JohnRich

"Parachutist" error? Or a prank?

Yes, the "E" in "Eastern" is there, but printed in a color which almost matches the background, so it's nearly invisible.

"Astern" is a nautical term meaning the rear of a ship, or going backwards. So perhaps someone who edited this column was trying to make a joke or a point about the Eastern region, being behind everyone else, or going in the wrong direction?

Or maybe it was meant to be like "A stern" region, meaning the director is a bit too gruff and strict?

Actually I think the letter E is still in yellow, but a cutout in the black/purple ink for the E to show through wasn't made -- thus yellow is being muddied by the black/purple background being printed on top of the letter E by accident. Usually for these multink printing processes where the background is a separate ink than the foreground (usually cyan, magenta, yellow, black), an opening for the letter "E" shows in the background of different ink (so the letter E should be white if the yellow wasn't printed yet). But in this case, the background ink was printed where it shouldn't have been.

Basically, the yellow ink shows "EASTERN" but the background ink (magenta and black inks), only had "ASTERN".

Error, I think -- but a prank-like one.

I think you're looking too much into it; waiting for somebody to take your bait for an argument, which will eventually turn into a discussion about yankee blue collar democrats in that area and how they're backwards. :S

Oh, shit... wait. Did I just take the bait??? :D:D

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

"Astern" is a nautical term meaning the rear of a ship, or going backwards. So perhaps someone who edited this column was trying to make a joke or a point about the Eastern region, being behind everyone else, or going in the wrong direction?

Or maybe it was meant to be like "A stern" region, meaning the director is a bit too gruff and strict?

if it has to be explained, it's an error, not a prank.

Most of you, except maybe John Rich, won't remember this one . . .

PARACHUTIST (not in on it) ran an advert where the first letter on each line of ad copy was this, and it stood for something specific.

E
S
A
D
R
N

And those letters stood for? Anyone?

NickD :)

PARACHUTIST (not in on it) ran an advert where the first letter on each line of ad copy was this, and it stood for something specific.

E
S
A
D
R
N

Eat Shit and Die ___ ______

Roger Nelson? Rug Nibblers? Red Nipples?

What was it?
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

E
S
A
D
R
N

It was a hidden message that spelled out eat shit and die roger nelson
It was a list of names of people who were supporting Zeke Lenn who was running for NW conference director and if you took the first letter out of each persons name it spelled out that message. Parachutist did not catch it until after publication.
The ad was in response to an ad Roger paid for in a previous issue urging people to not vote for Zeke.
The ad read "A vote for Zeke is a vote for a geek" Which started the "Geek Brothers" and soon after the "Geek Brothers Convention" annual boogie.
Parachutist no longer allows board candidates to pay for campaign ads and I believe that incident was the catalyst for the policy.

Onward and Upward!