Madison

Goodbye "Skydiving Magazine"?

I just spoke to "Skydiving" and logic prevails on reasoning of its departure. As Sue stated they have been doing the magazine for a long time. Regardless of subscriptions being down to distribute such an interesting publication on such a limited staff has been quite an accomplishment.
Words cannot be expressed on a simple post how we will miss this magazine. I wish everyone that has contributed to Skydiving the best for their futures.
I will be contributing my refund (over $50.00) to a local charity in the name of Skydiving Magazine.
Good luck and of course..... CYA!!!!!
ps. if you did not get my goodbye ask someone who base jumps

Few days ago I got as usual my January issue of Skydiving Magazine. A friend of mine who is a subscriber as well told me that he had seen sad news about the Magazine. Now I can see that it's really true that things are not with us forever, especially the good ones. I am a subscriber and a contributor to Skydiving Magazine for many years. What I liked the best with it is that there was no politic (or at least a very minimum) as you can find in official Association magazines like The Parachutist and (in Canada) Canpara which have to reflect the approach and policy of their Association (USPA and CSPA). We can say that Skydiving magazine was a very broadminded magazine which have dealt with all facets of our sport even the most controversial like some sort of BASE jumping or even more daring stuff. In Skydiving Magazine there was content for all skydivers: belly, head down, BASE, canopy pilots, accuracy and style, all countries, competitors, old timers, newbies, riggers, aviators, manufacturers... name it and well illustrated with high quality pictures. Mike Truffer's editorial was always (and I told him once), right on the target. I had the chance last year to meet Sue and Mike and I have thanked them personally for their good work. Then that's it. It's over. I will really miss that Magazine because it was unique and complete.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Well, I hope the option given to order something else rather than cash the check will benefit the Skydive mag crew. I will be ordering something they gave me an option for, and hope Skydiving comes back soon...and I would gladly pay more for it!!!!

Braz:(

Well don't be shy Jason!

Publish! ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To Skydiving Magazine:
Congratulations on a wonderful publication for so many years.
I like all aspects of being in the air - CRW/CF, BASE, wingsuits, legal, politics, competitions, etc.

Skydiving mag gave me the news, views, and information, that kept me informed, interested, educated, inspired, and enlightened about anything to do with nylon and string.

I have loved your work.
I enjoyed contributing once in a blue moon.
I am sad to see it go.

Enjoy the next phase of your lives. May it be filled with happiness, success, and new opportunities.

Stay Safe
Have Fun
Good Luck

Tom Begic
Australia

p.s. I won't cash my check.

Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I just got off the phone with Mike. I called to ask about getting a copy of the last issue (my sub. ran out before I got it) and we talked for probably 30 min. (when I apologized for taking up so much of his time he said "that's OK, I have a lot more time now" ;) )

He answered all of the questions that I had and I totally understand why they are "suspending publication". I did take the opportunity to personally thank him for his contribution to the sport for over 30 years and expressed to him how much we are going to miss the magazine.

Blue Skies,
Jason

He answered all of the questions that I had and I totally understand why they are "suspending publication".

Would you like to share any information or just tell us that you know more than us? [:/]

I'm sorry, I didn't intend for my post to sound like I know more than anyone else.

To sum up Mike's comments in a nutshell please see Jerry's post below:$

Blue Skies,
Jason

edited because Jerry's post wasn't here when I posted this originally.

Hi Peter,

Here is an excerpt from an email that I got from Mike:

"We've suspended the magazine because two key staffers have elected to move on to bigger and better things. Rather than recruit, hire and train replacements, I elected to take this option. The magazine has been financially sound since the early 1980s; in fact, 2008 was an exceptionally good year for it.

I'm not certain what the future holds for the magazine. Rather than leave our faithful subscribers hanging, we refunded the balances of their subscription payments. If the magazine should resume publication, we'd contact all former subscribers and invite them to re-subscribe.

Again, we've certainly enjoy publishing Skydiving, and it's gratifying to now receive the good wishes from so many subscribers and advertisers.

I'm sure you and I will cross paths again, Jerry; I'm not going anywhere!"

Does this get you what you are interested in?

JerryBaumchen

My wife just let me know that she was going to have a Skydiving Magazine subscription waiting for me for when I got back from the Sand Box, Iraq (next month or so). She decided to "ruin the surprise" because she hadn't heard anything from them... well I guess now I know why. [:/] It was an awesome publication I can only hope that it comes back. Semper Fi.