teds66chevy

SKYDIVING/ECONOMY

Tandems seem to be up, fun jumping seems to be down.

It sounds like a trend and with no upward mobility eventually there will be no one to go up.

The tandem masters will retire, no fun jumpers to take their place so who will go up then?

[:/]

Are you always this positive?[:/]

I don't know about fun jumping being down, but I do think tandems are a big reason for our lack of rubust growth. We (the industry) have succeeded in turning skydiving into a carnival ride.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

It sounds like a trend and with no upward mobility eventually there will be no one to go up.

The tandem masters will retire, no fun jumpers to take their place so who will go up then?

I don't know about fun jumping being down, but I do think tandems are a big reason for our lack of rubust growth. We (the industry) have succeeded in turning skydiving into a carnival ride.

I think tandems are a big growth opportunity for our sport. BUT, we need to treat them special, and not just like living parts in a commercial sausage machine. The time sport divers spend chatting with tandems before and after their first leap of faith is unpaid, but can make a big difference. The tandems see everyone else having fun and being enthusiastic, and it rubs off. Then they take a FCJ, jump lots, and hopefully go on to get gear and become long-term members of the sport. I have brought 2 tandems to our dz in the last couple of months that have continued.
'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

I think tandems are a big growth opportunity for our sport. BUT, we need to treat them special, and not just like living parts in a commercial sausage machine. The time sport divers spend chatting with tandems before and after their first leap of faith is unpaid, but can make a big difference.

Sorry, that is;

1) The Tandem Op's job.
2) None of my business.

I'm on the airplane to neither help nor hinder the tandem op. That's their business, not mine and frankly interactions with the tandem passengers beyond a "welcome to skydiving" handshake is inappropriate and even that is pushing it sometimes.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think tandems are a big growth opportunity for our sport. BUT, we need to treat them special, and not just like living parts in a commercial sausage machine. The time sport divers spend chatting with tandems before and after their first leap of faith is unpaid, but can make a big difference.

Sorry, that is;

1) The Tandem Op's job.
2) None of my business.

I'm on the airplane to neither help nor hinder the tandem op. That's their business, not mine and frankly interactions with the tandem passengers beyond a "welcome to skydiving" handshake is inappropriate and even that is pushing it sometimes.

Thats total BS! That is the problem at alot of Bigger DZ's. The up jumpers are to damn good to talk to students. At my home DZ we talk to students as if they were up jumpers. Not the same topics, but we dont ignore them! I cant count how may times i have heard Tandems say that they would jump just becuase of the enviroment. No we dont need every Tandem to become a jumper, but it does help them have interest in skydiving. In return if they liked the first jump they will be more likely to contiue. Normal has it correct!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Thats total BS! That is the problem at alot of Bigger DZ's. The up jumpers are to damn good to talk to students.

It has nothing to do with being too "damn good to talk to students" and every thing to do with inserting your personality into a time and relationship where it doesn't belong.

The last thing an instructor needs between him and his student is some other distracting person.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thats total BS! That is the problem at alot of Bigger DZ's. The up jumpers are to damn good to talk to students.

It has nothing to do with being too "damn good to talk to students" and every thing to do with inserting your personality into a time and relationship where it doesn't belong.

The last thing an instructor needs between him and his student is some other distracting person.

I didnt say i would talk to students while they are being traned. But while they are waiting in the loading area, or after jump! There are correct times to talk to students.

I kinda agree, as i've had some skydivers do inapproppriate things like make rude or sexual jokes at them/around them, get in my video when I don't want them, distract students at inappropriate times, stuff like that. But mostly our sport jumpers behave and I do feel that their talking with the students etc is cool as long as you don't say anything not so smart and stay out of the instructor's and vidiot's way. Sometimes we have tandems students who have to wait a long time due to weather or stuff, keeping them entertained seems all good to me, and sometimes the tandem student will show an interest in packing or the pics on the wall or the video that's showing, I think those people are very worth talking to :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I think tandems are a big growth opportunity for our sport. BUT, we need to treat them special, and not just like living parts in a commercial sausage machine. The time sport divers spend chatting with tandems before and after their first leap of faith is unpaid, but can make a big difference. The tandems see everyone else having fun and being enthusiastic, and it rubs off. Then they take a FCJ, jump lots, and hopefully go on to get gear and become long-term members of the sport. I have brought 2 tandems to our dz in the last couple of months that have continued.

That's what all the DZOs said about tandems when it first became the most popular first jump method. It seemed to work for a while, probably because of the general increase in volume that tandems brought to the sport (using the "more first jump students equals more experienced jumpers" theory). Unfortunately, the use of tandem to introduce people to skydiving eventually created the "tandem and a t-shirt" mentality. Very few first-timers doing tandems today see the sport as much more than a thrill ride - something they want to do for a birthday, graduation, before getting married or having kids, or to satisfy their "bucket list".

If you really want to grow the sport, it can be done.

1. Make the AFF first jump cheaper and promote the shit out of it. ($189 for a tandem?? C'mon Johnny, you can do AFF for $220!!). It is well established that people who do AFF as a first jump method have a much greater probability of going on to make a second jump (even those who say they weren't planning on it).

2. Find ways to get people to stay for the party. Whether a big shindig or just beers around the fire, there's no question that the people who stay for the party are much more likely to come back. Hell, sometimes they just spend the night!;)

If we want the sport to grow, we gotta get more people to shift from carnival ride to skydiving lessons - and give them a way to get to know the community that comes with it.

5 left and cut.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Hi chuck,

2. Find ways to get people to stay for the party. Whether a big shindig or just beers around the fire, there's no question that the people who stay for the party are much more likely to come back. Hell, sometimes they just spend the night!

give them a way to get to know the community that comes with it.

That is exactly why I made a 2nd jump,

JerryBaumchen

------------------
1. Make the AFF first jump cheaper and promote the shit out of it. ($189 for a tandem?? C'mon Johnny, you can do AFF for $220!!).
------------------

I agree 100%. It cost me about $225 to do a tandem and get a video at a DZ here in MA. First AFF jump would have cost about $325 (no video). Price is definitely an issue. I have spoken to several people who would like to jump, but can't justify the cost. I think someof these people I mentioned would get hooked, and stay in the sport, but the initial outlay of cash is a hard pill to swallow. Of course, we all know that once you get it in your blood, the cost does not seem to matter as much.

The other issue is the amount of time required to train for an AFF jump. I know there is nothing that can\should be done to reduce training time. I am just saying that from the perspective of the average person who wants to jump, but is not sold on the idea long term, an AFF jump requires a considerable investment of both money and time.

--------------------------
2. Find ways to get people to stay for the party. Whether a big shindig or just beers around the fire, there's no question that the people who stay for the party are much more likely to come back.
--------------------------

This is also a very big deal. Making connections with people is the key. A new jumper, post tandem or whatever, needs to make some friends who are skydivers. It is absolutely necessary to counter all the negative input they will get from friends and family who try to dissuade them from going further in the sport. I speak from experience.

Braz

and give them a way to get to know the community that comes with it.

That is what i am talking about. It only takes a few secounds to talk to a visitor (at our playground). Talk to them before the jump or after. We can always use more friends in our sport.

Sorry, that is;

1) The Tandem Op's job.
2) None of my business.

WHAT? A handshake is pushing it? Come on, that is a bit far, I think. I always try to make it a point to talk to tandems when I'm at the DZ. I want them to feel included and invited to come back and make a real jump. I think just talking with them is a hell of a lot different than trying to offer them advice/instruction on what to do during their tandem jump, or telling them bounce jokes! Those two things I could see being inappropriate.

Edit to add: Also I jump at a 2 182 DZ-- 1 of the 182's is dedicated for funjumpers and the other for tandems. 1 Tandem goes up at a time. Therefore they may have to spend a while on the ground on busier days. I know if I were there for a tandem and didn't know anyone I'd rather spend my 2hour wait-time with someone to talk to, rather than stand in the corner awkwardly by myself.

The other issue is the amount of time required to train for an AFF jump. I know there is nothing that can\should be done to reduce training time. I am just saying that from the perspective of the average person who wants to jump, but is not sold on the idea long term, an AFF jump requires a considerable investment of both money and time.

Making connections with people is the key. A new jumper, post tandem or whatever, needs to make some friends who are skydivers. It is absolutely necessary to counter all the negative input they will get from friends and family who try to dissuade them from going further in the sport.

If it wasn't for tandems, I'm sure I would never have taken that first 'leap of faith'. The time investment, lack of confidence, and reason for my jump (bucket list item), made a tandem my only real logical choice. Being a person who has always been a 'nervous flyer' in planes and afraid of heights, I STILL don't understand my initial obsession with making a jump ... much less my total obsession with continuing. But long before we made it to the ground, I knew jump #1 was just the beginning.

I had tried on 3 occasions to get a group of friends to go to the DZ for our first tandem. On all 3 occasions, everyone backed out. So it was either go alone or don't go, so ... I went alone. I felt like an idiot at the DZ that day because I didn't know anyone or basically anything about what I was doing. But I met some really nice jumpers who were willing to share knowledge, info, and stories with a whuffo who was both clueless and in a totally foreign environment. What started out as one of the most scary and 'lonely' days of my life, turned into one of the most enjoyable and educational experiences I've ever had.

While money is definitely an issue with me, I'm trying to save, budget, and sell some unneeded items in order to pay for my training. If I have to work a 2nd part-time job in order to pay for my 'obsession', I'm willing to do that as well.

Ever since my 1st and 2nd jumps and my decision to pursue AFF and my 'A' license this spring, I'm now referred to by many as the 'nut that jumps out of perfectly good airplanes'. I've gotten a lot of flak and ribbing from friends about continuing on in this sport, but it has far from deterred me. When they start talking about how crazy I am to do this, I just smile and think about what they're missing.

I been out of the sport for awhile, Is there still alot of active skydivers due to our econmy?

You're lying. And, your username has been disabled for selling fake Rolexes in our Classifieds. Go to Hell.

Wow. The new HH has a hot fork of his own!:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I hope I didn't overstep my self-imposed bounds. I make it a rule not to moderate DZ forums. But I also make it a rule to axe Classified abusers on sight. It was a gray area. :)

BTW, the answer to that venerable question depends entirely on the age of the lion and the length and actual temperature of the fork. In some circumstances, it might set the lion a-purring. :D

I been out of the sport for awhile, Is there still alot of active skydivers due to our econmy?

You're lying. And, your username has been disabled for selling fake Rolexes in our Classifieds. Go to Hell.

:D:D:D:D I like your style!:ph34r:;)