pilotdave

Low pack volume mains

So it looks like PD just announced a new canopy, the Pulse. Looks like a semi elliptical hybrid using a combination of ZP and PD's low pack volume fabric used on the Optimum reserves (at least as best as I can tell).

Any thoughts on this? I understand hybrids, and I understand why people like low pack volume canopies. I think its great for reserves, since it gets people to upsize. But what will low pack volume mains do? People will need to use smaller containers to fit the same size main. They're not going to upsize. Think people are going to downsize their reserves so they can get smaller containers to fit their new main?

I guess a Pulse/Optimum combo would let someone have a small container and bigger canopies. But what do you think? Will people jump smaller reserves for the benefit of a low pack volume main?

BTW, I have no idea how small a Pulse will pack. I'm just speaking more generically about low pack volume mains.

Dave

It's evolution....If parachutes keep getting smaller and smaller eventualy we won't need them at all.

:P

20 years from now people will look at the gear we jump today and say...

I can't believe they used to jump that shit!

Just like we now scoff at the gear from the 80's. (well, not me of course)
B|B|B|

Onward and Upward!

>But what will low pack volume mains do?

Allow lower experience jumpers to choose from a wider range of used (or even new) containers if they know they will need, say, a 170 main.

And all of a sudden, that container that comes with a 120 reserve for real cheap is PERFECT since it'll fit a 170 main.

Unfortunately, most manufacturers don't make many sizes for bigger reserves than mains. Low pack volume mains could make that situation worse.

Dave

>And all of a sudden, that container that comes with a 120 reserve for real
>cheap is PERFECT since it'll fit a 170 main.

Well, a 170 won't fit into a 120-sized main container.

But take the example of a jumper who wants a 150, but can only find a container that will fit a 120. Now he can shoehorn a 150 in there. And yes, the container was designed for a PD126 - but lo and behold, PD now makes an Optimum 143 that fits in the same container.

Or they might find a container that fits a Sabre2 150/PD143. And they can jump that or get an Optimum 160 instead. The point is that now they have more options when it comes to used gear.

have they started making the optimum in larger sizes? I thought 143 was the biggest size you could get that reserve in. I WISH pd would think about us man sized jumpers and make it in a full range of sizes. I'd love to have one in the 218 size[:/]

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

But take the example of a jumper who wants a 150, but can only find a container that will fit a 120. Now he can shoehorn a 150 in there. And yes, the container was designed for a PD126 - but lo and behold, PD now makes an Optimum 143 that fits in the same container.

Or they might find a container that fits a Sabre2 150/PD143. And they can jump that or get an Optimum 160 instead. The point is that now they have more options when it comes to used gear.

And given the availability of adequate sized gear for new jumpers, more options is a good thing, IMO.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

sweet thanks for that. now if they will just get done with their invetory and start up the demo program again. I'll prob give them some cash
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

aww just sew a throw pillow into the bottom of the pack tray:P:P

I had a 150 Stilleto in my old Vector while Bruce was fixing my Nitron. Tod packed a Raven 3 (253 7 cell) in the same container to practice for bridge day, it fit pretty easy. He did have to lengthen the closing loop a little. Do you think I should start with a throw pillow or go straight for the king size?
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

While they're at it they should also make high pack volume mains, so I can put a 150 in the same container as an appropriately sized (for my weight) reserve.

They have been for a long time. My Sabre 2 150 has a big logo on the bottom skin and almost the whole bottom skin is double layerd. It packs like a 170. It will only cost you an extra $800!:o:P
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Aerodyne had their low volume mains on display yesterday, and they also had their new crossbrace out too.

New is sort of a misnomer, as Brian has been producing Senseis privately for a few select folks for a bit, he just finally found someone to mass produce it. The only difference is that they are using that fancy new ZP X that Aerodyne is using now.
Not again!