Tuna-Salad

Is there such a thing as being too relaxed while skydiving?

So last week I ripped one on the hill maybe 4 seconds into the skydive. When I first started I heard someone say that "If you can fart in free fall you are relaxed" or something to that effect. Don't know about you but I pretty much throw myself out there like a ragdoll. So do you think you can ever be too relaxed in free fall? (I'm talking about body, not situational awareness)
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Yes, but it is situational. To move quickly, you must force on the air. For example if your body is relaxed in your track, you likely are not getting maximum lift and speed. This will mean you are not creating the optimum distance from the rest of your group.

It helps if you start from a relaxed body position, but you must tense some portion of your body to move efficiently. Mentally relaxed is much more important than physically relaxed.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

I've definitely done the dead man fall once or twice. Just completely relax your whole body. Kinda fun. You end up falling back down and your legs and arms just kinda flail around above you. Make sure you've got some freefly bungee on your leg straps though cus they will ride up your legs. Its kinda fun to do though,

You can have every muscle loose to limp in freefall, but still be mentally aware. Craig Girard talks about being at an optimal state of arousal, alert but not over amped. The optimal level of arousal is that level that allows you to perform your best with good awareness.

So yes, I think you can be too relaxed, if that means not paying attention, not having your head in the dive.