GeorgeOrwell

What to do

I thought this Ralph guy was the one that did not know how to check out customers. Now you UR saying SQ1 fucked people too. Who can we trust?

NO!!! Sorry if that wasnt clear. The calls I got where from customers of the other dealer.

SQ1 is up front and honest. They do ask questions and put jumpers under the correct gear.

YOU CAN TRUST SQ1!!!!!!!!!!

I went back and edited that post for clarity.

YOU CAN TRUST SQ1!!!!!!

This exact scenerio actually happened to SQ1 years ago. Some guy bought some gear using a stolen CC# and the UPS driver gave the gear to the guy outside of the building. The CC company took the money back from them (SQ1) as well.

The difference is that Kate and Tony would not have demanded the gear back or threatened to send the FBI after the next guy to buy the gear. They wrote it off as a loss with their insurance and that was that.

If the gear showed up today in the possession of someone that had nothing to do with the original fraud, they would do the right thing by the jumper and let them keep the gear.
Dom

Hi All

I'm going to send this small post out. To say thanks to all for your posts. I will be sending a larger letter later when I have some time to get it done.

I have given the reserve to my USPA director and he is in contact with the person I sold my main to.

When I know what they are going to do I will let you all know.

I do not blame the dealer in this, nor do I believe I did anything wrong. I do blame the piece of shit scum bag who purchased the rig with a stolen credit card over 4 years ago. It hurts to be blamed and called things that I'm not.

I will jump again. The money I lost is only money and I can get more of that in time. But I can not buy friendship or respect and that is what I started to lose as this was going on.

Look at the good things that have happened. First, the USPA has updated their stolen gear list so more peeps can check on gear they want to buy. Second, every person that has read this has become a better seller or buyer of gear (ex. check re-check and check again any gear you are buying).

Once again thanks to all and I will post a longer letter later.

Thanks
Eric W Blair
-------------------------------------------------- If your not jumping your not living
LEARN TO LIVE (L2L)

I worked for SQ1 for 3 years and had many, many phone calls from people that, didnt get what the paid for.

I thought this Ralph guy was the one that did not know how to check out customers. Now you UR saying SQ1 fucked people too. Who can we trust?

That Not what he had said . You took what he said out of contents. READ AGAIN!!!
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Hi Scott,

Both you & I are long-time friends of Ralph. That is why I am staying out of this one.

IMO, your postings are unusually biased and you should state as such.

I bought my first piece of parachute gear from Ralph in 1964 and I bought my last new piece of parachute gear from him about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I have bought a fair amount of gear from him over the years.

I would buy from him tomorrow if I was looking for something.

I consider anything that I might post to be biased and will not do so,

JerryBaumchen

PS) For the record: Ralph's place is only about 45 minutes from me. I occasionally stop by just to chit-chat.

...I have given the reserve to my USPA director and he is in contact with the person I sold my main to.

When I know what they are going to do I will let you all know.....
Thanks
Eric W Blair

As noted very early in this thread, Eric is a stand up guy who will do(and now has done) the right thing.

Eric, please post an address so I can send you a check to help you buy some new gear? You make us proud brother! You're an inspiration and I hope my son (who started jumping this summer) is reading this thread. Your honesty and integrety is just one reason I love jumpen camera for you guys.

As for Ralph, I bought some gear from you many, many years ago. Many people speak highly of you and your business practices. Please remember, Actions speak louder than words! When you are dealing with Goz to get your gear back, remember that Eric is also a victom in this.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

...I have given the reserve to my USPA director and he is in contact with the person I sold my main to.

When I know what they are going to do I will let you all know.....
Thanks
Eric W Blair

As noted very early in this thread, Eric is a stand up guy who will do(and now has done) the right thing.

Eric, please post an address so I can send you a check to help you buy some new gear? You make us proud brother! You're an inspiration and I hope my son (who started jumping this summer) is reading this thread. Your honesty and integrety is just one reason I love jumpen camera for you guys.

As for Ralph, I bought some gear from you many, many years ago. Many people speak highly of you and your business practices. Please remember, Actions speak louder than words! When you are dealing with Goz to get your gear back, remember that Eric is also a victom in this.

So you are saying he gave it back??

So you are saying he gave it back??

I can't figure out where you got that idea...

These lines right here

Eric, please post an address so I can send you a check to help you buy some new gear? You make us proud brother!

Mainly the and now has done!!!

Yes I gave the USPA the reserve that is in question With the instructions to do what they think is correct in this matter.

As for the money I'm not doing this to get money. All I can hope in this matter is someone out there will not make the same mistake or get trapped in to making the same mistake(but if you want to buy me a beer at the fire or bar I will let you do that.) I will go and buy a new cypress and reserve and main if I have to but I will jump and if I'm ever at your dz and you hear the name Eric Blair say hi and sorry for your gear and then finish with so do you want do a jump

Thanks all
Eric Blair
-------------------------------------------------- If your not jumping your not living
LEARN TO LIVE (L2L)

I worked for SQ1 for 3 years and had many, many phone calls from people that, didnt get what the paid for.

That Not what he had said . You took what he said out of contents. READ AGAIN!!!

Yes it was what he said. He changed it later. Then added another post to say that SQ1 would never do this crap the Ralph guy is doing. Poor Eric made another stupid move by returning the rest of the equipment. Stupid is as stupid does. I'm buying from SQ1, not Ralph. I gonna sell my gear now and then list it as stolen a year later.

Yes I gave the USPA the reserve that is in question With the instructions to do what they think is correct in this matter.

As for the money I'm not doing this to get money. All I can hope in this matter is someone out there will not make the same mistake or get trapped in to making the same mistake(but if you want to buy me a beer at the fire or bar I will let you do that.) I will go and buy a new cypress and reserve and main if I have to but I will jump and if I'm ever at your dz and you hear the name Eric Blair say hi and sorry for your gear and then finish with so do you want do a jump

Thanks all
Eric Blair

What a world of difference in the attitude and approach of the two gentlemen involved in this sorry affair.....:(:(:(
'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

Dude you have been way too honest about this. You acted in good faith throughout.
Looks like the gear seller fucked up here, and to threaten you with the FBI four years later for his mistake is disgraceful, especially as four year old gear is worth nothing to him and everything to you. I would be tempted to name the dealer, if he stands by his actions he should not mind.
Some times in business you make a mistake and get stung for it, its happened to me but you have to make allowances for this and learn to be careful in who you give credit to and to follow procedure.
I hope you get back in the air soon bro

I'm buying from SQ1, not Ralph. I gonna sell my gear now and then list it as stolen a year later.

Which brings us ONCE AGAIN to the question of fraud on the stolen gear list.

A great deal of the trouble that this thread is all about would have been avoided if we had better procedures in place to be sure that the stolen gear is handled properly.

Even without deliberate fraud, there is the matter of stale information and the effects thereof.

Suppose a stolen CYPRES is recovered through some means, but the list is not purged properly. Then the CYPRES is sold. Still later, the CYPRES is sent to SSK and they find it on the (stale) stolen gear list, and they send it to the original victim of the theft.

What a mess. Yes, not too difficult to remedy if everybody is honest, but a bitch if that's not the case.

Again, I suggest that the authorities be involved in these matters and that the authorities are listed as the contacts when suspected stolen gear is discovered.

Do YOU want to send gear to the contact on the list just because HE says it is stolen?

Is there any reason not to insist that the authorities are involved when grand theft is the crime?

Is there any reason why we shouldn't want to fix this right away?

Couldn't we prevent problems and ensure equitable resolutions if we handled the lists better?

Eric, please post an address so I can send you a check to help you buy some new gear? You make us proud brother!

Sounds like the serial number on the main did not match the ones listed by the dealer??? So, the dealer suggested that they (Eric or somebody?) changed the serial panel. This story just keeps getting better.

I asked Eric for his address so I could send him a check, he told me that wouldn’t be necessary. See, this guy is more concerned about doing the right thing than he is about himself. What he’s most upset about, is the way this dealer treated him.

In an attempt to find a good way to help Eric replace his gear, I talked to the USPA NC Regional Director, John Goswitz. John has agreed to accept any donations on Eric’s behalf which will be used to help him replace his AAD and Reserve. Please make checks payable to Eric Blair and send them to:

Eric Blair
c.o. John Goswitz
27 Maple Lane
Little Canada, MN 55117

USPA North Central Regional Director
(651) 214-7345
(413) 751-2367 (fax)
[email protected]

My check is already addressed and on its way.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Thanks for doing this! I put 50 in the mail. He is a good man for doing what he did. Better to be rid of the BS issues! If either of you make it to SD Dallas let me know and beer and first jump is on me! BTW I do think the dealer is a victom also, but did not make the best of the situation at hand. I have already got 2 new rigs and surelly will buy plenty in the future. Be reasured that i will never by from said dealer! Best to you Eric!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I'm not going to read through 145 (and counting) posts. You're 1 of many of our friends who come on here seeking medical or legal advice from laypersons on a skydivers' website.

For legal advice, you need to speak to an attorney (believe it or not); and at this point, since the issue is being forced, you need to do so immediately.

FWIW, there is a concept, which 1 person up-thread did mention, called "bona fide purchaser for value." Here's a quickie thumbnail sketch of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bona_fide_purchaser

Whether this concept applies to a particular situation depends upon the specific facts, and the jurisdiction. There is no one-size-fits-all answer. You need to speak to an attorney who practices in your state. The only definite thing I will tell you is not to take legal advice about this from ANYONE who is not an attorney. No exceptions.

I'm not going to read through 145 (and counting) posts. You're 1 of many of our friends who come on here seeking medical or legal advice from laypersons on a skydivers' website.

For legal advice, you need to speak to an attorney (believe it or not); and at this point, since the issue is being forced, you need to do so immediately.

FWIW, there is a concept, which 1 person up-thread did mention, called "bona fide purchaser for value." Here's a quickie thumbnail sketch of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bona_fide_purchaser

Whether this concept applies to a particular situation depends upon the specific facts, and the jurisdiction. There is no one-size-fits-all answer. You need to speak to an attorney who practices in your state. The only definite thing I will tell you is not to take legal advice about this from ANYONE who is not an attorney. No exceptions.

Old news its done. Just trying to get a fellow skydiver back in the air at this point. Call John above and donate. Every dollar counts. I think its a good cause and the Sky Gods will repay you 10 fold.

Is there a paypal account? I do everything online and can't seem to find where I hid my checkbook.

If anyone here can take paypal and is going to kick in please pm me so I can also. ( I'll pay the paypal fee)
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Here I sit trying to think what to say in this post. For starters I feel proud to be a part of skydiving and all it's fun and glory. But one lesson I have learned is the kindness of you all. I know in the past I paid for a jump or two for people low in the cash fund. But this was for people I knew. I will always remember this as the greatest gift I have received and I promise to pay this forward time and time again. I never started this post to get money just to ask what I should do. Please if you send anything send me a address and home dz I would like to thank you personally

Thanks All
Blue Skies and soft landings
Eric W Blair

Sorry for all the bad spelling
LEARN TO LIVE (L2L)