bigbearfng

altimeters-checked baggage or carry on?

Just curious what you have done-checked or carry on for neptune and regular altimeters. Problems/reasons? Thanks.
And yes already found that I need to carry on all my rechargable camera batteries.
Next months vacation will be the first time flying in a long time that it wasn't for work-so I actually have to go thru screening and metal detectors this time!

The electronic type altimeters might activate during flight.
It won't damage anything, but it may help to run your batteries down. I turn off my electronic alti's when I fly, and I normally check my electronic alti.

Carry them on, check them, whatever, it's upto you.
If they find it at the security checkpoint, it's your altimeter, a fragile thing that you want to keep safe.
I don't bring it up unless they ask about it.

I find it rather interesting to take my analog alti with me in my carry-on. It's kind of neat to see the pressure change in the plane. They typically pressurize the planes I've flown on to about 5000 feet.

Had a friend that had her neptune taken out of her checked baggage back in 2006. Since then I always put my altimeters in my carry on luggage.

I wonder how often that kind of shit happens? My wife's CD/Walkman got lifted out of her checked bag about 10 years ago. What's to stop them? What are the chances someone living hundreds or thousands of miles away can even effectively press the issue. We called the airline and they were totally flippant about even making note of the theft.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I wonder how often that kind of shit happens?

Unfortunately very often. The baggage handlers are underpaid and undersupervised. Stuff gets clipped all the time. They have even busted tons of TSA baggage screeners that are allowed to open every bag. I try to keep small and expensive things with me on carry-on.

I wonder how often that kind of shit happens?

Unfortunately very often. The baggage handlers are underpaid and undersupervised. Stuff gets clipped all the time. They have even busted tons of TSA baggage screeners that are allowed to open every bag. I try to keep small and expensive things with me on carry-on.

I've never had any friends get something lifted from a checked bag, even so, I try to keep my small and valuable things in my carry-on

Didn't some royal get a bunch of diamonds taken from a checked bag in the 90's? I think the theft happened in new york.

Lol, You got to love how they can be that organised when it comes to theft, but cant manage to unload your baggage in time. I was waiting for over an hour at baggage reclaim at Stansted Airport the other month. The instructions I got with my Alti-2 Galaxy said its accurate upto 18,000ft and can go higher than this without being damaged. Dont know if this goes for all analogs.
Live hard, Live fast, Die broke.
D.S. 118118

My pro-trak cover got cracked one time when I left it in my helmet and checked it through. L&B replaced the whole pro-trak for free (they ROCK), but from now on I will carry both my visual and analog alti's on.

And on another note, I once had 2 pocket knifes that I HAD to put in my check bag stolen out of there when I was going on a camping trip. The also removed my waterproof matches, which I later found out I should have carried on. :S I was pretty pissed about the knifes. Bottom line...I wouldn't check ANYTHING valuable.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

The instructions I got with my Alti-2 Galaxy said its accurate upto 18,000ft and can go higher than this without being damaged. Dont know if this goes for all analogs.

The baggage compartment is pressurized the same as the passenger compartment. The cabin altitude should never exceed ~8K. Be hell for the pets in the baggage compartment if they didn't pressurize. :D

Sometimes it's hell in the cabin and it's pressurized. Breathing emissions from seat 3D isn't ever pleasant, and the pressure just allows it to linger longer.
I carry my altis on the plane with me. It's always fun putting the velcro on the seat in front of me so I can watch it count up. Occasionally I'll tell a story like "The plane must be struggling with weight, because look how low we're flying." Once I explained that it was a Bayesian watch (whatever the hell that means) and it only has one hand. People will nod and say "OK, that makes sense..." :P
They're small. They're fun, and they allow me to get my logbook caught up when I' flying.
In cabin for me. Always,.

My altimeter often attracts attention from TSA. I've watched the screeners open my suitcase pull out the Altimaster II and have a conference while the case with a "Parachute" slides by.;)

I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

Like this one,

JerryBaumchen

WTF guy smoking in the backround?!:D

what guy in the background?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message