Tuna-Salad

Have you ever been on a jump ship when something went wrong?

sure...
Kingers 1000th jump...[:/] mid 70's
DeHavilland beaver.. radial engine...
had some kinda problem... :|>:(
engine oil,,,,, all over the windshield @ 3000 feet....
no real big deal....
we all just Got Out.
pretty orderly. didn't land with it.

Only time that i was ever in an "aircraft emergency"....
not bad.... considering all the lifts i've been on over the years...
ONLY saw two other emergencies from the ground, while at the DZ...
Hmmm They both,,,, ALSO were with deHavilland beavers....Loooong time ago...
Must be ... NEWER planes,,,, are SAFER:DB|;)

jt

C182 climbing to altitude, can smell burning plastic/wires, sparks start flying out of the console onto his lap, and he calmly says:
"Do you mind getting out soon, I can get you over the DZ but I'd rather not keep climbing" :D

Everyone landed safely, turned out something was shorting out in the plane.

Been in several planes that blew jugs and had to land because I was with students who couldn't get out at that altitude, but the most memorable one was a blown jug at 400 ft. We;d been sitting around drinking the night before and I'd argued that 400 was the lowest I'd get out in an emergency -- the next morning I thought they were trying to play with my mind, but it was for real. The pilot did a wingover and cut power -- dead-sticked in, puddles of water on the runway stopped us from overshooting the end of the pavement.

The other memorable one was when the landing gear gave way as we turned onto the runway from the taxiway.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

C206 had a wire harness drop down within dashboard on takeoff with the yoke pulled back. After climbing, the yoke was stuck full back putting the plane into a stall. The pilot told us to hold on. We dropped our heads between our legs and sat tight while we turned between trees. The pilot was able to bring the plane down onto another runway with some big-time bouncing. All were fine, thanks to the pilot’s extraordinary flying abilities.

King Air at 13,000 with frozen throttle in full position. The pilot tried to drop altitude to give lines a chance to thaw, but they did not. All jumpers exited at high speed and pilot brought the plane down and landed successfully.

King Air, left engine out. We all left the plane except for a TI and student who were too low to jump. The pilot performed a beautiful landing with one engine.

Hats off to great pilots who stay calm and cool during rough situations and protect passengers from danger.

I was in a CASA that ingested a bird in the left engine just as we lifted off. I think my altimeter got to 800 feet, but with 400 foot hills under us. We landed safely. My view of the landing (you can't see a whole lot since I was on the cockpit floor) is in this short video... http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=4251.

Dave

Late '80s. Parkman's Twin Beech ate a jug at around 4000 feet. We all got out and landed in downtown Garrettsville.

Pilot ground looped on landing but everything worked out.

This is the plane http://www.dropzone.com/photos/Detailed/Jumpships/checkerboard_100327.html

\

HEY !! we jumped outta that plane, when it visited our DZ years and years ago,,,
and when it DIDN'T blow up...:o:P:P;)
did a guy named john?? used to fly it???

jmy

lets think about this.....3 days in a row at the Z-hills 1980 Turkey meet the first load the DC3, I think it was either Mr. Douglas or Southern Comfort, blew a jug on takeoff and we cruised up to 2 grand and all exited calmly, especially day 3....not again was the cry!
late 70's an engine blew on a 182 at 10 grand during 4way at nationals, pilot turns to say hold on he'll get us closer as I'm following out my team mates, 4 miles plus from DZ! wasted a practice jump!
taxing along a field airstrip we used and some talking to the pilot and he looks down long enough to go slightly off track and the wing hits a tree spinning us into a ditch, can't remember when or where, I think Duck End Farm in UK back in late 70's
not an emergency for us but we had a tire blow during takeoff and caused plane to slide to one side but pilot got her airborne. He landed it on a local airstrip with a concert runway rather than our grass strip and serviced with minor damage.
Pilatus Porter on takeoff the pilot realized he hadn't reset the trim and stalls out after just getting over the trees at the end of the runway and drops, well that's what it felt like, it onto a ploughed field just the other side of a road. We had to push it back through a gate down a road to the airport for the check up before it could fly again.
I think that's it.....not bad for 36 years of jumping and some of the older planes we used to use.

Two that I witnessed but missed out on.

First was a twin Otter(with sick engines) that had one prop go into beta(reverse) right at rotation. The pilot got it to about 300ft and was able to fly out,do a tear drop turn and land on the runway.If it had been 10* hotter I don't think they would have made it.

Second was a Casa at Skydive Monroe. Took off and got to about 1000ft and the left prop hub seperated from the aircraft. Again, the pilot returned to the airport. The prop was found in the woods about a year later by the land owner.

There was this one time at band camp... Well not band camp but in a Beech 18, sounded like a shotgun went off about 8500' Smoke and oil coming off the left door side engine. Pilot told us to hold on a bit while he got us closer to the DZ. All exited no issues and then the Pilot got the plane down. As it touched down the engine completely seized up and the prop stopped..

Have had some other issues in a plane but the Beech was the one I seem to remember the most..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Yup. Its posted on here somewhere. I was on a 182 with a full load that lost the engine at 200ft taking off. The pilot did an outstanding job and put us down in a cow pasture, avoiding the industrial park off the end of the runway. We all walked away with out a bump or a scratch, just a bent up airplane.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

King Air at 13,000 with frozen throttle in full position. The pilot tried to drop altitude to give lines a chance to thaw, but they did not. All jumpers exited at high speed and pilot brought the plane down and landed successfully.

King Air, left engine out. We all left the plane except for a TI and student who were too low to jump. The pilot performed a beautiful landing with one engine.

Hats off to great pilots who stay calm and cool during rough situations and protect passengers from danger.

Dumb question,

do TI's stay in the plane because you cannot jump a tandem rig with just the 1 person or is it just good manners to stick with the student?

Having Pilot Escape Chutes (PEC??) or whatever on the plane for the tandem passengers might not be a horrible idea. I know it would take a fair amount of time to don in a failing airplane and some $$ but judging by the stories in this thread sometimes there would be enough time.

Years ago a poorly running spinny thing on an otter about 1,000ft. We did a slow 180 and landed.

The cockpit escape hatch flew open on take off of a skyvan at Lost Prairie a few years back. It made one hell of a noise and everyone about crapped in their jumpsuits! We couldn't get it closed and did a go around to a nice landing.

I still get looks from jumpers when I ask them politely to buckle up, and wear their helmets. I see many jumpers that should know better wear a nice helmet on their chest strap for take off. Silliness, really...:S

Typically a solo jump is required during TI training. You don't want to leave a student in a plane, with no rig, with an open door, by themselves...see where this could go? Panic does crazy things to seemingly sane people.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Caravan at 11,000 ft the engine seized up. The pilot ordered us to wait while he glided closer to the dropzone and then had us exit one at a time, no poised exits or hanging outside the plane. He landed the plane with out incident.

I was on this same load! Single file exit, and no one paniced! Not bad at all.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Just once, on a C182 at Pell City back in 1995 or 1996. Buddy of mine was jumpmastering two static line students and I was in the back, and we were to go to 10K for a 2 way after dropping the students out at 4K. First student, no problem. Second student, BIG problem. He was so tall and lanky, maybe long legs. Jumpmaster kept yelling at him to crouch down as he was climbing out on the strut, but didn't or never heard him. Popped the pin on the door handle. All of a sudden I watched the main rip out and the student got whiplashed off the strut and passed barely inches under the horizontal stabilizer which the parachute hung up on for a split second before sliding off into a ball of shit, which he then cut away from to a round reserve, and THEN failed to PLF on the taxiway and broke his foot. The pilot was a back-up because our regular was sick, and boy he was scared. The plane seemed to fly okay, but there was some kind of vibration. My buddy and I planned to jump and let him land a lighter load, but he was just scared, so we rode it down with him. After climbing out to look at the plane, we saw a large crack in the fuselage at the horizontal stabilizer, and the tip of the stabilizer was about 6 inches further back than it should be. I'd say I cheated death that day. What a day!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Late '80s. Parkman's Twin Beech ate a jug at around 4000 feet. We all got out and landed in downtown Garrettsville.

Pilot ground looped on landing but everything worked out.

This is the plane http://www.dropzone.com/photos/Detailed/Jumpships/checkerboard_100327.html

\

HEY !! we jumped outta that plane, when it visited our DZ years and years ago,,,
and when it DIDN'T blow up...:o:P:P;)
did a guy named john?? used to fly it???

jmy

John Mollek(sp) Man the things we used to do to that plane.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne