surfbum5412

Do you ever smoke weed before jumping?

But sparking-up could continue on, un-abated. :S Classic. - J/K. I have absolutely no idea that is or was the case with/from this. Before anyone wants to go and jump on me. I just found the way that read, ...a report btw from THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA (although posted here) to be particularly striking.

Consider as a result, what something like this does as well, for the reputation of our sport, and the DZ's etc. I don't personally care either way what anyone's own personal individual PRIVATE cannibus usage position may be - however, absolutely NO - NOT AT THE DROPZONE!! >:( to spark-up any time at or around the DZ, is, IMHO, incredibly SELFISH, based on not even necessarily what it can do to you, but the exposure to ramifications it could have on others too, as a result.

Do everyone a favor. Keep your weed at home.

JMO,
-Grant

What you smoking? ;)That is some of the most bizarre syntax I've seen in a while.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I think if you look at how society in general treats pot you get a good sense for what is reasonable. Most countries tolerate personal discrete use even though in it is almost universally illegal. Those same places for the most part do not tolerate large scale production, distribution, or sales. They also usually enforce the letter of the law if minors are involved. Here is a link to the laws and their actual enforcement by country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_country

This tells me that if you keep it to yourself (or amongst like-minded friends), be discrete, and not use it in a manner that increases danger and risk factors for others - even the authorities are likely to leave you alone.

My personal opinion on the original question is that going for a skydive stoned is irresponsibly imposing risk on others. Same as drinking.

Keep it on the ground.

If you must smoke, don't dive.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Lot of interesting reading here. Good points. Silly stuff. Useless stuff. Valuable stuff. But what I'd like to see is every poster tell us their own smoking habits/practices. The history and the current state of activity. I only ask because I feel it validates opinion. I'm sure a number of those who fall on the "anti" side probably don't smoke at all or much or have never or have since stopped or never smoked much to begin with. Not everyone on the anti side, just the greater majority. By contrast, I'd wager anyone who is in favor or doesn't mind or see anything wrong is likely a frequent smoker or has been ... you get the point.

Also, I'd like to see the discussion address the OP's question which I think asks about being high while skydiving rather than ask about legality, responsibility and consequences, which are all valid discussions, don't get me wrong. (Unless the broad question is meant to encompass everything. Don't really know.) But I think some of these opinions are addressing, say, the legal or responsible by being anti, but are not addressing the simple question of being high while skydiving. I think that were the answers focused only on that, we would find a few more in the "pro" corner than we've seen here. Just an early morning guess.

I tried it once. I was young. Took one drag waited a while and decided that if I wanted to be dizzy I'd do a few pirouettes. That is a lot cheaper and another plus is that a pirhouette doesn't give you that awful burning sensation in your respiratory tract.
Besides, feeling dizzy/lightheaded is scary for me.

My opinion: Do whatever you like, but NOT before you jump. Drugs and alcohol should not be combined with skydiving, no matter how people claim they can handle it.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

i used to smoke a ton of weed when i was younger i burn now when i want to relax after a long day .weed is like whiskey, it effects differnt people differnt ways ,some people drink and are fun and want to love you to death some people get angry and want to kill you (i'm sure everyone knows this type of person ). should you jump high with other people? NO. but if you are doing a solo in clear airspace or a sunset hop and pop at 10 grand and burn one on the way down that is your choice. skydiving is a sport where you push your personal limits and only you know your limits in regard to this.do we want more self rightous sky nazi's telling us we cant smoke or drink or swoop or downsize to soon when the outcome effects only us?

Hi zoom,

Disclaimer: I have never smoked anything, including pot. I have, however, drank more than my share of alcohol.

I also, firmly, believe that we should be able to do as we want as long as it does not effect someone else.

Given that, would you consider running this thought past your DZO before you make that jump:

but if you are doing a solo in clear airspace or a sunset hop and pop at 10 grand and burn one on the way down that is your choice.

Some how I doubt that he would agree with you,

JerryBaumchen

...But what I'd like to see is every poster tell us their own smoking habits/practices. The history and the current state of activity. I only ask because I feel it validates opinion. I'm sure a number of those who fall on the "anti" side probably don't smoke at all or much or have never or have since stopped or never smoked much to begin with.

Well, I won’t comment directly about my experience with weed, but there is a certain experienced jumper I know who was an S&TA at a large drop zone where smoking was somewhat common, even among the very experienced local swoopers.

As I recall this former S&TA smoked quite a bit in his younger days, and back then he made just a few morning jumps with a lingering buzz from the night before. He didn’t really like jumping with that buzz ‘cause it made him feel paranoid. Back in the day he did enjoy a bit of coke before take off in the slow climbing Cessna, and was especially pleased that it made the climb to altitude go faster and wasn’t a big issue 20 minutes later. Of course he hated the addictive properties of coke and stopped using it in the late 80’s. He stopped smoking weed in the late 90’s (mostly), but still played around with bags of nitrous oxide on occasion.

It’s my understanding that this certain former S&TA never minded when folks were smoking on the DZ, but he hated it when they made skydives when high, even though he understood some of the top local swoopers were super focused when they were high. He knew that while smoking dope worked for some of the jumpers, it left other jumpers as flubbering fools, and certainly added to the risk imposed on non-partiers. He was also aware that some of the jumpers, including at least one now deceased AFF instructor, were using much more serious drugs while jumping. He always shuddered when somebody went in, or almost went in, fearful that a blood test would expose the DZ to scrutiny by the very conservative local population, many of whom hated the DZ anyway and were looking for ways to shut it down. When he knew that specific jumpers, especially those in positions of responsibility, were jumping high he often felt that he was placed in a tough position, but kinda understood that the culture of the DZ was what it was, so he pretty much took a ‘whatever’ attitude toward weed.

As I understand it, this experienced jumper is perfectly accepting of marijuana as a personal choice, but wishes skydivers would respect the other folks in the air and not jump while high. I don’t think he gets high very often these days, but there are times when he really wants to blow a super fat joint, and veg out to Dark Side of the Moon and a big bowl of Sugar Frosted Flakes. Unfortunately he doesn’t have any marijuana available in his house when those rare occasions arise. Nor does he have any desire to jump while high, or to skydive with others while they are high.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Not nowadays. Thirty years ago things were different. I never felt like it was a problem back then. I even knew a few people who jumped on shrooms or blotter acid. But I did witness one fatality were a lot of people knew the guy had just got stoned out in the parking lot less than an hour before. He was also jumping borrowed gear and one of his arms was in a cast. To make a long story short, he flailed in and pulled his reserve below a hundred ft. Bummer, man...

I don't smoke the weed anymore. I have too many problems with it and don't like it. I think it should be legal and that people who have problems with it should get treatment for their problems. But I also think people who drive stoned should be pulled over and locked up on a DUI, just like people who drive drunk.

I don't think the sky is the place to be stoned. The people who are jumping with you have the right to expect you to be safe and clear headed. It's that simple. It's selfish and irresponsible to inflict one's own impaired condition on other people and then expect them to be okay with it. You wanna get lit, fine. Wait for the "green light" after sunset load.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Dude, I remember this one S&TA that would have his cypress turned off on the way to altitude because, as he put it, Every now and then, you have to suck it down.....

>even among the very experienced local swoopers
>he understood some of the top local swoopers

Sure Sure.....It always the Swoopers....I just knew that was the reason they always traveled in packs, wore the same cologne, and had the cool sunglasses on....Those Fuckers....Lets burn their cars or something...

All kidding aside, One of the things that I always found appealing about this sport was the somewhat outlaw nature of it. That being said, If someone can on a regular basis gear up, make the skydive and perform as needed, cause no harm, and be able to do it again in 20 minutes. Who care's what they were doing before. Stoned or straight, they just did what everybody else expects them to do, Make a safe skydive. From what I have witnessed in this sport, you stand more of a chance having a straight 500 jump wonder kill you or hurt you than a stoner.

These rules (or NO RULES) apply to funjumps only!

As for the lesser of two evils argument, I have seen far more damage and injury caused by drunks and hungover idiots than weed anyday.

By the way, Does anyone know what having an OTTLEY number means??

ANYONE??

By the way, Does anyone know what having an OTTLEY number means??

ANYONE??

WHO? ;)

To address your other comments~

In my opinion the day has past when we as a group can condone privately or publicly the use of illegal substances regarding our little pass-time.

Skydiving has jumped the shark and gone corporate.

We live in a world in which the topic of sexual harassment is covered during the Tandem Instructor course...the implications and ramifications of overlooking societies laws can be costly on many levels.

Younger jumpers are not fully aware of what all is at stake when they 'partake'.

-Certainly the foremost is the safety aspect, if anyone actually believes they perform 'better' impaired...they've been doin' too much for too long.
Skydiving is an inherently dangerous activity, we've seen some of the best and brightest of our community 'go in', clean & sober...having done everything right.

To purposely dull whatever edge you have going into the game in pure lunacy.

-Another aspect is what using 'might' do to the sport.
We're in a give & take relationship with the people that facilitate our adrenaline addiction...
They take our money and give us clean facilities, safe aircraft, knowledgeable pilots...etc.
We take their altitude and hopefully give them an assurance that we won't go out of our way to damage the investment they've made.

Buying the farm with 3 different street drugs in your system and giving the DZ a reputation as a drugged out crater city isn't (most likely) the way anyone would want to be remembered.

What I would like people to consider is~

If you're getting bent before you jump, I don't like it but fine...just shut the fuck up about it.
It's nothing to boast about and since it's both unsafe, and against the law, you are gambling with more than your own interests.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

i dont have enough jumps to feel comtortable after burning or having a drink, and you are right it is a added risk that makes skydiving look bad.lets look at the safety aspect of other added risk . #1- mid air coll. lets limit the air space to 1 jumper at a time,no more added risk. #2-swooping-people die from this added risk lets not do it anymore.#3 heavy wing loading-jumping higher then 1:1 is a added risk ,you dont need to go that fast,a scale at manifest could save lives. #4 boogies- encourages people to do crazy things like raft dives(if you want to play with a raft go to the lake)hoop dives and stuff like that. if we all jump on that safety bandwagon and help with ideas like these skydiving could be as safe as bowling . thanks for your support the public will love us.

i dont have enough jumps to feel comtortable after burning or having a drink

So are you saying that at some point you think you will feel comfortable with it?

I've had 2 cutaways, they happened so fast I can't imagine what the experience would have been like had my reaction time been impared. I don't want to know either. :|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

To purposely dull whatever edge you have going into the game in pure lunacy.

Yes. I love feeling the edge, and need the level of awareness that comes with the edge.

The Edge - need it, love it, want it.

And what Mama said about reaction time. I'm sure there are studies and tests that have been done. Too lazy to look for them; but I just consider somebody who jumps stoned and thinks they aren't effected as similar to the drinker that insists they are a better driver after a couple drinks.

Yeah, . . right.

>and help with ideas like these skydiving could be as safe as bowling

Skydiving will never be as safe as bowling. It is an inherently dangerous ADULT sport that can cost you your life just by showing up at the DZ. The moment YOU make the CHOICE of wearing a rig, YOU have to be ready and able to save YOUR life. If you want a soft and fuzzy sport, I suggest miniature golf.

While I do not condone the ingestion of certain substances while jumping, The simple fact is that it does happen on a regular basis with very few incidents as a result. And if we are going to condem and blame a certain group of individuals for the all the trouble in this sport. Lets look at the incident reports and ban what kills us the most.
PARACHUTES IN GENERAL, and 200 JUMP WONDERS.

Myself....I would be happy with a lifetime ban on anyone that cannot fly a correct and predictable pattern every time.
And any student that refuses to understand that it's their job and no one elses to open their parachute and if you are unwilling to accept that fact, Step aside, you are holding up the line.

Like any good argument this one is full of entangled threads and unconnected parts. Is it moral? Is it legal? Is it an impairment? Is it fair? Is it equal?
Well, the one thing that could change in our lifetime is whether it is legal. So, what if it were legal? What changes? Do you draw the line if someone has a single beer before jumping? (It's legal and one is not likely to be an impairment. It could, but it isn't highly likely.) So if pot became legal, what changes in our outlook? And for those who have little or no experience with it, yet have an opinion, how do you know? As for those who do have the experience of 420 24/7, can you argue objectively too?
I'm just putting some questions out there. Don't have the answers myself. Carry on.

And for those who have little or no experience with it, yet have an opinion, how do you know? As for those who do have the experience of 420 24/7, can you argue objectively too?

Nice.

I think this is pretty much one of the hardest corners in this debate. Somebody earlier mentioned that they thought people who smoke and drive should be put in jail, but driving and smoking is one of my favorite activities. I was even taught by my doctor and the cannabis dispensaries what the procedures are if we get puled over, as it is such a common location for people to "medicate."

But as pointed out, I have a lot of experience with it and am comfortable with it. Now, I have friends who I smoke with, and I hardly trust them playing a video game when they are high much less drive a car. So, I guess my best answer is there isn't now nor will there ever be an acceptable standard.

Same with alcohol, of course... there are those who can slam a 6-pack and function perfectly, and those who have a light beer and need help out of their chair....

But perfect point, I'm glad you made it... there are an awful lot of "never done its" that criticize what they don't know just because it was deemed illegal. There are also a lot of "it's not a big deal" people who have been smoking continuously for years. So I stand by my original point that whether or not you can handle it, it's a bit inconsiderate to jump stoned IMO... it's not hard to wait til the end of the day (fellow smokers keeping in mind this is from the mouth of a very avid smoker)
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

But perfect point, I'm glad you made it... there are an awful lot of "never done its" that criticize what they don't know just because it was deemed illegal.

You do know this is a skydiving website right? :D

The 'never done it's' couldn't field an Over The Line softball team! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It doesn't matter whether it is legal or not.

In the UK it is strictly forbidden to have any alcohol before jumping. I have seen a DZO make a tandem student pour away a just opened bottle of champagne because having open alcohol on the DZ is not allowed before the beer light. I have also seen the rule enforced in Spain.

I don't smoke dope as I prefer alcohol to get high, but can't see how jumping with cannabis in the body is different to alcohol. It should be zero tolerance. Skydiving requires concentration and drugs that impair that are just a problem waiting to happen. As Skymama says, it is the times that fast reactions are needed that the rule is in place for. That includes malfunctions, digging out of hook turns too low, and avoiding collisions whether in freefall or under canopy.

I am not a puritan, and will drive after having a drink, but hopefully always under the legal limit. However I think that skydiving does need to set clear rules for the safety of all of us that do it.

Personally,I would be unimpressed if one of my staff thought it was alright to have a joint occasionally during the day, or keep a bottle of whisky to sip on at work. Most of them are at little risk of harming themselves at work, but I do need to rely on them being fit to do what they are being paid for. More so if I was skydiving with them.

Al

isn't 13,000 ft high enough?:S

No. Parachuting with a big canopy from 13,000 feet is just not that exciting after you've done it enough. If you don't want to switch hobbies you need to find ways to make it more interesting. Jumping parachutes the size of your bedsheets + duvet, starting at 200-400 feet, and tight nasty landing areas are all exciting; but adding drugs to basic skydiving could arguably be safer especially without enough experience to reduce your risk on other fun modifications.

>I don't smoke dope as I prefer alcohol to get high, but can't see how jumping with cannabis in the body is different to alcohol

Alcohol is a depressant, Cannabis is not...

I am not a puritan, and will drive after having a drink, but hopefully always under the legal limit.

So, evidently it's ok to risk the live's of people that share the road with you because you think your under the limit.
Alcohol use also causes belligerence and arrogance. Again, two trait's that are not associated with cannabis use.

While cannabis is not legal, it certainly has less impact on peoples lives and those around them than alcohol. The two substances are completly different in their effect's on people.

Same with alcohol, of course... there are those who can slam a 6-pack and function perfectly, and those who have a light beer and need help out of their chair....

I've seen a few demonstrations over the years of people doing reaction time experiments after drinking. No way does somebody slam a 6-pack and not have their reaction time impaired. They may still know the right answers, but their execution is for shit.

~duvet~

Somebody told me once, if ya know what that is.... and yer not married, you're gay. :ph34r:
Well J-man, I don't know what that means so I guess I'm not gay, but I think my roommate is because last night his cock tasted like shit...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…