kashton

I need help and advice... had a very recent traumatic brain injury =(

If you are truly concerned about it (or just wanna play it safe for a little while as you get back into it) you can wear a neck roll, like the ones made out of memory foam.

I'm not sure of too many others, but I am pretty sure Lazlo uses one when he jumps his larger video set ups, probably others (Hell, I may be wrong about Lazlo, but I know SOMEONE does it). I would talk this over with someone first, though... preferably someone who already uses it.

I have an unfortunately crooked back, and hard openings are not my best friend, either. I jumped a Spectre for more than a year, and found it was just as likely to spank me as other canopies I have jumped (Checking the trim on my lines would have helped, but I stand by my point).

As I am sure someone has pointed out by now (I didn't read every post) that hard openings are just part of the sport, especially should you need the reserve.

I put ~100 jumps on my Samurai and it was the most consistantly soft-opening canopy I have personally jumped. It gave me ONE hard opening, and it was a good one (Put me on the ground the rest of the day, couldn't move my neck). We sucked it a little low, I opened with my head a little low, and I payed for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl4J26D3nzI

Just an example of how extenuating circumstances can bring about painful consequences [:/]:S

It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

I have spent the last 25 years handling people with spinal injuries ( and every other kind).

Try this: sit upright in a chair and have a buddy push down on the top of your head simulating the g forces during opening. You'll feel the push and maybie alittle compression but thats about it.

Now put your head in your opening position and have him push on the back of your head. What do you feel now? ( i wouldn't let him push hard as he could possible severly injure you)

Hold a dumbell in your hand right against your shoulder. now move your arm out to full extension. The dumbell feels heavier, not because it is because it's moment of force is further away. Same thing with having your head forward its moment of force will want to tear it off of the spine. Head over your shoulders will compress in the natural way that your spine is meant to handle it. Remember an object in motion will stay in motion. In this case that would be straight down.

Any extremely hard opening can hurt your whole body. Putting your head out in front is really not a good idea. I don't want to see you on my table someday.

Take my advice or don't, but I do have the education and method of injury experience to give good advice in this matter. Be safe in whatever you decide works for you.
BSBD
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

I have spent the last 25 years handling people with spinal injuries ( and every other kind).

Try this: sit upright in a chair and have a buddy push down on the top of your head simulating the g forces during opening. You'll feel the push and maybie alittle compression but thats about it.

Now put your head in your opening position and have him push on the back of your head. What do you feel now? ( i wouldn't let him push hard as he could possible severly injure you)

Hold a dumbell in your hand right against your shoulder. now move your arm out to full extension. The dumbell feels heavier, not because it is because it's moment of force is further away. Same thing with having your head forward its moment of force will want to tear it off of the spine. Head over your shoulders will compress in the natural way that your spine is meant to handle it. Remember an object in motion will stay in motion. In this case that would be straight down.

Any extremely hard opening can hurt your whole body. Putting your head out in front is really not a good idea. I don't want to see you on my table someday.

Take my advice or don't, but I do have the education and method of injury experience to give good advice in this matter. Be safe in whatever you decide works for you.
BSBD

This response should be the last one, I hope. It pretty much summed it all up! Keep that head level, take some time off, and enjoy something else while you heal. Like Geocaching.

wade

>I used fists under chin to prevent neck pain going worse . . .
>Is there anything wrong about this way?

If it's used to keep your head upright, probably not. The one caution I would give you is to not grab your helmet with your hands; on a real slammer your hands will be pulled down (no one's strong enough or fast enough to fight a 10G opening) and they in turn will pull down on your head.

But as long as you are just using them to keep your head upright you're probably OK.

Sure there is something wrong with that !!! You stand a good chance at busting your nose and knokin' out your teeth !! Lets say you bringing in your fists nicely, like Tyson, and at that moment get a slammer...oh,,thats gonna hurt....
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Ive jumped a few times when I wasnt feeling so great and not only is it alot less fun but I usually end up getting myself into some shit. Even something as minor as a lack of sleep the previous night can significantly impact every aspect of your jump in a negative way.
Ive established for myself that from now on Im only jumping if I feeling top notch both physically & mentally.
I can offer you the same advice.

I'm smiling, I'm doing my best to be nice, I do enjoy living.

You get to live once only, right?

Following your sigline - once is enough.

I've seen a small friend girl supporting her head like that.
I will warn her about "Tyson punch" possiblity.

Nice point.
What goes around, comes later.

Hi Kevin,

There's enough said about the body position during opening. As a cameraman with lots of equipment on my head I can confirm that keeping your head straight is really the best situation.

Regarding the canopy you could consider Dacron lines instead of microlines. They won't last as long but will definitely give you softer and more consistent opening. I jump all PD canopies for various jobs but mainly Sabre2 for camerawork. I even prefer it above the Spectre.

Get back in the air prepared.