WI-Fly

How many jumps before a wingsuit or skysurfing....

If the problem is that there is no Skysurf forum, then he could have went to the General Skydiving Discussions forum and asked the skysurf question there. I wouldn't go to the Canopy Relative Work forum and ask "What is the 4 way FS dive pool?" In addition to this small skysurf dilemma, I believe we have covered the "how many jumps do you need to fly a wingsuit" question more than enough. It would be greatly appreciated if people either read the FAQ at the top of the forum, or did a search of the forum before they ask that question. It gets kind of old after being asked 300 times. Fuck.

technically your buddy is correct about skysurfing. (Well, if what he means by basic skydiving course is getting your A license) At least in the regards to there not being a specific number of jumps to learn to skysurf since it is lumped into freeflying according to the USPA

BUT it does say you must become proficient at sit-flying before you do any stand-up type freeflying (i.e. skysurfing)

First off, that is much easier said then done.

And second, it is a necessary to become a good bellyflyer before concentrating too much on freeflying. There are a number of reasons but I wont bother listing them since they are all in the SIM.

Personally, I still have a ton to learn about both disciplines, I like doing belly RW but I jump quite a bit during the week and if there are no belly jumpers I normally do a solo (or 2 way with an experienced freeflyer) sitfly.

So there is no magic number but considering what a jumper needs to know before skysurfing I would think that for most jumpers it would be much higher than 200 skydives.
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

My buddy is telling me that right after a basic skydive course you can skysurf. I thought it was like 200 jumps for skysurfing and 500 for a wingsuit....

Legally, the FAA doesn't care what you do as long as you're using certified equipment.

The USPA is a little more restrictive, requiring you to complete a seven level student program before jumping without an instructor.

Beyond that point you're allowed to do lots of things which are likely to kill you without enough prior training and experience just like the motorcycle dealer will sell anyone with $12,000 a 400 pound bike with more horsepower than entry level German sports sedan and ski patrol won't keep a rank beginner off double black diamond slopes with signs warning of cliff bands ahead.

Some drop zone operators take that into consideration. "You're not doing THAT at my dropzone." Some don't.

Both activities require you to be comfortable enough with just skydiving that the added emergency procedures and restrictions (flying a wingsuit is a lot like skydiving in a straight jacket, and having your feet stuck together on a skyboard is not good for mobility) aren't a big deal.

That point is generally accepted to be at 200 skydives.

With the sky-board, you also need to be capable of head-up flight with complete control in all three axis. Left and right 360 degree turns, cartwheels in both directions, front and back flips ending in the same position you started with, and able to get back to a sit/stand from any orientation.