schmit.paul

heading changes while tracking

Hi guys, quick question. I've got a pretty solid track after doing a bunch of coach dives with some good instructors at Eloy, but I've never gotten consistent advice about the best way to make minor to moderate heading changes while in a track while staying stable. Some have said that lowering one arm lifts that side of your body, causing more air to deflect toward that side, turning you the other direction. It also seems like dropping a shoulder could accomplish the same thing. I'm sure in theory you could use your legs to make adjustments, but it seems like that sort of maneuver would be inherently more prone to causing instabilities.

What do you guys prefer?
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than knowledge." ---Charles Darwin

I look the direction I want to go, far out on the horizon, and my body goes there. Most minor corrections, per what you asked, are done with such small movements that all you have to do is "think it" or "look where you want to go" and the rest just happens.

honestly dude, dont think about it, just do it. my problem is over thinking, think of your body as a wing, to turn left you lift the right side of your body, turn right, lift the left side...may have to give a little hand and arm adjustments to keep yourself stable but you will do it without thinking. good luck.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

Push down alittle in the direction you want to go. It works the same for the basic neutral freefall position. While your in a track, push your hand down to create alittle drag in the direction you want to go.
It make me laugh when people say, "think about it and it will just happen"...... :D

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I look the direction I want to go, far out on the horizon, and my body goes there. Most minor corrections, per what you asked, are done with such small movements that all you have to do is "think it" or "look where you want to go" and the rest just happens.

I guess that, that works for you because you have been doing it for so long that it's second nature.... New fledglings need a bit more information though.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I guess that, that works for you because you have been doing it for so long that it's second nature.... New fledglings need a bit more information though.

"Look where you want to go" always worked for me as a student at least, be it on my first freefalls (look for the plane) or while tracking.

I use hand, arm, shoulder, and leg input. Practice with all of them and don't worry about which causes more instability because as you getter better at all of them they won't cause instability (but they will add to your abilities and range).
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch