JohnRich

"Parachutist" versus "Skydiving" Magazines

I too find it ironic that "Skydiving" magazine features B.A.S.E. jumping, while "Parachutist" magazine does not.

Or put another way, "Parachutist" only covers skydiving whereas "Skydiving" covers all parachutists.

Peace,
-Jeff.

Shouldnt that be the other way around :S

I've gotten both for the last 20+ years. If the goal is to save trees, Skydiving should quit with the renewal notices. I get them every 2-3 months no matter how long I still have on the subscription. Of course if the subscription expiration was on the address label (it's not) I'd be able to tell when it was expiring.

I've gotten both for the last 20+ years. If the goal is to save trees, Skydiving should quit with the renewal notices. I get them every 2-3 months no matter how long I still have on the subscription. Of course if the subscription expiration was on the address label (it's not) I'd be able to tell when it was expiring.

Yeah. We cover that issue, here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1610497;

I've always like both magazines. Parachutist is the "official" showcase mag that I like to show my friends, with all the snazzy pics.

But for reading material, exploring controversial subjects and points of view, I find Skydiving to be far and away the better read.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

OK, so after 381 votes, it appears that 52% of respondents subscribe to Parachutist. Aside from the folks that are from outside the U.S., it looks like there are a lot of U.S. jumpers that aren't USPA members?

Are there that many non-USPA DZs?

Are there that many USPA DZs that don't require membership?

Has USPA become that irrelevant?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

OK, so after 381 votes, it appears that 52% of respondents subscribe to Parachutist. Aside from the folks that are from outside the U.S., it looks like there are a lot of U.S. jumpers that aren't USPA members?

Are there that many non-USPA DZs?

Are there that many USPA DZs that don't require membership?

Has USPA become that irrelevant?

Not subscribing to Parachutist doesn't automatically mean not being a USPA member. A couple guys at my DZ got so tired of Parachutist being the same people, places and things that they told USPA not to send it. It doesn't lessen the dues, but makes their mailbox a little less full.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

OK, so after 381 votes, it appears that 52% of respondents subscribe to Parachutist. Aside from the folks that are from outside the U.S., it looks like there are a lot of U.S. jumpers that aren't USPA members? Are there that many non-USPA DZs?

I don't believe those statistics should be interpreted in that way.

If I recall, multiple choices were allowed in the poll. Thus, one person could vote that he subscribes to both "Parachutist" and "Skydiving". That's only one person, but two votes. And a large number of the total votes may fit into this possibility.

So it's NOT really saying that of all the respondents, only 52% are USPA members.

It's more like saying that, of all the USPA members that get "Parachutist" as part of their membership, all but 9% of them also get "Skydiving" (52% - 43% = 9%).

OK, so after 381 votes, it appears that 52% of respondents subscribe to Parachutist. Aside from the folks that are from outside the U.S., it looks like there are a lot of U.S. jumpers that aren't USPA members? Are there that many non-USPA DZs?

I don't believe those statistics should be interpreted in that way.

If I recall, multiple choices were allowed in the poll. Thus, one person could vote that he subscribes to both "Parachutist" and "Skydiving". That's only one person, but two votes. And a large number of the total votes may fit into this possibility.

So it's NOT really saying that of all the respondents, only 52% are USPA members.

It's more like saying that, of all the USPA members that get "Parachutist" as part of their membership, all but 9% of them also get "Skydiving" (52% - 43% = 9%).

Gotcha, John. My pea brain didn't catch that. But it kinda does bring up the subject.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX