sealing

Newb Stigma?

I've noticed that so many things in skydiving depend primarily on jump numbers. Jump numbers dictate what level you are licensed, what ratings you have, when you can wear a camera helmet, try CReW, and many, many others. I understand why these rules are in place and I respect the wisdom that brought them to the sport. My question is, when does the stigma of being a “Newbie” wear off in skydiving? I’m sure that a person with a billion jumps looks at someone with a few hundred jumps as a newb, but generally, when is that embarrassing label removed from a skydiver?

Blue Skies
"I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived. "

Willa Cather

That's a toughie...It depends on so many factors. What discipline you're practicing, how many jumps over how many years etc.

But even when the 'newbie sign' gets removed from your forehead, you've still got a ton of shit to learn.

Just remember: We all suck, we just gotta keep jumping and try to suck a little less each time:P

I got nuthin

Who cares about a damned label?

Just keep jumping and before you know it you will be getting to do cool stuff. Take it one jump at a time and learn as much as you can from each jump. Before you know it, you will be doing stuff that you thought was beyond you! I know this because my AFF1 was almost exactly two years ago, and I have gotten to do a lot of fun stuff.

:)

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

when does the stigma of being a “Newbie” wear off in skydiving?

I think it wears off when people feel comfortable exiting, freefalling, and flying a pattern with you. You aren't so much expected to be perfect at any of the above, but once you're competent you're not a newb any more.
Owned by Remi #?

What stigma?? IF there is one - why does it bother you?

I have 1700+ jumps. I'm an AFFI, TI, IADI, PRO rated jumper, but when it comes to my latest passion (wingsuit flying) I'm a newb. I learn from those who have far less total jumps than I do. Being a "newb " in a WS is nothing I think about. :S I just ask for advice ... listen ... and progress.

steveOrino

Stigma? Hmmmmm...maybe a different outlook is called for.

Being a young jumper is an exciting time in your career. New discoveries on nearly every jump.
New people.
New everything.

For anyone that uses the term "newbie" in a derogatory manner, tell them, and I quote, "Fuck off, skygod."
They won't get the irony but you'll get your point across.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

For anyone that uses the term "newbie" in a derogatory manner, tell them, and I quote, "Fuck off, skygod."
They won't get the irony but you'll get your point across.

***"Newbie" used in a derogatory manner is usually by jumpers with barely enough logbook pages to wipe thier butts, usually to make them feel good about themselves. Nothing wrong with being a newbie.

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

Enjoy the special thrills of your newness. Flat out nailing some 4-way exits, not funneling skydives, 4 of you flying a perfectly paraded pattern to landing. Take pride in your accomplishments and wear that newb label proudly. We (the handful of us sharing space at the time on the early part of the learning curve) even referred to ourselves as The Sky Scum, and had fun with it. (I see that moniker is picked up by multiple groups of up and coming fallers).

We just kept at it, and kept getting better in increments, and always jumped at any chance offerred to jump with and learn from the veterans. They watch you, help you, and when you are ready - bring you along on bigger and more sophisticated dives. Make it easy for them to do that by demonstrating consistent behaviors, especially safety-wise.

Heed their advice, earn their respect, be safe; and before you know it you will be one of the guys inviting the newbs to come learn and have fun.

It's all very very good.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

So, are you saying that if people would prefere better treatment, they should wait until.. more jumps?

I have 1700+ jumps. I'm an AFFI, TI, IADI, PRO rated jumper

that IS label, you know.

No, I was responding to your implication that it is bad being a "newb" I simply said being a 'newb' isn't a "stigma' it is a fact. So what if you are a newb??? Everyone was or is a newb at something or at sometime. That is a fact, not a stigma. If you feel it is a stigma then either you are insecure about yourself or you jump at a DZ with 'skygod' mentality.

BTW, AFFI, TI, IADI, PRO rated jumper isn't a 'label' they are ratings. My point was you can have them (as I do) and still be a 'newb'

steveOrino

...but generally, when is that embarrassing label removed from a skydiver?

What embarrassing label?

It's only embarrassing if you are embarrassed.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

I never found it embarrassing to be "new".
I still feel like I've got more to learn each day.

That's only because you forgot what you learned yesterday.:P

:D:D
That's getting out of the "newbie" stage and getting more and more into the "old fart" stage.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239