illusioneer

What jump number was your first cutaway?

Had my first and only on jump #6. Static line and had a brake fire.

I agree about the pschie. I had about 200 military jumps 28 years before and always wandered and worried about how I would handle the ep's.

The mal on #6 certainly allayed all my fears and has made me more comfortable in the knowledge that I won't freeze up or panic.

I still practise my ep's at least three times before every exit though. :)

It was jump number 24....(No RSL)

Is it common for students to jump with no RSL? I've never seen this but I'm young. Was it an SOS system?

My 1st cutaway happened on jump 396. It was during a charity event where I was doing 53 H&Ps in a day. On the 16th jump of the day I had line twists on a Sabre 2. No big deal but then the canopy started spinning, diving, and the next thing I knew I was on my back picking up speed. I was exiting from 2200 feet so I knew I was short on time. I just went ahead and chopped it. Followed the free bag down which landed just across the street from the landing area. A member of the ground crew drove right to the canopy. I stood the landing up.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Is it common for students to jump with no RSL? I've never seen this but I'm young. Was it an SOS system?

Hmmm. I'm not aware of what the guidelines were for that 3 years ago. :S
What I can tell you is I had graduated AFF and went through the process of renting a transition rig to learn how to use a throw out and to downsize canopies at a reasonable stage. By jump 24 (still not yet an A-license holder) I was jumping my own gear, which was used and came with no RSL. A risk I was comfortable taking. So I don't know if it's common or not. Possibly for students who are purchasing out-of-production containers, like I did.

Silly question I'm sure, but what is SOS system?

Life is short. Live, laugh, love often!

my first mally was on jump 98, slider up. cut away and landed standing up under a 22' sac reserve. got the only dry spot out there. a freind followed me down and sank to his knee's in the mud:)

Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Jump #51, my second jump on my new J4 (reserve repacked earlier that day of course). Sunset load, solo (last out after an 8 way FS). Opened at 4K with 4 linetwists in the center of my lines. Fought it down to 3K and chopped because it was already dark, I had not gotten a single twist out, and I was flying away from the DZ. Landing out sucks, so I figured landing out at night would suck much worse, and landing out at night under a reserve I had never flown before would be the worst of the available choices. Even chopping at 3K I had to get on the rear risers and still barely made the edge of the DZ.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Jump #51, my second jump on my new J4 (reserve repacked earlier that day of course). Sunset load, solo (last out after an 8 way FS). Opened at 4K with 4 linetwists in the center of my lines. Fought it down to 3K and chopped because it was already dark, I had not gotten a single twist out, and I was flying away from the DZ. Landing out sucks, so I figured landing out at night would suck much worse, and landing out at night under a reserve I had never flown before would be the worst of the available choices. Even chopping at 3K I had to get on the rear risers and still barely made the edge of the DZ.

Did you end up finding the cutaway main canopy? Same night, or in the morning when it got bright again?

Jump 110, 1st round of accuranc in Barnwell, SC in a Carolina Sport Parachute Council (pre-club to the Carolina Skydiving League). Did not stand it up, but did PLF under a 28' Phantom. "Thanks" to Mark Lancaster (MEL) for 1)selling me that rig and 2) packing that reserve!
Danny Page sent me right back up under a Monarch 195 and a pud. I had never jumped zero-P or a pud. My accuracy meet was blown to hell!

Jump 18 HnP, unstable deployment, lines wrapped around leg and ankle, arms twisted through risers.
I untangled my leg, wrentched my arm from the risers, looked up said, NOPE, and chopped it.
Landed in the peas, with line burns on arms and legs.
The DZO was pissed off that I chopped his student gear:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

ETA, walked up to one of my instructors ask can you come for a jump with me? grabbed another student rig and went up again, about an hour after the Mal.

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I am a student (static line progression), who experienced a bag lock on my 16th jump (not counting military static line jumps in my past life). On my first 15 sec delay, after completing right and left 90 degree turns, I waved off and pulled at 4200'. After reaching 6 seconds with ripcord in hand and looking over right shoulder, I felt, heard or saw nothing from my main. As the baseball field to the north was growing larger and I was still in freefall, I executed SOS emergency procedures by pulling the reserve ripcord handle. After a very hard reserve opening, I uneventfully landed. The bag lock was confirmed from the observers on the ground, as I had no indication that anything at all had happened after pulling the ripcord. Because I am still awaiting my packing class, one of the packers had packed my rig.

I will make my last 45 sec delay (before solo status) jump tomorrow if the weather holds

Agreed!
Before my first malfunction, I was not confident that I could react correctly and survive.
On jump number 45, I did the usual four tries on a stiff, 4-pin main ripcord, then felt it pull me upright, but wind was still roaring past my ears.
A glance upward revealed (Crossbow) stabilizers all knotted together.
I asked my self: "Can I land this? Yes, but you will break a lot of bones."
So I laid my left handle hand across my chest-mounted reserve. I pulled and tossed my reserve ripcord and started feeding the reserve out by hand. Way too fast, the (white, 24 flat) reserve rushed out of my hands and inflated.
I did a hard PLF in a ploughed field off the end of the runway.

Jump number #1, on my first tandem we had a misrouted steering line. Tandem instructor cut it.

Later after AFF around jump number 15 or so, on my first unsupervised pack job I gave myself a mal and chopped it.

One other on a tandem as the instructor, slider stuck up and nothing I could do would convince it to come down.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"