Madison

Goodbye "Skydiving Magazine"?

We mailed out pro-rated refund checks on Friday, January 16th.

Got mine today. Thanks.

Any chance we can buy back issues? I'd particularly like a few copies of #222. I'd settle for just the front cover! B|

And if you ever decide to open it back up, we'll re-subscribe, even at higher prices.

Blue skies and take care.

(>o|-
If you don't believe me, ask me.

With over 15,000 subscribers

It used to be 15,000 but recently it was only 7,000....

Just did a cached search on google and it quotes 8,400 on the 23rd Dec!!!! That is a bit of a drop it was showing 15,000 plus this time last year - the page goes on about the list is for sale at 10c a name ;)
Totally Free Skydiving Software/blue]
www.strollerweb.co.uk
www.gravity-power.com

I just got my check and will be sending it back with a big THANK YOU .. and the suggestion they use it for a Beverage of their choice.. I have enjoyed many hours of wonderfull reading and reporting of our sport.. I wish them well and throw a toat Ther way. I hope many will do the same..

Blue skies
Robby O D6747

It's very sad to see it go, but if it has to go, I'm glad that it went suddenly, and on the top of it's game.

I've written many articles for them over the years, and they always treated my copy well, and were very supportive and generous in their coverage of my organizing career both in the US and around the world. It was the only consistently readable publication produced in the US about the sport, and I loved the way that it wasn't afraid to take on sacred cows. It seems that it's last act was to bring to light the disarray that the USPA board was in, and allowed the membership to make informed decisions in the last elections. We would never have seen such coverage in the USPA magazine, which is essentially worthless.

I think that they must be suffering from a number of things, not least of which is the general malaise affecting the conventional print industry. Major newspapers are going out of business, so I can only imagine how hard it must be to produce something of the quality of Skydiving for such a small niche market. Also, after 30 years on the job, it's probably time to pass the torch on.

Which leads me to this. The new media is online. If you want to step into the void left by Skydiving, step up. The opportunity is there if you have the same perseverance and determination that Mike and Sue had three decades ago. If you do though, you know the standard that has been set.

I am really sad to see this day. I have been subscribing for over a decade - and one of my joys every month was to find an issue in the mail. I think returning the check is a great idea and thanks for all they they have done for the sport. We are really going to miss SKYDIVING. BUMMER.
Keith Abner
D-17590

"Those who do, can't explain; those who don't, can't understand"

This really sucks!! >:( I have been totally bummed out about it all day. :( I really enjoyed getting my mag each month. I had just renewed my membership but never got charged. I didn't get the last issue either. I will contact them tomorrow to see if I can get it, especially since it was the last one. (hopefully only for a short while)

I had a subscription several years ago, but just recently signed up again in 11\2008. This is very disheartening to those of us eager to get active in the sport. I hope they will come back soon! All my best wishes to those at Skydiving Magazine! YOU WILL BE MISSED!

BRAZ

Not enough subscribers or maybe something else?

Deland tower being built.

This really sucks...for $12/year its a steal...I'd pay double that easy.

Me too. I'd gladly pay $25 a year or a bit more if that would bring it back. The USPA rag will never have the editorial guts that SKYDIVING did. SKYDIVING would publish articles that dissed their major advertisers. How is that for integrity? What a shame.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

(In reply to my own depressing post):

I'd really like to see this somewhere, so I'm just gonna type it up:

"Maybe You've Heard":

"Mike Truffer and Sue Clifton win Skydiving Magazine's 'Skydivers of the Year Award'!"

Perfect!

Thank you Mike and Sue and the rest of the "Skydiving Mag." staff for all you've done for this sport. Words can't express enough gratitude, really.

I will not bound to my mailbox through 6 feet of snow, for one of the finest publications to ever reach my home, anymore.

This saddens me and the entire Skydiving community as if we've lost one of our best friends.

And even my best friends don't show up at my door every month, which is cool with me :o

Best of Luck to you in your new ventures.
Blue Skies Always,
April Schuldt

If there is a torch to pass, please let us/me know.
I do not want print to go out with the computer age,
not for such a beautiful sport.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

I just got mine too.

I quickly turned to the back hoping the editorial would explain why the paper is being shut down. I was disapointed that it did not.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised at this outcome. I had not heard of any attempt to sell the paper. To simply shut down leaves many questions unanswered.

Has anyone heard distinctly why this outcome? Surely there were alternatives?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.