half-a-greek

18 year old jumpers

I did it for my 18th birthday and haven't stopped since. (I'm 19 now) But its funny how I was like the first one in my school to go and everybody was like man thats badass I'm gonna go for sure. A year and a half later only 1 of my friends has done it which he quit after his 2nd tandem. It does suck being in college and skydiving, I only get to jump once or twice a month right now, but this summer will get better. Just can't afford the money nor the time to spend all day at the dropzone :(
"I didn't know they gave out rings at the holocaust"

Started when I was 18, jumped about every other weekend for about a year, now I jump both days of every weekend (school during the week).

I find that most of my friends are 25+, doesn't bother me or them remotely. I know of many jumpers who would have started long before 18 if they had the technology.... myself included. [:/]

It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

I'm just wishing that some of my friends will try it and get as addicted to it as I am

I also try to convince as many friends as I can to go jumping with me :) So far only two have taken the bait. The first one never came back after his first jump because he landed into a concrete pole! I was on the same load. The jumpmasters should not have let him jump because the winds were really high IMO. The second one stopped before his AFF 7 (why I don't know) and now he doesn't want to start again because he'd have to pay the full course again. I started jumping at 17 myself. The sport might be dominated by 20 year olds but that is definitely not the case at my dropzone I think :) Not many people of my age there :)
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

yeah money's a bitch, but a month or two of living in debt and running your car on fumes is well worth it IMO ;) I'm just wishing that some of my friends will try it and get as addicted to it as I am, that way they won't get so annoyed with me when I wont shut up about skydiving.

18 years old is not the time to get into debt. If you really want to get into it then it's not going to get any cheaper. Find some extra income to cover it.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

yeah money's a bitch, but a month or two of living in debt and running your car on fumes is well worth it IMO ;) I'm just wishing that some of my friends will try it and get as addicted to it as I am, that way they won't get so annoyed with me when I wont shut up about skydiving.

18 years old is not the time to get into debt. If you really want to get into it then it's not going to get any cheaper. Find some extra income to cover it.

I started at 18 and managed to make it through training, aff, 150 jumps and a coach rating (im 19 now) without going into debt How?

Packing my ass off and having an AWESOME DZO (Sherry Butcher) who let me work off everything I owed the dropzone. I think i worked in the red for over a year until i finally broke even:$.

The best way to do it is to have a real job for living expenses, and work as a packer and put all you your money on account at the dz.
BASE 1384

My little brother is 18 now.

Was he the one I saw on a few otters at WFFC in 2001? I was thinking - man, they make jumpers younger every year :D But then again, I'm taking my two-year old to the tunnel :S She's still a little afraid to fly, but she's getting inside the chamber, at least.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

i did AFF 1-3 the day after my 18th birthday. I worked the day before or i would have done it then. It took around a year cuz i had no money, but i finally got my A. Im 19 now and i jump as often as i can afford.
I'd wait for you outside the courtoom.
Taunting; when all of your appeals were declined.

Yes I admit I'm in debt, but it's extremely managed. A few more pay checks and everything will be in the green B|. In the future though, like when I go to buy gear, lift tickets, etc. I intend to pay in full. I have no regrets, but debt is not fun.

I made my first jump at 20, soon after I turned 21 and I'm taking on AFF level 6 Saturday (weather permitting). I wish I could jump more than every other week but the income of a college student is not very accommodating. I wont go into debt to pay for a jump but have thought about it. So to all my fellow college student wan a be dz regulars: on the top romen and beer diet, working the crappy job after school and non jump weekends when you should be doing your calculous homework or writing papers, daydreaming during physics because you have had personal experiences with lift, air resistance and drag that your whuffo professor couldn't dream of, I tip my red party cup of beer to you! and to all the men and women on the drop zone of a different age than me thanks for making it an enviting and fun place to hang out and learn the sport!