bennyoleary

my busted shoulder.pt 2

Hi all.I posted on here about 5 months ago with some questions about a recent shoulder dislocation i had and the risks involved with jumping again.after some sound advice i decided to have a reconstruction.3 months on and the shoulder feels fine,but i cant get my arm up far enough up to get a decent arch happening.i know its only early days yet but my surgeon and physio are to polite/unsure to tell me what sort of movement i'll ever get back.be as harsh as you'd like.i'm already planning a scuba trip instead of buying my first rig.sad but true.

I had surgery because of a dislocation as well. Took about three months to get back in the air. (luckily it happened over the winter). On the ground my arch is a little lopsided as well, but with good instructors you should have no trouble learning to fly with a bad arm.

You can get around having poor flexibility with an arm. After surgery, it should be very strong, but limited motion. Keep up doing PT stretch excersises. If you want it bad enough it shouldn't be a problem at all.

(I do want to learn to scuba too so i wouldnt blame you for trying that instead:)

BASE 1384

After I had surgery on my shoulder for a dislocation, it took about 6 months to get it back to normal. At 3 months, you have a long ways to go. I gained most of my rotation back, and for skydiving you don't need as much as a pitcher or something, that's for sure. I say keep up on the PT, and then hit the wind tunnel.

It took me two years to get a full range of motion to return.
Not strength; just motion.
If like mine; the rotator cuff was the biggie, but I also has ruptured the bursa sac and torn the center deltoid.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I had shoulder dislocation on a reserve landing... as per my friend advice (who also had the same thing happened to him), I went to a doctor specialized in sports. No surgery needed, and just with PT and building lots of muscle around that joint and I was back in the air after 6-9 months. It's better to wait a bit more than risk dislocating the thing once more, which makes things even worse.
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

Good you went for the surgery. I suffered multiple dislocations in both shoulders. One thing to consider is that strengthening the muscle through physio will help to *prevent* further spontaneous dislocations but when it does get dislocated due to e.g. an accident, it is a hell of a lot *harder* to put it 'back in'. I'm a pretty strong climber and it got to the point where it was absolutely impossible to pop it back in without anaesthesia, simply because the muscle contractions were too strong.

I had surgery on my R shoulder when I was 18 and on my L when I was 28 or something. Haven't had a single dislocation since my surgery.

One thing I regret is that I started climbing again a little too early after my second surgery. It increased my range of motion, but made my left shoulder a bit weaker. Listen to your doctor & stick to that healing time.

As for skydiving, the lack of range of motion doesn't bother me at all now. With decent surgery you'll only lose a few degrees and you probably had an unnatural range of motion to begin with.

The only trauma I have is a psychological one from frequently waking up at night screaming in pain due to yet-another-spontaneous dislocation. It kinda tended to freak out the girls. :S

It has been five and a half months since I dis-located my shoulder in a plane crash.
The first tow months I did s many pain-killing drugs that my only memory was written.
Then I started physio-therapy.
The second month of physio-therapy required spending 20 hours a week in the gym, doing light exercises.
Fortunately, I never lost much range of motion, but could not sleep on my weak side for three months.
I was able to avoid surgery.
Today I was able to do a few push-ups on the floor!
YEAH!
Now I am keen to get back in the air.
If the &^%$#@! snow would just get off the runway!

I just had shoulder surgery yesterday. I tore the labrum two weeks ago skiing.
I was lucky to have the best shoulder doc in the state and he is also the US ski teams orthopod.
He said all went well and he expects a full recovery, I hope to be back in the air by May but it looks like I may have to skip Reno this year[:/]

Onward and Upward!