Evelyn

Skydiving after scarey mal

Had a very scary high speed mal, first round of Nationals. Knew I had to get back up in the air with my team so didn't really think about it. Now that Nationals are over and I have had time to think about how close I came to death I find that I am hesitant about jumping. Have only done one jump since Nationals. Was going to jump today (beautiful day in So Cal) but opted to stay home and play wii. Anyone else had this experience and can offer advice?

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Pleased that you made it through in good shape!!

If you feel up to discussing it, would you mind giving a brief description of the occurrence and the remedies; would there be any useful lessons that newbies like myself could learn from your successful experience?

Thanks a lot! B|

Blue skies...

'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

Pretty much got back on the horse right away, so now have to get back on the horse again. I'll get there. Have already committed to a ten way team for a meet in a couple weeks. Should be good for me getting back into jumping.

Sure, no problem. Threw out my pilot chute, nothing happening, looked up, nothing, went for my cuttaway handle and pulled it but as I was pulling it was thinking, why the fuck am I pulling this when I have nothing out, so went for my reserve. Looked up to see a partially inflatted main, my reserve was just hangning there still in the bag and the bridle from my reserve pilot chute was wrapped around my left riser. I stuffed the reserve bag between my legs and was able to get enough slack on the reserve bridle to work it down the riser of my main to get it to fully inflate at about 200 feet before I landed in a cotton patch. I am thankful to be alive.

Sure, no problem. Threw out my pilot chute, nothing happening, looked up, nothing, went for my cuttaway handle and pulled it but as I was pulling it was thinking, why the fuck am I pulling this when I have nothing out, so went for my reserve. Looked up to see a partially inflatted main, my reserve was just hangning there still in the bag and the bridle from my reserve pilot chute was wrapped around my left riser. I stuffed the reserve bag between my legs and was able to get enough slack on the reserve bridle to work it down the riser of my main to get it to fully inflate at about 200 feet before I landed in a cotton patch. I am thankful to be alive.

wait so, your main finally inflated??

that woulda scared the crap out of me too... was it just a hesitant main?

its good that you got right back up on jumping, you can do it, you did do it, just relax, maybe do a coach jump or 2 with a friend?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Holy cr@p!! So if I read it correctly you had a PCIT, almost pulled your cutaway but decided on the reserve. Murphy's law was hard at work and the PCIT cleared at the same time and the reserve PC started to deploy around the left main riser. You seized the reserve bag and got the reserve bridle and PC untangled from the riser in time for a landing under an inflated main from 200'. Wow...

It takes courage to continue jumping after yanking the Reaper's chain that hard and walking away from him. Well done on keeping your cool and thinking straight in what must have been the most terrifying 20 seconds of your life...

I THINK what I would do now is a couple of high pulls on the next few jumps just to satisfy my inner gremlins that it was a million to one chance and that it is history, and enjoy the canopy rides down.

I KNOW that I will think about it in almost exactly 12 hours from now when I am looking out the Caravan's door at 14,000'!!!

I bet the first beer after that lot tasted absolutely awesome...B|B|B|

Blue skies, and safe jumping!!!
'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

had my second cutaway back in aug 07. Bag lock. Scared the crap outta me.(had hummed it low on a BFR anyway) but I got the reserve out n was in the saddle by 900 ft.
Reason I am responding is, I am having the same dilemna, but for different reasons.Ihookedin back in feb, and am very close to getting back in the air. Soclose that Iwasgoing to do my recurrence dive today, but plain n simple, I was afraid.
I plan on making it tomorrow, but I gotta admit, I am nervous about landing. I have to do it tho.
just thought I would reply to let ya know even us big tuff guys get skeereda lil bit too :)

Just a little bit more info - we think the reason i had this mal was due the fact that I had recently changed to a bigger d-bag and had a new packer for Nationals. He thinks he may have switched the order of the closing tflaps of my rig, which normally wouldnt have made a difference but could have.

I have never had a "scary" mal so I cant give you advice about that.

I will say though, that in the time I knew you at Perris, I saw you change from a fairly timid person, into someone that was becoming stronger and stronger everyday.

I am sure you will find the strength to do what ever you feel is right for you. Be that jumping again, or never jumping again.

Let it happen when it feels right. Kinda like sex!!:D

Dom

If you throw out a PC, you need to cut it away.... that's first jump course info. Even pilot chutes in tow count for that, for the scenario you found yourself in.

Great job dealing with it though. Guaranteed I'd have pissed myself at some point in that situation!!!!

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Real simple:

Is it still fun? In freefall, under canopy, on landing, are you still having fun or are you scared or worried about possible problems?

Having a plan for them is one thing. Being scared is not.

If it's overall still fun, keep jumping. If not, stop for a while.

The sky will always be there. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

If you throw out a PC, you need to cut it away....

The jury is out on that one... although I tend to agree.

To the OP, get over it - or get out. Shit happens and chances are that unusual shit won't bite you twice. Don't go jumping with mental hang-ups.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Hi Evelyn
Look what you did at nationals was one of the most courageous things I ever witnessed. You got right back into fight, with us . We didn't miss or delay a single round. Thank you ! I really mean that

If you like we could meet during the week (slower pace less distraction) and we can do some low stress two ways I am here for you just let me know
Your Team Mate

Jack

If you opted to play Wii for the day, so what, it's just something you "chose to do". When you get the urge to jump again, and if you do, you'll know when to go back and jump.
Life is about what you "feel like doing and doing it ", not what you "think you should be doing". Your right around that time and number of jumps people start finding other activities, and take a break from the sport.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Oh Evelyn, after reading your description of the incident, I can understand how you feel. I'm so glad you got it worked out and are alright.

I've never had such a close call. Chopped a streamer once, long ago and got right back up on a friend's rig while my own reserve was being repacked. But lately this year I've had recurring nerves after the too many fatalities we've had in So Cal in just six months - 2008 was a BAD year.

I think if you get back in the air with good friends and just go easy for a bit, you'll regain your confidence. Living through each skydive is never a sure thing. Never has been, never will be. But the odds are pretty darn good - especially for people like you, who keep their wits about them in the worst situations. You are a testament to never giving up. Nevertheless, it is your personal decision to make.

I've always liked and respected you and now, what can I say. I admire you. I think you'll be back when you're ready. You'll get tired of hiding behind a wii game. You're just not a couch potato.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

You just survived one of the scariest mals out there and lived to jump again. That tells me you kept your head and did what you had to to survive.
Watch Brian Germain's video lecture on transcending fear and that will show you some ways of calming those felings.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TranscendingFear

Blues,

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

Why a bigger D-bag? They are sized for the container, not the canopy.

What was the age and condition of your pilot chute?

Good job working a problem. :)

I'll second that question. A D-bag -is- sized for the container, not the canopy. If the canopy is too large for the bag, then a larger -container- is needed. Or a smaller main.

And Evelyn! Wow! I can't imagine such a decision tree you had to deal with, given what presented itself. Yes, I would have continued the cutaway that was started. Once the cable is started to pull then you should be committed to completing the task. Who knows if the main risers have been compromised in any way once that process has started.

I agree with those who advise you get back in the air in a gentle way and pull high enough to play again. I had a scary cutaway during JFTC 2002 and had to get right back on the horse then. It was the jumps -after- the event concluded that had mental demons in them. You'll know when the time is right to slip that rig back up over your shoulders. Until then, relax and do whatever you'd like to. Maybe wind tunnel for a bit?

You're a go-getter now, not the timid person who started skydiving a few years ago. You'll know when the timing is right.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

wait so, your main finally inflated??

that woulda scared the crap out of me too... was it just a hesitant main?

its good that you got right back up on jumping, you can do it, you did do it, just relax, maybe do a coach jump or 2 with a friend?

edited/

Great job surviving though by the OP. Understanding why what happened, happened, may make you feel better about the whole incident?

Time will help Im sure....