"Do a Search" is BULLSHIT

Did it ever occur to this SKYGOD
you are a SKYGOD
I hate fucking Skygods

then fuck someone else...

nobody was holding a gun to his head forcing him to reply
this high and holy website
question bothers your hyperinflated ego, then simply pass it by

then why not follow your own advice, log off and leave us good for nothing self richegous "skygods" on this "high and holy" website to bask in our indignation?

one particularly obnoxious

What I think is obnoxious is people bitching about the FREE service being provided here that offers a plethora of advice and good teaching, which also in turn offers the exact opposite.
Well, that, and people not making searches...

I expect ALL replies to be posted in public

If you want all your expectations to be met, then start your own fucking website where you can be the exalted king and tell everyone how to act and think in your monarchical view of life.

Skygod my ass...

Oh yeah - :S

I'm too lazy to look...what's a freakin' SKYGOD?! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

+1

Agreed "do a search" is a waste of bandwidth. Its like saying I know the answer and if you need to ask you are an idiot.

But if the answer takes pages of posts to explain, why should we explain over and over again?

I give the "45 degree rule" as an example. DO A SEARCH to see what I mean.

Now, it would be good manners to give a link to the thread instead of just saying "do a search".

Link to all 625 posts on the topic. No need for any more!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Would it really hurt anyone who gives a crap about our sport to put his/her arrogance as a Skygod aside for a minute to politely answer the person's question and go on to politely offer advice that in the search function, there is a vast amount of info that would be helpful? .

Sometimes the answer takes 10,000 words and it already exists in the archives.

To use my previous example, it takes less time to search for "45 degree rule" than it does to post a question asking about the 45 degree rule.

Not searching first is, IMO, lazy.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Would it really hurt anyone who gives a crap about our sport to put his/her arrogance as a Skygod aside for a minute to politely answer the person's question and go on to politely offer advice that in the search function, there is a vast amount of info that would be helpful? .

Sometimes the answer takes 10,000 words and it already exists in the archives.

To use my previous example, it takes less time to search for "45 degree rule" than it does to post a question asking about the 45 degree rule.

Not searching first is, IMO, lazy.

I was mainly pointing out the rudeness that occurs when people answer in the way that was descrbed here. Not so much trying to slam anyone for directing someone to the search function. I have, more than once directed someone to the search results, but I did it in a polite manner. I just simply explained that it would take too much typing and endless posting or PMing, so do a search for whatever the subject of their question was in keyword form and I'll suggest some keywords to use.
I look at it this way, The feet you step on today very well could be attached to the ass you will be kissing tomorrow.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

it takes less time to search for "45 degree rule" than it does to post a question asking about the 45 degree rule.

Understood, but you actually need to know what to search for. Try searching for "exit timing" and see how relevant the answers to the question of how much time to leave between groups. Newbies don't always know the lingo or what to search for.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

it takes less time to search for "45 degree rule" than it does to post a question asking about the 45 degree rule.

Understood, but you actually need to know what to search for. Try searching for "exit timing" and see how relevant the answers to the question of how much time to leave between groups. Newbies don't always know the lingo or what to search for.

Then why is "45 degree rule" or "exit sep" so often in the subject box?

BTW:
Forums: Search Results
Your search for "exit timing" returned 367 results in 0.735s.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I typed up a very long reply but I decided to delete it....

Now, I'll type it up again. The essence of my original response was.

I can understand how you would think it's dickish to type "do a search" but in some cases it is warranted.

I used to frequent the Photography and Video (P&V) forum often.

I am no authority on the subject but I do have some info to offer. Especially to newbies.

In the beginning I would type up pages and pages of info and I would Link them all with references and clickies. when someone asked the smae question I would link them back to those pages etc.

I started reminding people about the search function while replying at the same time. but there came a time where it seemed like a game to try to get the same topic in as many threads as possible.
Many of the P&V posters will remember that.

You have to remember MOST OF THESE QUESTIONS WERE NOT ABOUT SAFETY. Even now,though, the P&V forum is NOT heavily traveled. It takes a while for a new thread to hit the 2nd page.

When you get a question like "which camera should I buy?" with no other info such as price, desired quality, jump experience, cost, weight etc Its posted due to laziness.

So, you reply nicely by asking those questions and refering them to the search function.

Then you get 6 more of the same threads in the same week. Well, the answers tend to be a little more snippy and less mentoring.

THE ANSWERS WERE ON THE VERY SAME PAGE! OFTEN TIMES IN MULITPLE THREADS.

If you think telling someone to "do a search" for that reason makes someone a skygod then I will leave you to your opinion and politely disagree with it.

The top questions in the P&V forum that get the "do a search" reply are:

"What camera settings should I use?"
Currently there is a new thread asking the same question. But the question wasn't posted with such laziness. The op gave you info about gear, his understanding of it and then opened a question/debate.It was an honset question. It is being discussed even though its the same old question.

But when someone asks a quesiton like this You'd expect the kind of reaction that the OP received. read the whole thread the OP was too lazy to look down a few posts and see there was already a discussion going on.[:/]

My photos

My Videos

Heh heh ... you do know how to get people's juices flowing. Maybe shoulda named this thread, "Sockin' it to Skygods." :D:D

Or perhaps: Why are people so "LAZY"?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Heh heh ... you do know how to get people's juices flowing. Maybe shoulda named this thread, "Sockin' it to Skygods." :D:D

Or perhaps: Why are people so "LAZY"?

No, it was a humorous (I hope) reference to Tom's thread in SC entitled "Sockin' it to Hamas", which got almost 8,000 views and almost 800 posts, most of them very hi-spirited. A post-whore's inside baseball, you see.

reference to Tom's thread in SC entitled

Who is Tom?
What is SC?
A thread??????????
entitled?????????????????????????????????

Maybe I'll just make a search...
Mykel AFF-I10

>

I agree that a post which entire contents are "do a search" just doesn't cut it - when aimed at newbies.

They just don't know any better.

In addition to that, suppose I'm a curious guy and want to find out what really happened on Lutz's jump:
scott lutz
Well, good luck with that

scott lutz what really happened
Oh.
Let's try again lutz what happened
there's my info - a post by NickDG :)I was curious I lacked a life/decent job - I found the info eventually.
Now I remembered which post I needed and I thought that Nick made it, so it took me only about twenty seconds to locate it.

So basically I think that if you MUST tell someone to do a search, do it the way Aggiedave did - tell the newbie that they should use the search function - but include a link to the relevant thread or post or answer the question.

Or shut the fuck up. The choice is yours.:P

edited to fix one of the links

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

A search would indicate the following... Cypres vs. Vigil

It gives them an answer and shows them that "search" is their friend.

This is probably the best response in this thread. It encourages continued use of the search function, as well providing some guidance in *how* to search for threads on the requested topic.

Baksteen's post illustrates the issue, BIGUN's demonstrates a solution.
Brian

How many threads should be started for the SAME question just to get the SAME answer?

And a problem with that is that people get so tired of repeating the same good advice that has already been given in the past, that they eventually just quit giving it. And that leaves the question unanswered, so we then have an uninformed new guy, who now may be dangerous to himself and others in the sky, because we're tired of telling people the same thing over and over again.

So we have a conflict between new guys needing valuable information, and old guys getting tired of saying the same thing repeatedly.

That brings me back to this item, in the "Suggestions" forum:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3003529;#3003529

Put this into effect, and then we don't have to say "do a search", nor do we have to keep repeating ourselves. We can just point them to the catalog list of informative topics, and let them go off and do their research from there.

I believe there is a sticky posted by Sangiro marked Forum rules and policies. I will post a little of it below since it appears that you disagree with the rationale.

New to Dropzone.com? Read this first.

Use existing threads on your topic to continue a discussion rather than starting a new one. Posts that are repetitive in nature (i.e. Dead Horses) may be removed or locked at the discretion of the moderators.

I absolutely agree that existing threads should be used first before starting a new one. I also believe that new users should learn sooner versus later how to use the search function. This isn't an effort to put down a new user but to help point them to the information that has been posted before in detail.

How many threads should be started for the SAME question just to get the SAME answer? Put another way is it important for new users to have the courtesy to do a search first. Why would we have a search function on this site if it wasn't an effort to have people use it in order to avoid redundancy?

I have never responded with "Do a search" but I continue to shake my head at people who can't seem to grasp the concept.

I understand rules are in place for a reason, blah blah blah, but do the forum owners pay per thread or something? Why does it bother you if someone posts a question that has been asked? Aren't there more important things in life than this to get upset about? Just skip over the stuff that doesn't interest you, move on to the stuff that does, and when you are done, find something else to do that takes up the time slot you previously reserved for dismissing newbies who ask questions that are "beneath you".
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

I've been lurking in forums since I was a FidoNet SysOp B| Way before the internet, and I have to say that one of the most entertaining aspects of all of this is reading discussions between those who are easily annoyed and those who are excessively annoying. :P

That is a great reply.

With your background, can you give us YOUR stance on the situation ?

Dead on. I mean...this is fucking Dramazone.com where EVERYTHING has been rehashed and new threads are started on subjects that have had been threaded over and over. If someone wants to ask the question AGAIN and start and new thread...then add a response like

"You can further research this question through previous threads as well. With that being said..."

I've been lurking in forums since I was a FidoNet SysOp B| Way before the internet, and I have to say that one of the most entertaining aspects of all of this is reading discussions between those who are easily annoyed and those who are excessively annoying. :P

That is a great reply.

With your background, can you give us YOUR stance on the situation ?

I did.

Now, it would be good manners to give a link to the thread instead of just saying "do a search".

Another option, particularly if it looks like it's someone new to dz.com or skydiving, is to mention the search function, and suggest a argument that's guaranteed to have the kind of results the asker is looking for.

That way you kill two birds with one stone -- he has his questions answered, and at least one person more knows how to use the search function.

Sometimes the words that someone uses to search on are not the ones that make sense to anyone else, particularly if you're new to the sport or English isn't the first language. They don't automatically know the most commonly used terms for some things.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

+1

Agreed "do a search" is a waste of bandwidth. Its like saying I know the answer and if you need to ask you are an idiot.

But if the answer takes pages of posts to explain, why should we explain over and over again?

I give the "45 degree rule" as an example. DO A SEARCH to see what I mean.

Link to all 625 posts on the topic. No need for any more!

Well, everything is relative. Your link to the 45 degree rule results in 628 posts to date.
Doing a search for Boobies garners 19,768 posts. And counting.