GLIDEANGLE

TWO YEARS... I DIDN'T GET HERE ALONE!!!

I did my first AFF jump exactly two years ago (yes, I checked my log book).

[URL http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3464203#3464203] With the recent forum discussion about “no one wants to jump with a newbie”, [/URL] I thought that publishing my story might show that there are PLENTY of folks who will jump with newbies here in North Texas @ Skydive Dallas.

Warning… I am certain that I will fail to mention some jumpers who helped me a lot… Please forgive me!

Unlike the “nobody wants to jump” poster… I am not young, I am not female, and I am ABSOLUTELY not attractive (especially with my special “birth control glasses” I wear when jumping). This is only relevant because I got lots of jumps despite being a middle aged, balding, overweight guy.

In the beginning, it was the instructors and coaches who provided my guidance. Yes, they were paid for their effort. However, the quantity of time and effort they spent was far more than what I paid for. In particular, one coach (Jennie) saw me through a rough period in my jumping skills. She never gave up, worked long and hard… and got me beyond my scary skill trouble.

I was at about 30 jumps and still really struggling to get the accuracy I needed to earn my A-license. Rob Laidlaw was visiting our DZ. When he learned of my situation… he spent lots of time that day briefing and debriefing each jump to help be get the accuracy I needed. Rob never asked me for a dime. I don’t know the details of his economic relationship with the DZ, but it would have been very easy for him to say… “Just keep working on it, you will get it with time.” But he didn’t.

I did my A-license check dive on jump #40 on a Saturday at the end of the jumping day. I distributed my case of beer that evening. The very next day I had no opportunity to be a “solitary-low-time-jumper”. I got pulled into FIVE jumps that day… a 7 way, a 5 way, a 4 way, an 8 way (SCR!), and a 6 way. None of these folks hesitated to risk a jump on the new guy… I had a great time and every time I apologized for my errors I was gently told to “stuff a sock in it” (in not so many words). It was clear that my fellow jumpers knew damned well that I needed to be taken care of… I got all the easy slots and PLENTY of slack for my errors.

Next the big figures in my growth as a new jumper were the load organizers. While there are many, Brett and Dennis played key roles for me. Yes, I figure that the load organizers have some sort of compensation for their work, but once again, the volume of time and the sincere caring attention they gave me and my low-time peers was remarkable.

When four of us low timers had the temerity to assemble a novice 4-way RW team, the amount of support and coaching we got for the price of beer was astonishing. Unfortunately that team fell apart. However, I remember one jump very clearly. There were only three of us at the DZ on this day. A very experienced 4-way competitor offered to join us to make our group 4 for the next jump. He led a very detailed dirt dive for us, but we soon discovered that there were not enough jumpers to make the load go. The experienced jumper wandered off for a few minutes and suddenly the load was back on the clock. When we boarded the plane the rest of the story became clear… he had gone to manifest and paid for the empty slot to make the load go. Yes, he paid nearly $50 (two slots) to jump with three novices. It was a great jump.

As that team fell apart, another formed and I joined two other low-time jumpers and the previously mentioned 4-way competitor along with an experienced camera jumper to form a 4 way RW team. Three of us had only about 100 jumps each, the others had thousands. The sacrifices that the two experienced jumpers made for this team were numerous. They stayed on the ground when the wind was too much for us novices. They put up with our astonishingly bad jumping for the first few months. They did their best to bring us along. Of course, we novices suffered too. Why did no one warn us that our team captain / coach LOVES the creepers? My god… we spent what seemed like WEEKS on the damned creepers... and it paid off! We never got great… but in one season we got a WHOLE lot better. Thank you Roland and Sean!!!

Last spring I wanted to try CReW so I drove to Salado TX and got free coaching jumps from both Walt Appel and Wendy Faulkner. To get free coaching from a jumper of Wendy’s experience was amazing. Can you say “DOWNPLANE”? Once again… note that experienced jumpers were willing to jump with me, a novice.

Remember the story of the recent death of a novice wingsuit jumper who didn’t have his leg straps on? About a month ago I made my third wingsuit jump. I had done two jumps at another DZ, but this jump was my first at my home DZ. I swear that at least three folks asked me about my leg straps before I even left the hanger. Between the boarding area and the plane another couple of people asked me too. My point is that these folks had NO obligation to be nosy…but they cared enough to ask a simple but very important question of a novice wingsuit jumper. (This jump was BEFORE the fatal jump mentioned above.) Thanks to all.

There were LOT and LOTS of other folks who helped along the way… and I apologize for omitting them. Not all the help came from jumping. The amount of help and guidance that I have gotten from folks on the ground has been immense. For example, Laura (my packer) has been invaluable in so many ways. Jeff, Lee, and Mark introduced me to rigging. Ron helped me understand some of the politics both inside the DZ, and within this sport.

I have one last story. About halfway through our 4 way team’s season, there was a non-team weekend when we three novices were at the DZ, but our experienced teammates were not. We wanted to jump together, but needed a fourth jumper. There was a novice jumper visiting our DZ that day. We invited him to jump with us. As we dirt dived the jump I noticed something… the three of us knew one or two things about RW and were able to plan this jump and brief this newer guy without difficulty. The jump went well (not SUPER, just well). Nobody got too low or too far out. We turned about 7 points (in 60 sec). After landing I walked over to our guest and asked “Did you have fun?” His reply was an excited exclamation “I have never turned so many points!” He was grinning from ear to ear. This story is important to me because it is the beginning of the circle starting again. Others gave to us….we had a chance to give to someone a few jumps behind us.

If my long narrative describes a skydiving culture that you don’t recognize… [BLUE]If you are a novice, jump someplace else.[/BLUE] [RED]If you are experienced, change the culture.[/RED]

Again, thanks to all (named and un-named) who helped me in the last two years.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

The biggest key is attitude.

It doesn't matter if your a hot chick or a middle aged bald guy, if you have the right attitude there will be people wanting to jump with you and help you learn. If you don't have the right attitude you'll find a lot of solos.

I've observed this at many DZs. There's always people that want to jump with new jumpers, at every DZ I've traveled to and jumped at.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

...or a middle aged bald guy

>:(

Why are you so mad. Middle aged was mentioned. That doesn't include you.

Ohhhhh, you're pissed about the bald comment.:P

Or read it as middle ages :P
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Sooo.... When are you going to start learning to freefly???

He doesn’t have enough facial piercings or tattoos to freefly. So we’re keeping him in the RW section of the DZ. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Jim,

As a rule people get back what they put out, that is why you receive so many good things from the community. Keep it up.

Blue Skies,
Ron

PS: Politics in skydiving? I’ve never heard of such a thing! ;)

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP