least 30 more calls to get the opening problem resolved and I got no return calls over a 2 month period. I had a rigger inspect the canopies and the rigger said the line trim was way off in that it did not come close to the trim chart on Atair's web site. I finally got a call from Dan Preston. He sais he was busy doing test drops for the military. I advised him of the trim issue and he told the the trim had been changed for that canopy. If that is the case the published chart should have been changed as well. He had me send my canopies in, at my expense, and said he would inspect them. I made several calls over a period of 3-4 weeks. Dan told me that the canopies were ok and that he jumped one canopy and that it opened fine. They were returned to me. My new rigs were in so I put em together and jumped them. The openings were again brutal. I put 5 jumps on one canopy and the right brake line broke on opening about 18 inches down from the cascade. I had to cut it away. I called atair the following week and reported the problem. I never got a call back. I jumped the other canopy for the first time. The right brake line broke on opening on the first jump on the brand new canopy. I had to cut it away. In addition to the hard openings the stitiching on my toggle keepers on my risers were braking. It just so happens a very well known USPA regional Director was at my DZ conducting an instructional rating course. He is also a Master Rigger and a Desiginated Parachute Rigger Examiner. He inspected my canopies and his opinion is that the trim is not correct. He also referred me to another Master Rigger who has a lot of experience with Cobalts. He advised me that a skydiver at his DZ had the same problem. The canopy was returned and it was discovered the wrong line set was on the canopy. The line set was changed and the hard openings went away. I called Atair several times over the next couple weeks and finally someone there had me ship them back. I shipped them the week before Christmas. I have not heard back yet. I have spoken to several individuals in the parachute community and they have very negative opinions of Atair and Dan Preston. Now I understand why. I have recieved very unsatisfactory service as a customer and I would not recommend any involvement with Atair.

Sounds like exactly the same thing I'm going through with my 150 Comp Cobalt. 3 broken brake lines in less than 150 jumps. No response ever from Atair. There was a lady there to answer the phone, but the rest of the staff was always gone. I sent it to Skyworks where I was informed the line set was installed wrong. At least after I buy a new line set for my brand new canopy it won't try to kill me on opening B|.

"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.