surfbum5412

Do you ever smoke weed before jumping?

Weed makes me all sleepy and lazy... not the state I'd like to be in when I see [insert high speed mal].
Althogh I do have some friends who look like energizer bunnys when they smoke it, they might do it before the jump B|

I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Sure.. go for it...getting stoned and then jumping.. what could possibly happen.:S

If I see someone going for a "safety meeting" I will be avoiding them in the sky... just a little rule I have for my personal safety.

I dont give a rat'z azz about what someone does after the planes are on the ground after the sunset load.. but I will NOT be jumping with someone I even THINK is on their way to any kind of impairment..

I have once, back when i had about 60 or 70 jumps. While it wasn't an unpleasant experience i now need to be functioning at 110%, especially because of the canopy i jump and also since most of my jumps consist of tandem videos where a student's life is at risk.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I know a few BASE jumpers that smoke before jumping. If you take out of equation the "deaths hurt our sport" argument, I have no problem with it to be honest.

When you're at a dropzone though, jumping out of the same plane with your sober peers, sharing the same airspace in freefall and under canopy... then it becomes your responsibility to NOT smoke before jumping.

Simple as that.

When you're at a dropzone though, jumping out of the same plane with your sober peers, sharing the same airspace in freefall and under canopy... then it becomes your responsibility to NOT smoke before jumping.

Simple as that.

If you've been smoking prior and an incident occurs, you may be hanging the pilot out to dry as well.

I know a few BASE jumpers that smoke before jumping. If you take out of equation the "deaths hurt our sport" argument, I have no problem with it to be honest.

Just to be clear then, is it OK if everyone on the load is high?

Or how about if you're getting out on a low pass all by yourself, or maybe just with your 'safe' friends?

What of half of the laod is high, and half just shotgunned a beer or two? Does that work?

How does coke fit into this whole thing?

As cut-n-pasted directly out of that story...

The toxicology report, prepared by St. Louis University Hospital laboratory officials, showed Passmore's blood had a cannabis level about double that at which a person is considered impaired, according to laboratory director Dr. Christopher Long.

"This (level in Passmore's blood) demonstrates relatively acute smoking within the last couple of hours before his death," said Long. This is serious impairment due to marijuana--cannabis--that would affect everything you could possibly use to skydive, particularly reaction time and depth perception."...

After Passmore's death, Nelson said he banned pond swooping at the jump zone.

But sparking-up could continue on, un-abated. :S Classic. - J/K. I have absolutely no idea that is or was the case with/from this. Before anyone wants to go and jump on me. I just found the way that read, ...a report btw from THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA (although posted here) to be particularly striking.

Consider as a result, what something like this does as well, for the reputation of our sport, and the DZ's etc. I don't personally care either way what anyone's own personal individual PRIVATE cannibus usage position may be - however, absolutely NO - NOT AT THE DROPZONE!! >:( to spark-up any time at or around the DZ, is, IMHO, incredibly SELFISH, based on not even necessarily what it can do to you, but the exposure to ramifications it could have on others too, as a result.

Do everyone a favor. Keep your weed at home.

JMO,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

After Passmore's death, Nelson said he banned pond swooping at the jump zone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But sparking-up could continue on, un-abated. Classic. - J/K. I have absolutely no idea that is or was the case with/from this. Before anyone wants to go and jump on me. I just found the way that read, ...a report btw from THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA (although posted here) to be particularly striking.

I hear what you're saying, but it common knowledge that smoking pot is illegal in the US, and therefore it's directly implied that you're not allowed to smoke pot.

Also, seeing as the entire article was about trying to connect the fatality to smoking pot, I think that too implies that it's a no-no.

Consider as a result, what something like this does as well, for the reputation of our sport, and the DZ's etc.

Sure, but at the same time there's always the outcry that we need to befriend all the students (tandems included) and encourage them to hang out after hours, be a part of the 'family', and spend some time around the bonfire.

What do you think the excessive drinking, nudity, and general pyromania does for the reputation of the sport, and the DZ?

I'm not even counting the other bonfire activities that come up - guns, explosives, fighting, passing out, throwing up, breaking things, throwing things, and grab a helemt in case there's a golf cart, scooter, motorcycle, atv, or pretty much anything with an engine nearby.

Nope. The image of a someone hitting the pond at the same time as their canopy, followed by a detailed reading of the toxycology reports present a very clear picture.

It's really quite simple.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=147

_Am

:S Yeah, that skydiving as well as HP landings are dangerous.

How many times do you think this man smoked and succesfully completed this manuever??

Fact of the matter is weed effects different people in different ways.
If your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Your mom goes HandHeld

I can't understand anyone that needs to smoke and then jump. I mean, isn't skydiving itself enough of a high? I know for me it's more than enough.

What surprised me the most is when I found the dzos knew about certain people lighting up and jumping and didn't seem to care considering other mundance things they restrict.

Surely you jest! Smoking weed is illegal, and most skydivers I know would never even CONSIDER doing anything illegal.

and yeah ... sure ... I'll stop calling you Shirley ... :D

As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?