keithbar

rigs and airport security

not trying to rehash the whole should you just carry the rig as a backpack or put it in something discussion. but most of the replys I have read on the other threads say. put it in a bag alone without anything else or something along those lines. my question is why? I have an old samsonite hardside suitcase that is within the size requirements for a carryon. and I can fit my rig, jumpsuit, goggles, frap hat, gloves, alti, and pro dytter in it. is this a bad idea? and if so why? any 1st hand experiences would be most helpful.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

It goes through screening quicker if it is by itself. If you put it through with every thing else in the bag then most likely the entire bag will get flagged and they will have to hand search and swab everything. I would take it out of the bag and put it through the conveyer by itself. That way if if gets flagged there is much less to look through and swab (just the rig itself).

They'll let you on the plane, nobody cares if you blow up Clewiston!!!

No offense to Airglades I love the place. It will always be home ! FJC there.

When your there check out the fugly looking 3 way exit poster in the student room. I'm in the white jumpsuit with red stripes. Just found out it's still there after 20 years.B|

ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Lead weights, however, will get you flagged. They are impenetrable to X-ray.

he he now that's funny. anyone who knows me knows ( spanish accent ah la badges) ...."weight vest I don't need no stinking weight vest" I carry my fall rate inducer around with me at all times:P thanks for the replys guys
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

You can put all that stuff in with the rig - I travelled to the US, all around, out to Mexico, back in,around again and out and I only got searched the day that I lost my passport and had to get to New York to get a new one. For some reason they thought that was suspicious? ;)

From the horses mouth (a security guard in the US): never check your rig in with your luggage because if they want to search it for any reason then you're not present and can you imagine the damage?

Another tip: the rig is waay to heavy for carry-on. Just avoid any weighing. hehe

Only skydivers know why the birds sing; they don't have to pack a parachute!

I put it alone into my roll-on to keep the x-ray image simple for the screeners. Most screeners see rigs infrequently or they have only seen a rig x-ray image from a manual or internal document. I want to keep the visual as simple as possible.

50/50 they either let me roll on through, or swab the roll-on and the rig and let me roll on through.

Simple! :)
I feel much better now that it is protected in a suitcase, no worrying about stuff getting spilled on it or handles messed with while on the plane. :)

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

From the horses mouth (a security guard in the US): never check your rig in with your luggage because if they want to search it for any reason then you're not present and can you imagine the damage?

Which is why there is a print of TSA's own document right on top of my rig in my suitcase, where it says that the owner will be present for searching, and I will be paged to be present for that, or it will not be searched (and not be carried).

Never had any problems with the rig in my suitcase, though I do tend to stick around until the suitcase has gone through the X-ray machine. Of course, there's a beer time for everything.
Johan.
I am. I think.

The answer as to "why" this is being said is simple. Because a few years back, when USPA (Ed Scott in particular I believe, but maybe he can answer more directly himself) was working closely with the then "young" / relatively newly formed TSA on establishing mutually-acceptable and (supposed to be) RECOGNIZED procedures - this was agreed to be part of the protocol, and/or "suggested".

Therefore, this is USPA suggested.

Everyone seems to just tend to always do whatever they want anyway - so why not. Go for it. I can't believe you can fit all that stuff AND your rig in a single container, and still have it pass/size/fit as carry-on. That in of itself is a feat! Ahhh, okay, I just re-read now, you jump a frappe hat. I used to lay mine on top of the rig too, in the same carry-on as well, but any other electronics and such (incl altimeter) I'd have as my 2nd, smaller "personal item" (in a helmet bag).

To answer your question though as to why, again - it is just simply because when USPA and TSA got together, these are the procedures that were suggested, when they came out of that meeting.

But everyone wants to be a rebel, right?

As you've already seen in all the threads (and there's plenty of 'em) there's lots of folks who will point out how many variables they actually practice and how much they can "get away with". So I guess "whatever". Like any of 'em I suppose, go ahead - go for it. As with anything else, YMMV.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Another tip: the rig is waay to heavy for carry-on. Just avoid any weighing. hehe

from talking with southwest. they said that as long as it is within the 24 inch by 16 inch by 10 inch thick size requirement. they don't care how much it weighs as long as I'm able to lift it into the overhead bin.

Aircraft have specified weight limits for the overhead baggage compartments and as a result the airline itself may have a per-person limit to satisfy that.

I was talking to DSE and he said travelling around the world he just tosses the rig right on the conveyor and walks through. If I did the same they'd probably taser me. Some people are just lucky I guess.

I've flown much less with my rig but each time they wanted to swab it. I just politely put it on the conveyor complete with ditter, altimeter etc packed in a roll-on that fits the sizing frame and let them know it's a parachute, here is the AAD card and if they have any questions let me know.

There are a lot of things to consider. The airline might say no, the TSA might say no. If you bring your rig unwrapped it may freak out some passengers. Last month I forgot I was wearing my "No Perfectly Good Airplanes" t-shirt. That freaked a few people out. Oops.

So if you freak out a few passengers it might be a strike against all of us if the airline begins to believe that a parachute in carry-on may be alarming for other passengers.

-Michael

I have never had a problem using a rig as a carry-on. One piece of advise: There's a wallet sized card that comes with the cypress of what a rig should look like through the scanners with a cypress installed. This should help in preventing them from tearing your rig apart in case of suspiscion. As for "weight requirement", I have taken several commercial flights and not once had one of my carry-on's weighed. So don't know where that came from.

My second piece of advise is: as soon as the "fasten seatbelt" sign shuts off, stand up, get your rig, start putting it on, and watch people's faces light up!!! Some in-flight entertainment for yourself!!

You are lucky, Unfortunately my rig is pretty damn big. It won't fit in a carry on size bag, Ive tried.... I checked it once and that about gave me a heartattack, it wasn't there when I landed! I did get it back but since then I have just carried it as a backpack on the plane. No problems with security, couple swabs and once had to show the card (xray vigil card) and nobody even bugging me on the plane. But, I think that may be cause I look like an asshole :P:D. Definitely bring it with you on the plane one way or the other, I would not suggest checking it, or anything worth 4 grand for that matter....

I put my rig in a backpack and just wore that. It got swabbed once but all the other times nobody even said anything. When it got swabbed, the guy at the x-ray was like what in the world this. I said it is a parachute. He ended up swabing the backpack. I told him the parachute is inside the bag but he just swabbed where the pull tabs on the zipper met up and was like ok your good with a confused look on his face. I was worried about having to get a repack, but I didn't even have to take my rig out of the bag!

I have never had a problem using a rig as a carry-on. One piece of advise: There's a wallet sized card that comes with the cypress of what a rig should look like through the scanners with a cypress installed.
thats one problem i don't have to worry about;) along with 4 year checks and shit caning it after 12

I have been on 5 flights with my newly purchased rig so far, I put it in a gear bag I bought at Eloy from Square 2. I used the smaller pocket for my phones, wallet and a book. I wrapped some thick paper underneath electrical tape at the reserve D ring to harness connection,(thick paper just to prevent the stickiness upon removel), it seemed all to easy for one of the TSA agents to pick the rig up via the reserve handle. I was right there when he swabbed it, but you never know. Being a new jumper with a javlin, 190 main, 225 res, I thought I might have some trouble getting it into the overhead being kept in the bag. No problem on the US airlines or international flights plenty of room. Felt good to have it by my side the whole time.

Prepare to be verbaly lashed for this comment,

I wrapped some thick paper underneath electrical tape at the reserve D ring to harness connection,(

Some people think that everyone are forgetfull dumbasses and whont remember to remove it before jumping. Personally, I prefere zip-ties.;)
Muff #5048

Simply synch your chest-strap fully tightened properly through the tensioner one time, so that it pulls both sides of the MLW together. Then, take the excess chest-strap available, and give it as many turns THROUGH your D-Handle, as your method for securing it down tight to the left lateral MLW.

Using a small stow-band, or even the standard keeper (keep creeping it along the strap until it's at its last turn, to tuck your end of the strap back into it) on the last turn of cheststrap to hold it there in place is fully sufficient.

This way, there is absolutely NO QUESTION whatsoever, of you even possibly forgetting anything, or missing this on your destination-side, when you go to gear up. Because you can't get even into your rig, without 1st unwrapping the cheststrap this way, to get into it!

Adding ANYTHING extra as "securing methods" to your gear, IMHO just opens up the possibility (no matter how slight it may seem) for just having something there, to potentially forget.

Of course for those of you with pillow-handles, well - you're on your own with those. ;)

coitus non circum - Moab Stone