marktech101

What's it like?

Thanks for your input.

Does anyone else have something a little more, erm, detailed for me to put on my site?

Details to put on your site?

Why not just go skydive and tell us what it felt like?

Might be fun or something.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

I'm new here, and I've never been skydiving before. What's it like to skydive? If possible, could you detail exactly how it feels, etc? What can I expect the first time I go skydiving? Thanks so much!

What's it like?

Like nothing else in the world.

How does it feel?

Really, really cool. Also very windy.

What can you expect the first time?

Sensory overload, permagrin, and an irresistable urge to use the word "awesome".

There are no words to describe it. The closest is to ask if you have ever had a "flying dream" (NOT a falling dream).
The only way to understand it is to do it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

just in case you are too broke, too young or too something else to tandem:

it is flying on air, totally free from everything. Flying with your body and not in something (at least for the freefall part)

no sensation of falling except if you leave something relatively stationary (ballon, BASE)

amazing visuals.....exits, sunset loads, flying down to formations, tracking across the sky, inverted world, canopy openings, swoopy landings......

contains extremes of pleasure, pain, happiness and grief, and is extremely addictive and all consuming for some.

I have never ever regretted spending many years and $'s that could have gone on more "sensible" things. Pure pleasure just being in the sky.
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

Freefalling without a parachute is kind of like body surfing on the ocean and swimming underwater in extremely thin water. You then couple that freedom of movement with being out in space or way up high like a bird. Being under a parachute is kind of like flying a dive-bomber and a sail-plane with a lot more freedom. Also, dealing with fear and nerves builds confidence until you become respectfully invincible, but always aware of the potential dangers inherent to skydiving. The sport is many things to many different people, with different needs, desires, experiences, and motivations. For me, skydiving is a beautiful way to relieve stress and accept new challenges. It is also a great way to meet new people and make friends. All-in-all, it is a wonderful experience!

My first jump was a tandem. The wind noise during freefall was crazy. I found myself gasping for air, it seemed like I couldn't get a breath. There wasn't any sensation of falling. It wasn't like falling off your roof or on a roller coaster where you get the rise in your stomach. The experience was very extreme. Then all of the sudden it felt my brains were going to fly out of my toes when the canopy opened. The canopy ride was much less wild feeling but equally fun. The only way to explain it is beautiful. Every thing was much more quiet. Nothing around you like every other time you've flown. My second jump was a little different. No difficulty breathing. I had a job to do in freefall checking heading, alt, my instructors, doing practice throws. The level of adrenaline is like my first sexual experience. All in all the most awesome thing in the world.

Thanks very much, guys. Your info helped me create the first major post in my new website! Here's a link, just in case you were interested:

http://www.howitfeels.net/mediawiki/index.php?title=Skydive

Feel free to check out other sections of the site, if you like.

--marktech101

Okay, you've got Lamborghini and "Skydiving, also known as Parachuting...".

Are you going to have a page that describes what it feels like to put a 9-volt battery on your tongue?

Seems a little odd to have someone writing about "How It Feels" to skydive...who hasn't. Then again, your site does say "Life Beyond the Facts".

Good luck with that.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Seems a little odd to have someone writing about "How It Feels" to skydive...who hasn't. Then again, your site does say "Life Beyond the Facts".

Well.... if he's trying to put together a wiki that compiles "how things feel" with explanations from people with experience....

I'm inclined to give him credit for coming here to ask instead of making something up.

I think he might have a cool project going on there.
Owned by Remi #?

...a sketch from the third Monty Python's Flying Circus episode,... featuring Eric Idle and Terry Jones as two strangers who meet in a pub. Idle (playing a younger man) asks Jones (as an older gentleman) several questions about his relationship with his wife, all bearing questionable sexual innuendo ("Does your wife 'go'?", "is she a sport?", "is she interested in photography?", etc.). Jones responds in a confused, non-committal sort of way, and Idle responds with an enthusiastic "Nudge, Nudge, Say no more" - the punchline being that after a period of time, Jones demands to know what Idle is talking about. Idle asks if Jones has slept with a lady. Jones says that he has, and Idle, fascinated, asks "What's it like?"

HW

It's exactly like jumping out of an airplane (perfectly good one, flying and all), falling for a bit, then throwing a piece of nylon into the air and hoping it doesn't kill you. If it does try to kill you you have to fight it... looser does not go home usually.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Freefalling without a parachute . . .

Strongly advised that you not freefall without a parachute.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley