tbrown

"Do a Search" is BULLSHIT

That would imply that, to skydivers, boobies are only 31 times as important as the failure of the 45 degree rule.

The ratio is most likely a whole lot greater on the internet as a whole.

Overall, I'd say that's a pretty good example :):P

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It also implies that this search generates only eight times as many responses than boobies....

The boobies are taking over the world - it's a conspiracy I tell you!!!!!
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

wmw999: Sometimes the words that someone uses to search on are not the ones that make sense to anyone else, particularly if you're new to the sport or English isn't the first language. They don't automatically know the most commonly used terms for some things.

In addition to that, the number of responses can be overwhelming, with thousands of hits, and an information-seeker doesn't know where to begin to sort through it all to find the nuggets of info they need.

Maybe a search function could be created that, rather than giving every individual message containing a phrase, it would instead just give a list of threads containing the phrase. That would make the results more limited, encouraging them to continue there with their research, and to get the info they need in context with the whole discussion.

Andy9o8: Well, everything is relative. Your link to the 45 degree rule results in 628 posts to date.

Yes, but those 628 posts come mostly from just about 4 threads. So if you were looking for info on that subject, would you rather see a list of 628 relevant items, or just four? I think seeing only four is going to increase the odds that the person will actually take the time to read and learn from them.

+1

Agreed "do a search" is a waste of bandwidth. Its like saying I know the answer and if you need to ask you are an idiot.

But if the answer takes pages of posts to explain, why should we explain over and over again?

I give the "45 degree rule" as an example. DO A SEARCH to see what I mean.

Now, it would be good manners to give a link to the thread instead of just saying "do a search".

Link to all 625 posts on the topic. No need for any more!

Well, everything is relative. Your link to the 45 degree rule results in 628 posts to date.
Doing a search for Boobies garners 19,768 posts. And counting.

If you need to search for boobies on DZ.COM you must be seriously deficient in some respect.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So before asking for the fifteenthbillon freaking time what gravity is, houzabout taking a little initiative and taking ten freaking minutes of your time and conduct a simple search?

How about magnetism?

Can someone explain that to me?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

didnt read the whole thread

do a search responce is bullshit but so are repetitive forums

there is a simple solution and that is the proper utilisation of the sticky feature which imo is the responsibility of the forum in questions moderators. no having stickies in general discussion is a waste of a massive amount of information that has been passed on on this forum

It's best to be polite, especially with newbies. Nobody likes to be told that they are asking a stupid question. There's no such thing as a stupid question, right? ;-) So why imply to someone that they are being stupid for asking a good question? That's how "do a search" comes off to people who tend to get easily annoyed (even some skydivers!). It's better to just be polite, answer the question briefly - if possible - and include a reference to the old thread or the FAQ.

There have been some good points made along with good counterpoints also, but the fact remains most of us on here are here basically for the interaction with other like souls. You google till you retire or die, but its more fun to hang around on the website, no ?

Sometimes the best post is the absence of a post, internet silence. C'Mon, lets spread the love and be like the good skydivers we are....;)B|:D:ph34r: Roger-Zulu-Foxtrot-Over and out !!

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

It's best to be polite, especially with newbies. Nobody likes to be told that they are asking a stupid question. There's no such thing as a stupid question, right? ;-) So why imply to someone that they are being stupid for asking a good question? That's how "do a search" comes off to people who tend to get easily annoyed (even some skydivers!). It's better to just be polite, answer the question briefly - if possible - and include a reference to the old thread or the FAQ.

I agree, if "Do a search" is the only answer given, it's a little arrogant. "Do a search" linked to good search terms is a better answer, and still yet, a slight answer with a SEARCH inserted is the best yet. But even those tend to raise the ire of some people. They want the entire novel re-written for them. Case in point? I recently copy/pasted info from the READ ME file, it drectly and specifically answered the question, but that wasn't what the OP wanted. Still don't quite know what he wanted. The README had it answered, plainly and clearly.
I think part of their frustration is that they didn't think to look there in the first place. I know I've asked a few redundant questions.:P

Talk about timing... there is a new RSL thread.
:D:D

Talk about timing... there is a new RSL thread.
:D:D

Yeah. I noticed ;)

The way those RSL threads go, it might not be so bad to start fresh occassionally.:P

i just think that read the stickies is far better than do a search and you will know straight away if the answer is in the stickies so the thread can be closed immedietely

one to three well put together sticky posts at the top with links to other threads were well formed debate has taken place on the subjects would benefit everyone not just the noobs