cesslon

Failed AFF 3

hang around the DZ a while and chat to the more experienced guys. I had a stage when I felt really despondent because I wasn't getting everything done in the minimum # of jumps - till I started realising almost everyone seems to go through some point where they have to repeat.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Most of us had what we felt as setbacks in our AFF progression. I was having so much fun on my second tandem in my TAFF program that I forgot to pull after being prompted twice (hell I was having fun!!) But after my scolding (eerrr ummmmm re-education on altitude awareness) I am ever so altitude aware now!

I then needed FURTHER training to pass my AFF level 3 like yourself. it's easy to be stable when the JM has your harness, it's a whole new world when you are on your own. When Ed let me go I was a spinning potatoe chip (scared the hell out of me) Ed was there for me, redocked, I got stable and pulled. I would hate to even think about what would of happened if I deployed while spinning like I was. I repeated 2 aff jumps as I progressed, yes it was expensive but very neccessary.

Here is a clicky www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1508251;search_string=brief%20journey;#1508251 for some light reading on my journey to my "A" lic.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I failed my level 4 also.

Xited the plane, got stable, started my turns, hit a CLOUD (my BEER cloud) and turned into a deer in headlights!! lol

My instructor (AWSOME GUY) tackled me at about 3500 as we were coming out of the bottom of the cloud (all on video). BUT I DID beat him to my hacky.

LOL. Nice try tho TOM!!!

Scott

I then needed FURTHER training to pass my AFF level 3 like yourself

I know a great jumper who needed SEVERAL attempts to pass level 3....This jumper is now an AFF "I".
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I failed my level 4 also.

Did you die?

If not then you didn't "fail".

You just didn't move to another level.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I then needed FURTHER training to pass my AFF level 3 like yourself

I know a great jumper who needed SEVERAL attempts to pass level 3....This jumper is now an AFF "I".

Actually if you want to get technical, she passed level 3 on the 7th try. Yes she is now an AFF I.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Actually if you want to get technical, she passed level 3 on the 7th try. Yes she is now an AFF I.

What makes you think I am talking about her....Don't get me wrong, I am..But just wondering;)

I failed level 4 AFF. When doing forward motion to redock with the JM I went mach 1 towards him, got scared and put on my version of brakes, which was knees to chest. Before I knew it I was on my back under the JM. So, I arched to get stable and started doing perfect backloops. I did about 4 before I got stable. As I came around each loop, I could see the JM in a serious dive. As I got stable, he nailed me in the back and came around the front of me with a bloody mouth. We still had some time left. To my suprise, he released me for the wave off and pull. I had to repeat #4. Next jump, I was very nervous.

It's better to look at it as an opportunity to do the dive again.

I did level 2 three times way back when I started. Don't sweat it, it will come.

I agree with Miami on this one..you didn't "fail"...you learned and had the opportunity to do it again and do it better each time. I got to do L3 3 times..and I'm glad I was held back until I really "got it".. AFF is stressful and intense, dont be so hard on yourself. BTW..Miami is fully aware of how challenging I was as a student:D

Ron,

I stand corrected. I did not accomplish all tasks specified on AFF 4 (i didn't fail) :)
I assure you, I wasn't broke up about it, I had a good time on the dive, that dam cloud just freaked me out and I lost focus. Looking back on it, it was fun, and clouds don't bother me anymore.

Scott

I failed level 4. My first attempt, when doing a prcp I went into a flat spin. Then checked my alti. and spun again! It scared the shit out of me! 2nd attempt started spinning without making any conscious effort to turn! 3rd attempt (all in the same day) frustrated, disappointed and mentally tired, I went out (with much hesitation) and passed it! As long as you learn what you are doing wrong it will make you a better skydiver. And tunnel time helped too!

Muff Brother 3723

I wish I had only failed once! It took me 11 jumps to get through 7 levels. And of course, at my small drop zone, where my husband has history with one of the old timers, I took a lot of fun ribbing.
When I graduated from student status, I was still wishing I had that harness hold for a few more jumps. It was hard for me to understand how the whole program was set up to have you jump out on your own with no instructor after just 7 jumps!!! But, then again, I must be a slow learner.
But a few jumps later and I finally got used to the idea. Now, if I could just have more help with the landings, the RW work seems like a piece of cake! Hoorah! Never Quit.
People Too Weak To Follow Their Own Dreams Will Always Keep You From Following Yours.

I was so good at the beginning that I passed 5 levels in 4 jumps B|

However, after that I failed level 6 once and level 7 twice:S.

The final result i.e. completing the AFF course in 9 jumps wasn't too bad, at least that is what I like to think :)

You mean you had a jumpmaster in freefall with you? What a luxury! When I spun like that, people from the ground said: "It looked like you were falling and you couldn't get up." My freefall progression (following 5 static lines) went, good jump, bad jump, good jump , bad jump. and then finally more bad than good. Harry

It took me 6 jumps to get through level 3. I could not arch. My TI told me I did not fail. He asked if I learned anything. I said yes. He said I did not pass. I too, have had an instr pull for me, no biggie. I understood what I had done and did not repeat. I suffered from nervousness and information overload. once I relaxed it got better. I went in to a flat spin on my solo while pulling my pilot. I twisted my body. It scared me because I ended up with severe line twists. I followed my training and kicked out by 4200'. On the next 6 jumps I did 5 prcp's and learned what I was doing and found also that I was keeping my right arm straight out after pull. I got an AFF video. I helped tremendously. Now, anytime I get nervous, tell myself I need to relax and trust my training. I have much to learn and enjoy doing it.

My 2c on my AFF probs.

Oh, it helps one to relax when your primary instr sticks his tounge out like mick jagger or AC/DC... I forgot about being nervous and just thought he was nuts....

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

Well, it a relief to see all you peeps say this! It took me 16 jumps to get through my AFF; I was running out of time and cash to finish the AFF course in the 12 days I had in spain. I extended by a day, and lost that day to the dreaded Montana. However, morning of the last day was spot on for jumping, did the Level 7, didn't pass it. Gutted. Was ready to give up. My instructor (Kevin McCarthy - great guy) told me I could do the manuevures, had seen that I could do it, and basically told me that he knew I could do, and so did I. I went up again, and passed it! Then I just had time to squeeze in my first solo jump (consol #1). The feeling after getting the level7 was indescribably amazing. Was so happy I went up again! :)
At least I know I'm not alone at being crap! lol.

I'm now saving up to go back out to spain in a month or two to finish my consols. Roll on!

Blue Skies (No Wind!)

My TI told me I did not fail. He asked if I learned anything. I said yes. He said I did not pass.

yeah, what Salsa John said. i did SL not AFF but had to repeat a few jumps - problems with getting my exit and arch right. i was really pissed off when i realised i wasn't gonna get it done in minimum # of jumps. then one of my instructors said to me: every jump teaches you something. this way, you KNOW you are ready before you move on, so you are safer and have more confidence. i think he's right.
i also think by that time we are counting jumps in the hundreds and thousands, doing an extra couple at the beginning's not gonna be such a big deal :)
oh, and talk to the more experienced jumpers on your DZ. it helped me a lot to find out a lot of them had been through the same thing - the consensus seemed to be almost everyone gets a "block" somewhere and then it's plain sailing after.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

You didn't fail. You just didn't master the particular skill required to go on to the next level. Big fat hairy deal. The jump still counts in your logbook, you learned from the experience, and you're going to jump again.
What matters the most is that down the road, when you have hundreds of jumps, you will look back and know the AFF JM was looking out for your future skydiving career. Hindsight is always 20/20 and you will see it more clearly than you do now.

Quit beating yourself up. Focus on the next jump and what the JM wants you to do to prepare.

And have fun~!~
Attitude is everything!