chuckakers

Amazing parachute fix

Just saw Billy Mays hawking "Mighty Mendit" glue on TV. Must be good stuff. They used it to fix a rip in a canopy, then jumped and landed it! Must have been a reserve too, as you could see a freebag come off the canopy during deployment.

Now I'll never need my rigger to fix canopy rips again! Get yous at 1-800-503-5019.

Anyone know where that jump took place? The aircraft was an Otter.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

There used to be an old retired CSM at the Green Beret Club that patched holes in his Para Foil 282 with 100 mph tape (Army improved version of duct tape).

And - for the record - Billy Mays irritates me worse that anything I can think of. Now . . . the Shamwow guy is the MAN!

Mighty Mendit might be just the thing for me to glue my new boss's boots to the floor. :) I already sewed his wallet into the pocket of his jeans. :D (Friggin civilians).

Arrive Safely

John

Just saw Billy Mays hawking "Mighty Mendit" glue on TV. Must be good stuff. They used it to fix a rip in a canopy, then jumped and landed it! Must have been a reserve too, as you could see a freebag come off the canopy during deployment.

Now I'll never need my rigger to fix canopy rips again! Get yous at 1-800-503-5019.

Anyone know where that jump took place? The aircraft was an Otter.

Haha, saw that today myself.

I personally prefer duct tape. Why mess with what works, eh? :D
Signatures are the new black.

you'd think the FAA would have something to say about using mighty mendit to fix a tear in your canopy.

I told you not to believe everything you see in commercials, would of thought you learned that after maxing out your credit card on 'Extenze'! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

you'd think the FAA would have something to say about using mighty mendit to fix a tear in your canopy.

I told you not to believe everything you see in commercials, would of thought you learned that after maxing out your credit card on 'Extenze'! :S

BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was freaking priceless! :D
Always be kinder than you feel.

My mom works for the company that helps distribute the informercials/commercials to the channels they run on, she was telling me about the commercial idea before it was shot.

It was shot in Miami i believe....

If anyone wants stuff off those 1800 commercials let me know before you order it! I get all that stuff for free!!

FAA doesn't have any regs governing what you jump for a main canopy, or what you repair it with. Bedsheet with kite strings for suspension lines is good enough for them.:)

I thought that FAA regs said any alterations to parachute equipment had to be done by an FAA certified Master Rigger. Does that only apply to reserves then? Hypothetically, under FAA regs even though I would never do such a thing, would I be able to put patches on my own main canopy?

[reply\]
I thought that FAA regs said any alterations to parachute equipment had to be done by an FAA certified Master Rigger. Does that only apply to reserves then? Hypothetically, under FAA regs even though I would never do such a thing, would I be able to put patches on my own main canopy?

I'm not a riigger, so maybe one will correct me, but, yes, I've done plenty of small patches on main parachutes. My position is from reading part 105, where each parachutist is required to have an approved harness/container assembly and an approved reserve. The main parachute is not addressed. Years ago, I heard of a company looking at marketing a sew-it-yourself main canopy kit. Never did come to fruition.

Hi John,

I'm not a riigger, so maybe one will correct me

Actually, the FAA does require a rigger's ticket to work on a main. I don't remember the exact FAA document ( and don't care anymore ).

I consider this the most stupidest thing to ever come down the FAA road.

Your granny can make the canopy out of SanranWrap if she wants but you must be a rigger to repair it. How many ways can you say DUMB?

One of the best things ( IMO ) that the PIA could do would be to petition the FAA to keep their hands off of anything that is not certificated.

Some may agree with me and some may not; life has always been that way. >:(

JerryBaumchen
PS) As a lowly Sr. Rigger I did a 'lot' of mods to my old ParaCommander. Was I wrong in not notifying the FAA of what I had done? :P

Actually, the FAA does require a rigger's ticket to work on a main. I don't remember the exact FAA document ( and don't care anymore ).

When ripstop tape is outlawed, only outlaws will have ripstop tape.

I consider this the most stupidest thing to ever come down the FAA road.

You see even worse when you work for them 5 days a week. :D:D

Thanks for your input, Jerry. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the irony in this. ;)

"... Years ago, I heard of a company looking at marketing a sew-it-yourself main canopy kit. Never did come to fruition.

"

Lone Star Parachute Company and later Parakit sold me two kits back in the late 1980s. I completed the first (210 square foot, 7-cell) canopy in 1986 and made about 250 jumps on it before replacing it with another (220 square foot, 9-cell) Para-Kit canopy that I made about 350 jumps on.
Both canopies are still air-worthy and sitting in my closet. However they have been rendered obsolete by ZP fabric.